Why become a member? ×

Choose me a new amp head.

Clarky72

I have a GK 2001RB that sounds immense, I love the tone, but it weighs a ton, load-ins up flights of stairs are unbearable.

I had a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 it was okay. Sounded ok, super light, but only ok. It sounded thin, no grunt.

What should I get? I looked at the GK MB Fusion 800 but haven't heard or played one.

I won't buy Markbass for the stupid reason I don't like the look of them, the yellow looks awful to me.

Something light at least 500W, ideally around 750W, doesn't have to be class D.

I play in covers bands, so need funk as well as rock out of it. I play into a Barefaced S12T with predominantly Jazz basses, so a passive signal.

Budget would be around £700 max I guess.

Cheers

I think you are looking in the right drection with the MB Fusion. After owning and trying quite a few amp heads myself (F1, F500, LM3, TH500, SVT7Pro, PF500), and wanting something small and light, I went back to the MB Fusion 500. I like the fat smooth warmth it has with soft fingerstyle with flats on a P bass. If you dig in, it gets snappy and funky. My 2nd choice would be the Aguilar. Both good in slightly different ways - I'd say the Aguilar has more going on in the lower mids but the Fusion sounds bigger.

Edited by markorbit

Thanks for this, I had considered Aguilar but hadn't got around to trying one out, plus I personally don't know anyone with one for any experience with it. At the moment it's still looking like the MB Fusion800 is still on top, but not before I try out the TH500.

Any other ideas people?

The Genz STL 6 can sound thin because they attenuated the low end for some reason! The STL 6.2 and the other GB amps have good bass response.

The Streamliners apparently have a huge low end. As you're already a GK user their 800 watt amps might be worth a look.

I'm using a TH500 and like the tone, a lot.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384858893' post='2281448']
The Genz STL 6 can sound thin because they attenuated the low end for some reason! The STL 6.2 and the other GB amps have good bass response.

The Streamliners apparently have a huge low end.
[/quote]

As I understand it, all GB lightweight heads have a high pass filter built in, but the cutoff point was lowered in later models. The Shuttle 6.2/9.2 and Streamliners have a cutoff point of 30Hz. I can vouch for the Streamliner having a huge new end, and my newly-acquired Shuttle 9.2 should be just as deep (first test tomorrow night)

[i]Orange terror bass ( it,s doin the italics thing again )[/i]
that,s better
500 or 1000 whatever yer cabs can take.I,ve got the 500 with a sp212 cab and haven,t been above 10 0clock on gain or volume and never feel outgunned at all.Easy amp to set up,almost plug and play as you can get in my case and I use different basses passive and active with the same settings.

Not sure what tone you're really looking for, but I am very impressed with my MB500. If you're anywhere near me, you are welcome to try it out. Personally, I'd rather go for an MB500 and have a choice of "character" and dirt from pedals, rather than be committed to whatever the Fusion adds (for the extra money it would take to get one). I'm just not convinced that pre-amp tubes add anything that you can't get from SS devices these days. Power tubes, now that's a different matter.

I've got the Orange Terror Bass 500 and am really pleased with it. Loads of volume and rarely get the volume past 2 or 3 without complaints from other band members or the sound guy, when partnered with two SP212 cabs. It's quite an old school tone which I like but isn't for everyone.

The only criticism I have is over the DI. It's VERY hot and unbuffered, so increasing the gain increases the DI level. Not an issue if you mic the cab, or run a DI pre-amp but something to be aware of and not ideal if you use the amp for overdrive and run through the desk.

[quote name='fivespoke' timestamp='1384900850' post='2282215']
I've got the Orange Terror Bass 500 and am really pleased with it. Loads of volume and rarely get the volume past 2 or 3 without complaints from other band members or the sound guy, when partnered with two SP212 cabs. It's quite an old school tone which I like but isn't for everyone.

The only criticism I have is over the DI. It's VERY hot and unbuffered, so increasing the gain increases the DI level. Not an issue if you mic the cab, or run a DI pre-amp but something to be aware of and not ideal if you use the amp for overdrive and run through the desk.
[/quote]

This should sort you out
http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600

If you like the famed GK sound you can`t go wrong with either the regular MB or the MB Fusion. Both have it. The main difference for me was that in the mix the MB Fusion was a lot thicker and warmer sounding (near Ampeg-type warmth) whereas the regular MB sounded more traditionally GK-like. I`ve read on Talkbass the MB Fusion described as the least GK sounding GK amp. That said I thought it was great and it still sounded like a GK, just not quite so clinical and grindy.

Genz Streamliner 900 would fit all of your criteria - its light, 900 watts, sounds huge and would be great for old school rock, funk and soul. And can be had for a bargainlicious £499 at the moment via GAK/Bassdirect. I picked up the 600 model a few days ago and am loving it so far, though I really need to put it through a loud band/gig situation to get the full picture.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1384964298' post='2282878']
I really need to put it through a loud band/gig situation to get the full picture.
[/quote]
You have a treat in store when you crank it up :D :D :D

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1384866450' post='2281562']
Thanks for the offer but we're opposite ends of the country!
[/quote]
If you're in london, feel free to come over try out my Streamliner. Bargain of the century at the moment.