Why become a member? ×

Dorset and Somerset Bass Bash 2014: Post Event Critique

yorks5stringer

I would have tried the double bass but scared by the amount of damage it seemed to cause to others!
It was nice to try so much stuff, and the amps. I managed to work out that the musicman wasn't for me, the Ibanez ergodyme of Jims definitely was, and my life would have been a lot better if I hadn't tried the '69 Jazz bass as if I hadn't, I wouldn't really want one!

And I bought a new stand!

[quote name='jimrs2k' timestamp='1393261975' post='2377933']
Norm, i really wanted a go on the upright, but i was too shy. Lol.
Love the idea but a little short on the skills me thinks, but it sounded lush through my kit and am also very tempted to dip my toe into the upright world ?
Need more disposable income,. Lol.
[/quote]

Aw mate, you should have had a go - no need to be shy about it.
Im playing in the Forresters Arms in East Coker (about 6 miles from the bass bash venue) this coming Saturday, so if you want a go on the big bass, you're more than welcome to come along on Saturday night and have a wee play.

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1393263830' post='2377968']
Yes, it was great to try all the diffrent kit.
I've just had a handful of haddock slapped round my chops by checking the prices of s/h double basses! £12000 !!!! Sobered me up quick sharp. ;-)
[/quote]
Bollocks to that! Have a look Thwaite's of Watford website - they have a 'basses under £1500' section with a bunch of Hungarian basses and an East German Musima bass like mine.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1393266352' post='2378017']

Bollocks to that! Have a look Thwaite's of Watford website - they have a 'basses under £1500' section with a bunch of Hungarian basses and an East German Musima bass like mine.
[/quote]

Yep, that comment was partly for comedic effect with tongue firmly in cheek! The first 2 ads I looked at were 12 grand & 10 grand though ;-)
Didn't mention the others for £500, ha ha!
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1393280133' post='2378313']
Yep, that comment was partly for comedic effect with tongue firmly in cheek! The first 2 ads I looked at were 12 grand & 10 grand though ;-)
Didn't mention the others for £500, ha ha!
Cheers,
Norm
[/quote]

You could do worse than start inhabiting this Lounge and topics, I don't think you need to wear sandals or grow a beard....(sorry, lazy stereophonics I know)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/230165-thomann-dbs-any-good-as-a-first-bass/page__pid__2372825#entry2372825"]http://basschat.co.u...25#entry2372825[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='jimrs2k' timestamp='1393261975' post='2377933']
Norm, i really wanted a go on the upright, but i was too shy. Lol.
Love the idea but a little short on the skills me thinks, but it sounded lush through my kit and am also very tempted to dip my toe into the upright world ?
Need more disposable income,. Lol.
[/quote]

Jim, you should of had a go. I was really surprised by how different it was, & yes, it made me feel totally incompetent but that has intrigued me, made me want to find out more. Managing to almost get a proper few notes out of it, with the assistance of TheRev & James was great. Might have to take the plunge & do some proper learning!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1393262964' post='2377950']
I would have tried the double bass but scared by the amount of damage it seemed to cause to others!
It was nice to try so much stuff, and the amps. I managed to work out that the musicman wasn't for me, the Ibanez ergodyme of Jims definitely was, and my life would have been a lot better if I hadn't tried the '69 Jazz bass as if I hadn't, I wouldn't really want one!

And I bought a new stand!
[/quote]
Should've had a go on the big bass, just for the experience!
& like you, I wish I hadn't tried Thor's jazz 'cos now I really want a vintage fender! How much will I get for a kidney? Probably not enough to buy a 60's. Both kidneys?!?!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1393283133' post='2378375']
Any advance on 2 then for the Set Up class?
[/quote]

Sorry for being late in with my thanks, but been a busy start to the week, then up to the LBGS this weekend, so lots to do! So... Thank you for your hard work in putting the afternoon together, and thanks to all others for letting me play with their stuff! It was great to meet you all.

Regarding Crimson/Ben, the afternoon has definitely re-seeded the idea of doing a self build, but overseen by someone who knows what they're doing rather than letting me hack away with abandon! However, having just ordered a new Behringer X32 I am now officially skint for the next couple of months, so it'll need to wait until after the summer now, but I will definitely be discussing again with Ben.