Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz bargains?

Mace

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1384332831' post='2275256']
my NX2-212 arrived from BD yesterday too (along with the Shuttle 9.2). The combination of the two sounds truly great!!!, however ..... not impressed with the build quality of NX2-212 cab. It's a bit micky-mousey. The handles screwed into the cabinet come out on the other side and are clearly visible along with the chips of wood that naturally break out when you drive a screw into a board. Also the cheap lookign foam at the bottom stapled into the bass does not look slick and will be a bitch to dust off. The label at the bottom of the grill looks like its about to come off... all these little things add up :(
[/quote]
That's dissapointing :(. Mine arrived yesterday from GAK and everything is spot on. Handles look fab, sticker is secure. Maybe you need to get back on to BD, as many basschatters have purchased these in the last few days and there are no reports of the cosmetic flaws you have described. Not sure what you refer to regarding the foam stapled into the bass. I am curious, so maybe you can clarify.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1384338656' post='2275362']
You bounder (said in a Terry Thomas accent)
[/quote]
I was referring to my impression of the quality of the build of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]NX2-212[/size][/font][/color]. By no means the cab arrived defected, but how it's been put together by Benz Genz. My quality benchmark are the Markbass cabs where all littlest details are taken care of. Perhaps this just relates to the design; the NX2-212 has vertical gaps where one can see the "stuff" (foam, screws from handles) inside, whereas with other cab design the "stuff" is hidden inside. In any case I'm not discouraging anyone from getting NX2-212 !

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1384341180' post='2275406']
I was referring to my impression of the quality of the build of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]NX2-212[/size][/font][/color]. By no means the cab arrived defected, but how it's been put together by Benz Genz. My quality benchmark are the Markbass cabs where all littlest details are taken care of. Perhaps this just relates to the design; the NX2-212 has vertical gaps where one can see the "stuff" (foam, screws from handles) inside, whereas with other cab design the "stuff" is hidden inside. In any case I'm not discouraging anyone from getting NX2-212 !
[/quote]

Those 'vertical gaps' are ports and are part of why the cab works so well. Even the speaker/cab gurus seem to think its a well designed cabinet.

I must admit, looking into the ports I can't see a thing. They are painted black...

I realize it's part of the [b]design[/b] and I do agree the [b]design[/b] works great ! It's attention to detail in the build I am talking about. Yes, they are painted black so unless you look hard and won't stick your hand too far into the port on the opposite side of the handles you won't see anything and scratch your hand on the screw. I may stick some pics latter on.

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1384343791' post='2275434']
I realize it's part of the [b]design[/b] and I do agree the [b]design[/b] works great ! It's attention to detail in the build I am talking about. Yes, they are painted black so unless you look hard and won't stick your hand too far into the port on the opposite side of the handles you won't see anything and scratch your hand on the screw. I may stick some pics latter on.
[/quote]

Yeah sure thing, good idea. We can all take a look see if its similar to ours. I am an absolute pain when it comes to satisfying my need for perfect QC, so I'm intrigued about this.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1384343986' post='2275439']
Yeah sure thing, good idea. We can all take a look see if its similar to ours. I am an absolute pain when it comes to satisfying my need for perfect QC, so I'm intrigued about this.
[/quote]
Me to +1. I have the Genz Benz set up beside two Markbass cabs and the build quality looks every bit as good to my eyes, though I am a fan of the 'rat fur' finish on the Mark Bass cabs

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='shemeckfrac' timestamp='1384341180' post='2275406']
[/quote]

Hi I totally understand what you are saying, and wasn't questioning it at all. My comment was light-heartedly aimed at BassTractor :)

Mine came today. A quick test in the house reveals that I like it !

It's not ultimately quite as loud or as deep (although that may change as it beds in) as my 2x12 and 1x15 rig but the one cab solution appeals to me. I've decided I'll keep it. Will rehearse it with the band tonight.

Got it, now need a lead. I get what was mentioned above Re quality. The screws for the handles protrude through the inside of the ply and the foam inside the cab (acoustic stuff I guess) is a bit rough. However saying that I'm sure it'll sound great and hopefully worth the spends!

mmm, also after looking at it with a beady eye the 2 of the corner protectors have a few slight scuffs etc on them. Hope it wasn't a repackaged return lol!! Also didn't realise they were made in Mexico, not that that matters anyhow I guess B)

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1384373083' post='2275938']
Got it, now need a lead. I get what was mentioned above Re quality. The screws for the handles protrude through the inside of the ply and the foam inside the cab (acoustic stuff I guess) is a bit rough. However saying that I'm sure it'll sound great and hopefully worth the spends!

mmm, also after looking at it with a beady eye the 2 of the corner protectors have a few slight scuffs etc on them. Hope it wasn't a repackaged return lol!! Also didn't realise they were made in Mexico, not that that matters anyhow I guess B)
[/quote]

The corner scuffs is odd. Did it come in a sealed box, in a big sealed bag with packaging around it? Does the serial on the box match the cabinet?

My cab says Scottsdale, AZ, USA. Made by Genz Benz.

Nothing about Mexico.

The screws don't pertrude through. The foam is hidden.

Are we sure some of these aren't now being made by Fender (Mexico)???? That would make sense as they are potentially rebranding everything!

I'd be interested to see the Mexico sticker.

Edited by Musicman20

Yup, all factory sealed but I did notice the box had extra sets of staple holes (with no staples in them!) in the top of it. So either it's been taken out at some point after packaging then repackaged for some reason or a return repackaged in it's original box. I guess the scuffs could be from moving it about in the factory, who knows? Even if I did send it back I wouldn't get another one as they're kinda out of stock now! I guess I'll never know, a bit odd though :huh:

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1384375399' post='2275987']
Yup, all factory sealed so thinking about it I guess it's from moving it about in the factory but I did notice the box had extra sets of old staple holes in the top of it. So either it's been taken out at some point after packaging for some reason or a return repackaged in it's original box. Who knows and even if I did send it back I wouldn't get another one as they're kinda out of stock now! I guess I'll never know, a bit odd though :huh:
[/quote]

That should be ok. Yeah mine was restapled. Guess they check them or repack. Mine is definitely brand new.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1384375805' post='2275995']
Guys lol there is some excessive cab scrutinisation occurring.

I'm the same when I get something new. Can't help it.

Just enjoy the bargain of the decade. :-)
[/quote]

Lol, yeah I'm super critical of anything I buy new. If it's second hand I'm not nearly as bothered, new though and it's a different story :lol:.

On another point just read about 2 pole and 4 pole speakon connectors, any preference between the two types?

On the 'Made in Mexico' thing I only noticed a sticker saying it on the crossover panel. I've also a Shuttle 6.0 12 T combo that hasn't got one on, not that it matters really. I just presumed that for the original RRP it would be made in the US of A :P

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1384356835' post='2275639']
My comment was light-heartedly aimed at BassTractor :)
[/quote]

Aiming is nothing if you're gonna move the rifle when pulling the trigger. This one went miles over my head. Wikipedia (Terry-Thomas) nor Wiktionary (bounder) helped me either, coz I didn't even understand the explanations written there. :lol:

Anyway, good cab, eh?