Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Curly lead = freedom!!

LITTLEWING

I think it would be a bit weird seeing a band all using curly leads again nowadays. That would be proper retro.

On the subject of curly leads, there must have been a good reason why people stopped using them by the late 1980's , even if no one nowadays can remember exactly what it was. .

Oooh look, a Bullet curly lead [url="http://www.bulletcable.com/bullet-points/bullet-points-bullet-coil-cable/"]Bullet Coil Cable[/url] not pulling the car cassette, sorry, GK MB 500 off the top of the amp, not even when I ventured to the other sise of the stage. Or at any of the 100+ gigs I've done with it. But, each to their own[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/1185398_10151873302111328_1376955823_n_zps186161da.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/1185398_10151873302111328_1376955823_n_zps186161da.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385929555' post='2293794']
On the subject of curly leads, there must have been a good reason why people stopped using them by the late 1980s, even if no one nowadays can remember exactly what it was...
[/quote]

I remember exactly what it was. They were crap. :)

I have a couple of curly leads I picked up late 70's/early 80's and I still use them. I tried a comparison of the 7 or 8 leads I have in my box and only one showed any deterioration of the treble end - and that's a relatively modern lead (Planet Waves) which I bought about 6 years ago. But since I don't use a lot of top end, I don't mind using it.

G.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1385930402' post='2293812']
I remember exactly what it was. They were crap. :)
[/quote]

As ever, I am impressed by your scientific analysis of the problem :lol: .

I could never stand the way the curly leads would hover at mid-thigh level under tension into the amp. Not a good look.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385929555' post='2293794']
I think it would be a bit weird seeing a band all using curly leads again nowadays. That would be proper retro.

On the subject of curly leads, there must have been a good reason why people stopped using them by the late 1980's , even if no one nowadays can remember exactly what it was. .
[/quote]
Because they were crap and lasted about 10 minutes before they broke. I still use them in my practise room to keep it tidier, but not for gigs.

Interestingly, this discussion about curly leads has led me to purchase a couple of these from a BCer :

[url="http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=18609"]http://www.creative.....aspx?pid=18609[/url]

Not retro or vintage of course, but at little more than the price of a Lava coiled cable, I'm not complaining. :)

Edit: Just tried out the system and it works a treat! Free! Free at last!! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386273107' post='2298188']
Interestingly, this discussion about curly leads has led me to purchase a couple of these from a BCer :

[url="http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=18609"]http://www.creative.....aspx?pid=18609[/url]

Not retro or vintage of course, but at little more than the price of a Lava coiled cable, I'm not complaining. :)

Edit: Just tried out the system and it works a treat! Free! Free at last!! :)
[/quote]

That looks a lot like a smoke alarm. Are you sure you haven't just bought a smoke alarm?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1386275671' post='2298225']
Are you sure you haven't just bought a smoke alarm?
[/quote]

TWO smoke alarms. One's a transmitter and one's a receiver.
And they do indeed act as smoke alarms - if you're using them with an Ashdown amp.

Edited by discreet

Our guitarses use wireless and approximately every second gig one loses guitar mid song due to battery death. And it annoys me to Hell and back.
But, they are guitarses and to Hell with a professional show, we are much too important to worry about that. :dash1:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1386319895' post='2298608']
Our guitarses use wireless and approximately every second gig one loses guitar mid song due to battery death.
[/quote]

Surely that's just down to the six 'P's (Prior Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance)?
My rechargeable units run for at least five hours so it's a logistics issue, [i]n'est-ce pas?[/i]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386320357' post='2298615']

Surely that's just down to the six 'P's (Prior Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance)?
My rechargeable units run for at least five hours so it's a logistics issue, [i]n'est-ce pas?[/i]
[/quote]

+1 Just press the button once a week to make sure it beeps

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386320357' post='2298615']
[/quote]

Down to the fact they are dickheads who think it's funny :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386273107' post='2298188']
Interestingly, this discussion about curly leads has led me to purchase (...)
[/quote]
Same here. I was buying some stuff for my project bass (strings, screws, bridge cover etc.) and found some Warwick RockCable curly cords sold insanely cheap, so I bough a 5m cable. Will express my opinion when I'll test it.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1385919313' post='2293626']
Most low-enders don't stand any more than 2 metres from their rig. Why would anybody want wireless at 200 squids a go??

Jeez!!
[/quote]

For those moments when you have to go out front and sound check your band, for those moments when you do have to cross the stage for whatever reason (normally to do with mixing from the stage), for those other moments where the singers guitar lead crossed yours and gets tangled up, for those moments when the cheap curly lead starts to crackle and break up, for tho.......

Agree it can be an excessive expense if you really dont need to move, but eve on very small, cramped stages im glad of my wireless system.

I too have used the white Fender coiled lead, in fact i have two of them, but even with home use only they can be temperamental. Then again, they are low cost leads.