Why become a member? ×

My 3rd Orange Terror Bass Head 500 watt Replacement :-(

punkypuncher

Been in touch with Orange today, now sending me my 4th replacement in 3 years.
1st terror head last just under 1 year,2nd under a year,the 3rd only 4 months.
I personally love the tone & drive if these amps,but I feel my love is dieting now.
Very oppologetic Orange were today, but I don't a sorry, I want a reliable amp that will last more than 60 gigs a year.
Ampeg SVT is calling me.

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1386251748' post='2297723']
Been in touch with Orange today, now sending me my 4th replacement in 3 years.
1st terror head last just under 1 year,2nd under a year,the 3rd only 4 months.
I personally love the tone & drive if these amps,but I feel my love is dieting now.
Very oppologetic Orange were today, but I don't a sorry, I want a reliable amp that will last more than 60 gigs a year.
Ampeg SVT is calling me.
[/quote]

From having similar taste in amps as you, Aguilar may be worth a try. I tried one of the Tonehammers at the London Bass Show and thought it to be a more modern sounding Ampeg - was very impressed indeed. And probably weighs less than the handles on an SVT.

I had a brand new mark bass who's fan stopped at first session and it nearly melted, it happens to a small percentage of every make, customer service response is the key here and separates the brands, you've been very unlucky, hope it works out

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1386266472' post='2298040']
From having similar taste in amps as you, Aguilar may be worth a try. I tried one of the Tonehammers at the London Bass Show and thought it to be a more modern sounding Ampeg - was very impressed indeed. And probably weighs less than the handles on an SVT.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1386266472' post='2298040']
[/quote]

Aguilar have stolen Ampegs ground IMO.. and do it better. Here is hoping that Aguilar don't get too big and corporate and go the same way.
Last time I heard, Aguilar still had a very very small team..despite seemingly a global brand...these days

If you want reliability, you may want to look elsewhere as ampeg svt aren't always super reliable.
On the other hand, orange generally are robust, I bought mine second hand and gave me no issues at all. I don't mean to be rude or suggest anything, but how hard are you driving your amp? Is it possible you are pushing it too hard? The fact you have had replacements over a number of years minimises the risk of a batch/manufacturing issue. If you like the sound and need more clout, try the 1000 watt version

This is kinda what worries me about the whole class-D thing - the power amps are lighter, but they are way more complex, so there's way more to go wrong.

Do any of the micro-heads have a reputation for extremely good reliability, or do you run similar risks of failure with all of them?

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1386723662' post='2303833']
Had a call from the Managing Director today, very apologetic, offered me a AD200B.
Chuffed to nuts
:)
[/quote]

WHAT!??!?! That is superb.

What I can say is that Orange, being based in the UK, are extremely easy to deal with. Getting replacement heads every time is actually good, but they shouldn't keep blowing...bad luck I guess.

See, if it were me, I'd see this as a good thread. Good service, replacements (assuming at no cost) and dealt with properly.

You will not get this with many other brands.

Ampeg? No way.

Aguilar are great, but you pay for the fact they are imported and NOW we have a dealer network they have shot up £100!

If you like the Orange, stick with it. Good folks and good products, and good prices as we are much closer to them!