Why become a member? ×

Fender Tony Franklin fretless - any in shops anywhere?

franzbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1386169701' post='2296676']
I am in urgent need of one of these basses in sunburst finish. Does anyone know of any out there in retail land?

I already have a post in "Items Wanted", but that was for a straight purchase/trade.
[/quote]

Ha ha, how can one be in urgent need of a bass in a certain finish? This sounds like the voice of GAS Gareth (it speaks to me all to often, and strangely, sounds a lot like Clarky) :rolleyes:
All the best though
C
PS my '78 FL is sunburst and plays and sounds like a dream...........

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386173367' post='2296735']
Ha ha, how can one be in urgent need of a bass in a certain finish? This sounds like the voice of GAS Gareth (it speaks to me all to often, and strangely, sounds a lot like Clarky) :rolleyes:
All the best though
C
PS my '78 FL is sunburst and plays and sounds like a dream...........
[/quote]

We're all as bad as each other Chris. I am not a fan of black basses (the other fretless TF option). Although if I swapped the scratchplate to tort... :blink:

Yes, yours is lovely indeed, but I fancy the PJ setup (Wateroftyne's video sold it to me!)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1386173561' post='2296738']

We're all as bad as each other Chris. I am not a fan of black basses (the other fretless TF option). Although if I swapped the scratchplate to tort... :blink:

Yes, yours is lovely indeed, but I fancy the PJ setup (Wateroftyne's video sold it to me!)
[/quote]

Like mine Gareth? :)

[URL=http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/image-28.jpg.html][IMG]http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/nwmurphy/image-28.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1386173561' post='2296738']

[/quote]

Indeed, IIRC the TF comes in white also?

Re PJ, I used an East P-Retro in my old 70's fretted Precision and got tone very close to a J-PUP without having to mod anything. It's an option?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386174041' post='2296751']
Indeed, IIRC the TF comes in white also?

Re PJ, I used an East P-Retro in my old 70's fretted Precision and got tone very close to a J-PUP without having to mod anything. It's an option?
[/quote]

Yes, white and amber are the fretted versions, black and sunburst the fretless.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1386174653' post='2296757']
My only other suggestion would be to nag BC'er Gareth, who owns Legion's old sunburst TF fretless if i am not mistaken
[/quote]

I may drop him a speculative PM... (Edit: not interested in selling sadly)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1386174825' post='2296763']
If you really need one urgently, you're more than welcome to borrow mine. I'll need it back by next Thursday though as we have a gig the following day :)
[/quote]

That's a very kind offer. I'm okay for this weekend's gig though.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1386239687' post='2297494']
You're not helping Michael!

However, apparently Fender Europe are expecting a delivery next week :)
[/quote]
Gareth sorry I could not help on this occasion - can I congratulate you on your avatar photo - the late great Ronnie Lane - a terrifically original and severely under-rated bass player - I don't think anyone has ever repeated his type of bass lines - certainly a heavy influence on my own playing style for sure :)

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1386240040' post='2297498']
Gareth sorry I could not help on this occasion - can I congratulate you on your avatar photo - the late great Ronnie Lane - a terrifically original and severely under-rated bass player - I don't think anyone has ever repeated his type of bass lines - certainly a heavy influence on my own playing style for sure :)
[/quote]

No problem at all, thanks for coming back to me so quickly yesterday.

Yes, Ronnie was quite the man.