Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz bargains?

Mace

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1384424519' post='2276464']
But my opinion is that if you have to go poking around in the the cab to actually see something which in fact is not a fault, then surely it is slightly excessive attention to details. I mean, the screws are over engineered I'd have thought.
[/quote]

True. And if it wasn't for someone else's comment on here yesterday I doubt I would ever have noticed the screws!! :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1384424659' post='2276467']
[b][i]We[/i][/b] bought the cabs, with [b][i]our[/i][/b] money. I think we have the right to mention any little niggles! :)
[/quote]

You are of course correct.... My main niggle is the position of the handles... who's idea was that? a single one at the back of the top would have made it much easier to wheel around and one half way up each side would have made it easier to carry.

This might be just me, but I HATE lifting cabs to the chest area. I think its a potentially dangerous way to carry them as you can't see for a start!

I always lift, when possibly, with two people. I have a decent trolley I used when I moved house that can also double as a gear mover for getting to a car.

At 47lbs or whatever it is, its ok to lift by yourself, but I think its much safer and easier to use the top handles and get two people on it.

The Genz amps are put together in Taiwan - always have been. However, they are inspected and finished in the USA (might not be in a few months though!).

The QC on my amps is very very good. Much better than the last Markbass amp I owned.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1384424876' post='2276472']
You are of course correct.... My main niggle is the position of the handles... who's idea was that? a single one at the back of the top would have made it much easier to wheel around and one half way up each side would have made it easier to carry.
[/quote]

Well Barefaced reckon putting them we want them ruins the sound, thats why they use the strap type ones on the outside which I am not a fan of and might be ok with less weight but not really suited to the weight of the Genz really IMO

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1384426139' post='2276494']
They are in a terrible position if you use a proper sized amp too.
[/quote]
[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1384426139' post='2276494']
They are in a terrible position if you use a proper sized amp too.
[/quote]
nottswarwick has a GBE....any problems nottswarwick?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384428638' post='2276519']
Well Barefaced reckon putting them we want them ruins the sound, thats why they use the strap type ones on the outside which I am not a fan of and might be ok with less weight but not really suited to the weight of the Genz really IMO
[/quote]

Thats fair enough... I'd rather put up with it being a bit awkward to move around than have to compromise on the sound.

Yes, if you think about it, the cab handles don't actually (unless I'm mistaken) enter the area where the speakers are situated.

If they did, they would have to redesign for the changes to sound/performance, etc.

I used to have the TC RS212 (still have the RS210s) and I sold the RS212 to get the old NeoX212....but moving house etc got in the way and I never bothered. Now, I have the upgraded NX2 for less than what I originally sold the RS212 for!

The RS212 was a really nice, full/fat/low mid kick type cabinet. It was however heavier than the NX212 and could not handle as much wattage. It was very awkward to lift with the handles being where they were.

I've been using the slightly older NeoX212t for two or three years now and love it and I paid £450 used for mine !!!! What I'm looking forward too is when these cabs all flood into the used market place and you kind people let them go for shall we say .... errrrrr £200 yeah that will do : )

[quote name='Adee' timestamp='1384430656' post='2276545']
I've been using the slightly older NeoX212t for two or three years now and love it and I paid £450 used for mine !!!! What I'm looking forward too is when these cabs all flood into the used market place and you kind people let them go for shall we say .... errrrrr £200 yeah that will do : )
[/quote]

Haha! i think anyone wanting to sell soon would be best waiting to see what Fender make in its place. The next cab could be equal/re-branded or lesser, who knows! I really think Fender could miss a trick if they don't use the Genz engineers knowledge and previous products to make a monster lightweight Fender branded bass amp.

I've waited for this type of cab for years, so mine will be kept for a very long time!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1384431987' post='2276565']
me neither. I'd say it actually has quite a full and present midrange.
[/quote]

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.

The only thing that changed in my set-up was the cab - the new NX2-212T where previously there had been a BareFaced Compact. Same bass, same amp (with settings unaltered), same leads and effects, same fingers (maybe slightly more tired after a tough week...).

But there were audibly less mids. And a bit of an unpleasant, boomy hump in the high-bass/low-mid part of the spectrum. In fact, I ended up with the bass control on my LH500 set at ZERO in an attempt to get more mids and defeat the boomy bass. It is normally set at around 2. Mids set at 10 and treble at 3. Bright switch engaged and tweeter on the cab turned off.

As I said, that is not necessarily a [b][i]problem[/i][/b] with the cab - but it is definitely [b][i]different[/i][/b]! With a bit more time I should be able to overcome this but it has definitely changed the overall sound of the band, as a number of my band-mates pointed out last night. And not for the better. :(

Edited by Conan

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384428672' post='2276520']

nottswarwick has a GBE....any problems nottswarwick?
[/quote]

He does indeed, in a gator rack case. I can report no problems as such. I have always put a square of upholstery type foam between amp or rack cases and cabs anyway, just to keep things secure. But there is no prob that I can see

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1384433133' post='2276585']
And a bit of an unpleasant, boomy hump in the high-bass/low-mid part of the spectrum.
[/quote]

I hear that a bit in mine. But only when it is really really loud, so it's not really an issue, and I am still learning my GBE750 on very gig, as it takes a while to get to know an amp fully I think.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1384433346' post='2276592']
I am still learning my GBE750 on very gig, as it takes a while to get to know an amp fully I think.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. It took me a while to get a tone I was happy with from the LH500/Compact combination. The tone stack arrangement is rather idiosyncratic and counter-intuitive. Back to square one I think! :D

Edited by Conan

As BF state about their cabs, same applies here. It might take time for to EQ the cab how you like it.

Conan - Is your amp the Fender style EQ, eg mids are flat when mids boosted to max?

I'd lower the bass to 12, (or lower...it doesn't make much difference but saves you wattage!), keep the mids flat (or boost if possible) and keep the treble fairly flat or boosted as the tweeter has a fair amount of high freq information!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384433927' post='2276603']
Conan - Is your amp the Fender style EQ, eg mids are flat when mids boosted to max?

I'd lower the bass to 12, (or lower...it doesn't make much difference but saves you wattage!), keep the mids flat (or boost if possible) and keep the treble fairly flat or boosted as the tweeter has a fair amount of high freq information!
[/quote]

Yeah, the tonestack is supposed to be "flat" when set at bass 2, mids on full and treble on 2.

So when i had bass on zero, I should have been getting a significant boost to the mids. But the cab was swallowing it up! :rolleyes:

Just a wonder, GAK replied saying all of the cabs they get through now are MIM. So are the ones from Bass Direct USA ones or have some random old stock USA ones been sent out from the dusty store cupboards lol?

Also just wondering CamdenRob how do the MIM and USA built cabs compare in the finer details? Asking out of interest tbh, I'm sure they sound great whoever made them!

Afaik the covers are made in Batley, West Yorkshire.

Edited by jimbobothy