Why become a member? ×

Choose me a new amp head.

Clarky72

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1385070218' post='2284229']
Got to agree that a Jazz and SWR are a classic sound.
I'd only vouch for old SWR kit before the sell-out, myself....
so a SM series would be fine.

I run a SM400 as a practice rig and wont sell it...
[/quote]

Same amp here. Awesome piece of kit that's also not for sale.

+1 for the Carvin BX series. Goes great with a Barefaced Super12 too. A Basschatter brought one to a gig for me to try, I bought one the next day.
I've got the 500, I had the Shuttle 6.0 before that with exactly the same issue as you describe for me, clinical and lacking in the round hairy things. Never had it at full volume, there's plenty of power!
Bassgear have them so you can try.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1385139388' post='2284952']
What sort of weight is the SM400, is it a light amp?
[/quote]

18lb, that's just a shade over 8kg to you or I. Not exactly [i]light[/i], but it won't give you an Ampeg-hernia™ either.

If you're anywhere near me you're welcome to come and have a play.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1385140520' post='2284969']
+1 for the Carvin BX series. Goes great with a Barefaced Super12 too. A Basschatter brought one to a gig for me to try, I bought one the next day.
I've got the 500, I had the Shuttle 6.0 before that with exactly the same issue as you describe for me, clinical and lacking in the round hairy things. Never had it at full volume, there's plenty of power!
Bassgear have them so you can try.
[/quote]

You're in Sussex. I'm in Sussex. Interesting. Lets talk.... :)

The Orange stuff is great, but the EQ section is not very versatile. I found that it sounded excellent flat.....which is helpful, because the sound didn't change a great deal with preamp tweaking.
I had the Genz Streamliner 900 for a bit, really didn't like it, couldn't get a tone that was pleasing to my ears in a band mix.
Aguilar is a fairly safe shout, lots of love, although I've never gigged one.

Yeah get over to Bass Gear to try a bunch of stuff in their amp room, great guys and an awesome shop!

I love my Markbass stuff, so not much more I can say haha

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1385297152' post='2286486']
The Orange stuff is great, but the EQ section is not very versatile. I found that it sounded excellent flat.....which is helpful, because the sound didn't change a great deal with preamp tweaking.
I had the Genz Streamliner 900 for a bit, really didn't like it, couldn't get a tone that was pleasing to my ears in a band mix.
Aguilar is a fairly safe shout, lots of love, although I've never gigged one.

Yeah get over to Bass Gear to try a bunch of stuff in their amp room, great guys and an awesome shop!

I love my Markbass stuff, so not much more I can say haha

Si
[/quote]
I remember that Orange amp you had, it was a bit of a one trick pony wasn't it?!
My Genz was the same, I just couldn't get a great sound in the mix that I liked and that cut through nicely.
Its looking more and more like Aguilar or GK... :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1385297567' post='2286492']
The offer still stands to come and try out my Tonehammer :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221654-for-sale-aguilar-tone-hammer-500-1-week-old-l565-inc-pp/page__p__2268376#entry2268376"]http://basschat.co.u...76#entry2268376[/url]
[/quote]

I might have to take you up on that offer you know....

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1384820175' post='2281245']

I won't buy Markbass for the stupid reason I don't like the look of them, the yellow looks awful to me.

[/quote]

That's a shame because my Markbass head (which I'm thinking of selling) has a great funk/fusion/rock sound when used with a Jazz bass. It takes pedals well and has the VPF function which I always thought sounded a bit like Justin Chancellor's (TOOL) tone when turned all the way up.

Its a fantastic loud and light head but I'm personally more into Ampeg stuff lately... just suits me better.

Different sound, I`ve only tried an Ag once, at The London Bass Show, and to me it was a more modern sounding Ampeg - same warm thick sound, but with better definition. I`m sure when I`m flush I`ll end up with an Ag at some point - tho my Markbass stuff is going nowhere!

Last night I practiced again with my band with my new TH500 and it sounded huge!
We are a rock/heavy band with two loud guitarrists and the kick drum throught the PA, the amp coped really well and the tone was present, big and defined!...I'm coming from using an Aguilar DB750 so pleasing me it's not easy :)

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1385676933' post='2291147']
Ah maaaan.. I really can't decide. I think I need to find a shop that stocks both to try side by side.
[/quote]

I know that feeling well :) ...I never tried the TH500 before buying it but I have been a long Aguilar user, Ampeg previously, and I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.
I know you are a bit far away but you are welcome to come and try mine out if you have a chance.