Why become a member? ×

Just another classic rock covers band...

KevB

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383170914' post='2261260']
It just wants me to long for the day when we have more bands playing originals and not the same old recycled songs of yesteryear.
[/quote]
Their are tonnes of bands playing originals. Maybe the reason that classic rock music still has a healthy following is because many of the current crop of original acts don't match up.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1383172336' post='2261282']
Their are tonnes of bands playing originals. Maybe the reason that classic rock music still has a healthy following is because many of the current crop of original acts don't match up.
[/quote]
I'm really glad that i lived through a time when groups actually played their own songs, otherwise Led Zeppelin, Yes and Deep Purple would have been playing covers by the Glenn Miller Orchestra and we would never had had those classic original songs by them.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383173441' post='2261301']
I'm really glad that i lived through a time when groups actually played their own songs, otherwise Led Zeppelin, Yes and Deep Purple would have been playing covers by the Glenn Miller Orchestra and we would never had had those classic original songs by them.
[/quote]
There are still bands out there gigging original material - they're just not playing the covers circuit...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1383173913' post='2261309']
There are still bands out there gigging original material - they're just not playing the covers circuit...
[/quote]
Of course there are and those are the ones i go and see.

If i want to hear classic rock i'll have a night in and listen to the real thing.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383174389' post='2261316']
Of course there are and those are the ones i go and see.

If i want to hear classic rock i'll have a night in and listen to the real thing.
[/quote]
They are a very good covers band - I'm happy to just appreciate them for what they are...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1383174765' post='2261323']
They are a very good covers band - I'm happy to just appreciate them for what they are...
[/quote]
That's great but if i'm making the effort to go out and see a band ii'd rather see a mediocre band playing their own material than a superbly proficient band play the usual tired old songs i've heard a thousand times and often by the original band.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383175239' post='2261327']
That's great but if i'm making the effort to go out and see a band ii'd rather see a mediocre band playing their own material than a superbly proficient band play the usual tired old songs i've heard a thousand times and often by the original band.
[/quote]
Personally, if I go to see an original band I expect to have to pay to get in and I expect them to be good. I have absolutely no time for a mediocre original band – if you are not good enough then don’t bother!

If I am just going out for a beer with the missus or some mates then I am more than happy to go and watch a covers band. Hopefully they will mainly play songs that I recognise, but without resorting to doing all of the obvious ones that every other band does. Ideally a good covers band will also be able to provide a few surprises i.e. play a few songs that I wouldn’t expect or don’t recognise.

I judge covers bands less harshly than I would an original outfit, but still expect them to be at least half decent. If I were to come across this band on such a night out, I would be delighted…

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1383176355' post='2261341']
Personally, if I go to see an original band I expect to have to pay to get in and I expect them to be good. I have absolutely no time for a mediocre original band – if you are not good enough then don’t bother!

If I am just going out for a beer with the missus or some mates then I am more than happy to go and watch a covers band. Hopefully they will mainly play songs that I recognise, but without resorting to doing all of the obvious ones that every other band does. Ideally a good covers band will also be able to provide a few surprises i.e. play a few songs that I wouldn’t expect or don’t recognise.

I judge covers bands less harshly than I would an original outfit, but still expect them to be at least half decent. If I were to come across this band on such a night out, I would be delighted…
[/quote]
+ 1. Skip as much mediocrity as possible, be it original or covers-there is plenty of it about. Nothing excites me as much as seeing a really good original band. But if there was a covers act as good as these guys playing locally, I would get there in a heartbeat.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1383176355' post='2261341']

[/quote]
Yes i can see the appeal of a covers band as musical wallpaper but personally i don't even have a radio on as background music. If something is worth listening to then it's worth my attention.

I have actually seen a lot of mediocre bands turn into decent bands over the years. I remember being not too impressed with The Stranglers when i first saw then in the mid 70s on the London pub circuit but by the end of that summer they had turned into a competent band that were worth the 50p admission!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383177211' post='2261352']
Yes i can see the appeal of a covers band as musical wallpaper but personally i don't even have a radio on as background music. If something is worth listening to then it's worth my attention.

I have actually seen a lot of mediocre bands turn into decent bands over the years. I remember being not too impressed with The Stranglers when i first saw then in the mid 70s on the London pub circuit but by the end of that summer they had turned into a competent band that were worth the 50p admission!
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I saw U2 in a pub in Dublin in the 70's. They were total s***e then and they are total s***e now. The covers scene may not be your cup of tea, no more than U2 are mine and that's fair enough. However that doesn't stop Brit Floyd playing the 14000 seater O2 in Dublin next Saturday night. If I was in the area I would pop along, despite having seen the real thing years ago.

Edited by leroydiamond