Why become a member? ×

pf500 died yesterday

Fizzer

Well, you can easily make a perfectly fine PF500 or PF350 to cut out. Its just their internal safety system. I can make my PF350 cut out in my bedroom if I want, but I never had any problems on a gig, even with single cab, pushed really hard (red and orange leds blinking constantly).

Maybe your amp IS fine?

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1391903980' post='2362594']
Maybe your amp IS fine?
[/quote]

Maybe it is, but I think if it happened to me I just wouldn't trust it any more. There's nothing more likely to ruin your concentration or enjoyment of playing live than constantly wondering if your gear is about to fail or not. It's all about confidence, isn't it? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1391903980' post='2362594']
Well, you can easily make a perfectly fine PF500 or PF350 to cut out. Its just their internal safety system. I can make my PF350 cut out in my bedroom if I want, but I never had any problems on a gig, even with single cab, pushed really hard (red and orange leds blinking constantly).

Maybe your amp IS fine?
[/quote]

Can you make blue smoke pour out of it any time you want? ;-)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1391947702' post='2362830']
I took a chance on the PF800 after hearing tons of issues about the 500. So far the 800 has been perfect (touch wood!).

Dunno if Ampeg changed something with this model?
[/quote]
Well the power amp is definitely different and I'd assume that it's the power section that the PF500 has issues with.

Does anybody know exactly what it is that fails in these amps? Although given that there seems to be 10 iterations of the thing the problem seems to be more deep seated than one particular aspect of the design.

It`s bizarre to say the least, my 1st had no issues at all, with 3 hour practices, 2 hour gigs, day long recording sessions, never a hint of a problem. Yet the second one, first time I used it, a really pungent smell, like burning wires.

As you say Musky, the PF800 has a different power amp, and I`m yet to read of any user-issues with this one so lets hope all sorted, as I thought the sound from the PF was great.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1391965044' post='2363064']
I've ran my pf350 for 100's of hours, and never had an issue.
[/quote]

I had to have my PF350 looked at once, though it was because I thought the Limiter had stopped working because it's light didn't illuminate, rather than a power amp/smoke machine of doom problem that appears to affect the PF500s.
Took it to Roland Lumby & he gave it the all clear. Never had any problems with it since. He DID say that he believed it's output was more/louder than 350 watts & that it should NOT be used on cabinets with tweeters/horns turned on(I think he said it does bad things to the peaks on Sine Waves.).

No idea if this will apply to any of the new batches of Portaflex heads. Just thought it might be handy to mention it.

Update to my previous post.................

Ran my PF500 last night at rehearsal, into a Peavey 2x15 4Ohm cab for at least two and a half hours with gain at 12 oclock , and master

at 12 oclock.LOUD, LOUD, LOUD !

I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT IT DID NOT CUT OUT AT ALL ! ! ! ! ! ! IT DID NOT EVEN GET HOT ! ! ! !

I have noticed that the fan is on all the time, interesting, because it was not on all the time prior to going away to Polar Audio, who said

there was no fault found !

Feel a bit more confident to use it on the next three gigs now.

Pete

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1386156881' post='2296423']
Unless you managed to collect all the smoke I don't think they will be able to do anything as Ampeg do not supply replacement smoke.
[/quote]
I genuinely LOLed at this.
I hope y'all manage to get your Ampeg issues sorted. Nothing worse than going into a gig with a real fear that your amp is going to fall over.

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1392119618' post='2364823']

I have noticed that the fan is on all the time, interesting, because it was not on all the time prior to going away to Polar Audio, who said

there was no fault found !
[/quote]

I've never had any problems with my pf500, and ever since I've had it the fan has always been running as far as I have known.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1392122128' post='2364904']
I've never had any problems with my pf500, and ever since I've had it the fan has always been running as far as I have known.
[/quote]

the fan ran all the time on the 2 PF500s I had too.

The PF 350 & 500s are by now notorious for dying out on you. Cannot comment on the PF 800. Too many horror stories here in California. They have a 2-3 year life for the most part. Admittedly the portaflex setup looks tops. The cabs hold up ( what too much can go wrong?) So best bet is if you just have your cab fin a compatible amp you like to go along with the show. I was really tempted by these 3 years ago but was warned by fellow Ampeg fanatics about the amps and they have proven right. My B100r is still holding up what 11 years, but that was a different time for Ampeg, before the fall. Now the Ampeg Heritage series are contenders but have that damn price tag. Jess Olivers farewell postcard!

• 3 weeks later...

Update............

Used it for the last three weekends ( over half volume ! ) ............................NO PROBLEM ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Used the same leads and cabs.

Feeling even more confident now.

Anyone know where you can get the revision issue of the amp ?

Pete

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1393922156' post='2385741']
....Feeling even more confident now....
[/quote]

Why? Unless you've fixed the problem it still isn't reliable.

Too many PF500's have failed here and in the US for me to have any confidence in them. There have been something like 10 revisions of the components. That points to a serious failure of design and product management at Ampeg. You might love the sound of this amp but it's got nothing to love when it's broken down!

If you're messing about down the Dog and Duck then maybe you can risk using this amp and it won't matter much if the band ends the night without a bass player (although it would very much matter to me if I was in that band), but if you're in as serious playing situation you've got to sell it and get something you can rely on 365 days a year.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393928840' post='2385836']
Of course they exist. I can list you many amps that have a reputation for being well made and reliable.
[/quote]

Yeah, but every amp has the capacity to break, just some less than others, but nothing is unbreakable.

....and how is that relevent to this post?

Everything can break? Sure it can, but the post is about stuff that breaks a lot and my reply was about stuff that hardly ever breaks!!!

For example my SVT3-PRO, used weekly, ran faultlessly for nearly 10 years until I upgraded.

Edited by chris_b