Why become a member? ×

Strings under a tenner

Thunderbird

I wondered if there were any decent strings out there that cost a tenner or less I have tried Legacy strings and Coban and thought they were quite good but I like to experiment a bit with strings but so not many are coming up on my google search only the really c--p no name ones I have seen Warwick red and yellow strings on sale are they any good or can anyone recommend me anything better? in 45-105 long scale cheers in advance :)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1382876589' post='2257400']
The Legacy series at Strings Direct? Made by Picato I believe....
[/quote] Yes they are the ones :) But I thought they were Rotosounds in a Legacy Packet.

And your ebay purchase seems a right result Gary :)

Edited by Thunderbird

Think you can get Rotosound for a bit over £10, and Status Hotwires are pretty good.

Personally I think you get what you pay for, and cheap strings don't sometimes tend to last very long. It may be cheaper to spend another £5 for something that's gonna last a month or so more.

i've always been very happy with the Picato strings that i've had, i believe that the flatwound Overwater strings are made by Picato, I bought the 5 string set from them (as they were cheaper than the picato) and they were identical in feel, looks and sound, the only difference was that the Overwater ones came in a nice black box and the Picato came in a plastic pouch.

If they're good enough for overwater....

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1383035728' post='2259241']
FWIW I've got Warwick Red Labels on my Precision. I quite like them, so if you're looking for something less than a tenner and willing to experiment they're well worth the punt in my opinion.
[/quote]

I second these, they aren't bad (I had one stainless steel set once, it sounded good and lasted long enough)

OK bit of a bump on this thread I tried the Picato 735 4 string et 45-105 strings and really liked them I got to sets from Bandshop they were £8.90 but I went to order some more last night and the packaging has changed and thus to the price they are nearly a fiver a set more now :o so does anybody know of anywhere that stocks and sells these a bit cheaper? .Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1387190290' post='2309063']
... and if you can get along with how they all become hairy/furry where the coating wears off (especially if you play with a pick...)
[/quote]

Sorry don't want to hijack the tread but please do check this topic - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222873-opinions-on-elixirs-nanoweb/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222873-opinions-on-elixirs-nanoweb/[/url] . I've shared my experience with Elixirs.

I only had Elixir strings flaking after a year of playing and yes, if you play with a pick most of the time, they will start flaking at the playing point but if you do finger style, I can guarantee at least 6 months out of them with a relatively decent tone and some continuous brightness. But again the tone isn't my favourite. It's not bad though.

Feel free to pm me if you are interested in learning more about them - I've been playing Elixirs for more than 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

The cheapest I've seen are Puretones, I don't know who makes them, it just says made in China on the packet. Nickel rounds, 45-105, a local shop sells them for £4.49, always got a couple of sets as spares.
They are surprisingly alright as well, I prefer dead strings and these did take an annoyingly long time to lose their bright new sound.