Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz bargains?

Mace

Everyones ears are tuned differently and the frequencies they want are different too, quite a few people shifted the barefaced cabs on for either a Genz neox or some form of bergantino because they were too muddy and couldn't get the top end zing, maybe the top end zing is at the expense of the mid so people requiring more mid will prefer the barefaced cabs, equally anyone using a more mid focused bass or an active one might prefer something else.

I think it depends where you want your mids!

There is more of a low mid bump in the NX2, so where it would 'punch' and sound forceful instead of providing the more mid mid or high mid detail.

To be honest though, as the Ed Friedland review shows, it is a very balanced cab compared to many. If you put sucked mids in, you will get sucked mids out.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384864230' post='2281520']
the NX2 is a very balanced cab compared to many. If you put sucked mids in, you will get sucked mids out.
[/quote]

Maybe... but I couldn't get any "mid-mids" at all from it. Even with the BD121 switched off, the neck pickup on my J soloed and my bass graphic showing a very sad face!! IMO, it was the cab that sucked the mids from the area where I want them, but it added some in to an area that I don't want!

Yes, everyone's ears are different - but to mine the NX2 was rather lacking in midrange.

But as I say, it's not my problem any more! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384866459' post='2281563']
Mine is covered in a quite thick black textured tolex. Very smooth.
[/quote]

You're right! :blush: Although it is a tolex-type covering it looks and feels very similar to the BF painted finish. At least to my eyes/fingers... :)

I am sad to hear that things aren't so good with GB (No - not Great Britain!) and a lot of rumours are flourishing. Anyway, I got myself a nice Genz Benz Streamliner 900, at a more than good price, that will come in handy when a small powerful rig is needed. Since my big 2126 cabs are 900 W RMS at 4 ohms, one of them is the perfect match to the S900. Even if the cab is rather big it is light, the whole rig is somewhere around 61-61 lbs.

The pedal board isn't ready yet, I'm waiting for cables with tighter jacks for closer placement. Some reorganizing still to do...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1384899825' post='2282188']
I am sad to hear that things aren't so good with GB (No - not Great Britain!) and a lot of rumours are flourishing. Anyway, I got myself a nice Genz Benz Streamliner 900, at a more than good price, that will come in handy when a small powerful rig is needed. Since my big 2126 cabs are 900 W RMS at 4 ohms, one of them is the perfect match to the S900. Even if the cab is rather big it is light, the whole rig is somewhere around 61-61 lbs.

The pedal board isn't ready yet, I'm waiting for cables with tighter jacks for closer placement. Some reorganizing still to do...
[/quote]

I have to say that cab is a little bit gorgeous :)

Thanks again to Basschat for yet another awesome headsup (following last year's Zoom 9u effects pedal GAK mega blowout - though I still haven't figured out how to use the damn thing!). I got much love for the Genz as I have a STL6.2/210T combo and love it, but for full vol gigs, I was missing the oomph of a 15" and have just picked up a Focus 115T extension cab. This of course acted as an enabler to then purchase a Streamliner 600 head so I now have two rigs - the shuttle rig, which is a bit more modern sounding and defined, and the streamliner+115 which can do the hairy old school thing. I'm happy as a pig in poo even if my bank account isn't. Glad I picked up a Streamliner before they're no longer available, its the perfect foil to the shuttle head.

I'd do it jimbo. The Shuttle and Streamliner are different enough to justify it. I'm absolutely loving the streamliner at the moment, but can imagine that I'll got back to the STL 6.2 in a few months and that will sound great due to its own strengths. The shuttle 6.0 is even more different as it was voiced to have less low end and the gain doesn't break in to overdrive as readily as the 6.2.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just succumbed to the Streamliner 900 from GAK at a great price (£485 delivered, with a gig bag thrown in gratis). I wanted something more powerful as my new band is a wee bit noisier than my other band. Reviews here seem good, and I would probably have spent similar money on something second hand with similar power, so I'm keen to get my hands on the Streamliner and really open it up.

What a bargain!