Why become a member? ×

Dorset and Somerset Bass Bash 2014: Post Event Critique

yorks5stringer

Yep, was a good time, glad to meet everything and I think I might have even learned something!

ETA, and Jim:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-5-String-Bass-EDC-705-Ergodyne-NO-RESERVE-/291078877593?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43c5a73199

Edited by Woodinblack

Big thanks to the organisers, it was a fun event & it was nice to put faces to the names.
Liked yorks5stringers Warwick Starbass, mojokes lakkie, jims status is a right slap machine & especially thor's 69 jazz, niiice! Had a go on the double bass too, that was a first for me & a blast once the shock wore off! Thanks all,
Norm

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1393192814' post='2377275']
Cheers to Keith for arranging everything, what a lovely way to spend the afternoon.
[/quote]

+1
TheRev, having a go on your superb double bass has sparked something, I'm going to have to start saving!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1393246094' post='2377668']

+1
TheRev, having a go on your superb double bass has sparked something, I'm going to have to start saving!
[/quote]

You're more than welcome mate. See you on the double bass forum very soon.....you belong to us now....

Attendees

Yorks5stringer, Dominsomerset ,Mojoke ,Thor, DorsetBlue, GrahamT, Woodinblack+1,Stevie,Jimrs2k,Norm,The Rev,James Budden, Ben Crowe.

As no-one took any photos, I'll try and do it from memory: Graham T brought his Hohner B Bass V, Mojoke had a Lakeland amongst 2 others, Dominsomerset brought a cheap and cheerful but nice Westfield Jazz along with a fretless pbass with Jazz pickups, Thor had a very nice 69 Jazz, Norm had a MM Stingray, The Rev brought his Double Bass, Woodinblack had a Squier VI and an Iby SGR, Jinrs2k brought his Status Kingbass. Doubtless missed some out including my own KBass V ( superjazz), the HB P/Jazz 5 string as mentioned elsewhere, and my Warwick Star Bass which everyone seemed to like. Mind as I organised the event it would have been rude not to....
Heads included GB Shuttle, MarkBass combos and cabs, my RJ TTE head and cab, Trace V5 and Barefaced Vintage Cab, Phil Jones briefcases, an EI head and some Fishman goodies with the Rev. Norm brought a shed load of pedals including a Mutron I seem to remember.

Guest speaker was Ben Crowe from Crimson Guitars who talked us through how one could use his tools to work on a Bass prior to and after setup. He brought along his prototype Perspex Bass for Charlie Jones which surprisingly was not too heavy due to nice carving and sculpting of the body. Should enough people be interested he is happy to run a Bass setup workshop where participants would learn all the tricks of the trade. We had a very entertaining hour plus with Ben and those present brought out their problem Basses and he explained how to resolve their issues! Ben also showed us some of the files and tools he makes, these can be seen in his online shop:http://crimsonguitars.com/shop/ There are also loads of online videos that anyone interested can access too on his site.

Norm enjoyed an impromptu Double Bass lesson courtesy of TheRev and James Budden (its all in the wrist/posture Norm!)

So all in all, we had a pretty decent afternoon, good job I brought an electric fire as the Skittle Alley was not warm and despite the Landlords protestations, the radiators never came on!

Apologies if I've missed out anyone who attended or missed mentioning their Bass/Head/Cab that they brought along, and onwards to the LBS this weekend!

Thanks to all who attended and Dave from Probass (ElectrovibeBasses) had to send his last minute apologies. However any Basschatter can obtain a £20 discount off any Bass on his website by mentioning the Bash ( and paying by direct bank transfer).http://www.probass.co.uk/Home.html

Trace head was a v4 & the mutron was a q-tron. Would love a mutron but they'm very expensive! ;-)
Jimrs2k's genz, fearful & status set up was full of grunt & worth a mention too.
double Bass was such a surprising challenge, it hurts! Might have to have a serious go though.
Norm.

Thanks to Keith for organising the event. I really enjoyed myself and learned a lot. Everybody was friendly and supportive.

If I had my time again I think that I would be applying to Ben at Crimson Guitars for an apprenticeship. What stunning creativity and workmanship!!

If you ever want to sell your Warwick Starbass please let me know..

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1393254840' post='2377797']
Trace head was a v4 & the mutron was a q-tron. Would love a mutron but they'm very expensive! ;-)
Jimrs2k's genz, fearful & status set up was full of grunt & worth a mention too.
double Bass was such a surprising challenge, it hurts! Might have to have a serious go though.
Norm.
[/quote]

Knew I'd get those Heads and things wrong!

My mind has been blown by the double bass experience! Struggling to think about anything else at work today, must resist, must.........
Woodinblack's white rockinbetter deserves a mention too, didn't get a chance to plug it in but it felt nice in the hand & had very cheeky checkerboard binding, lush! Phew :-)