Why become a member? ×

Pilates didn't play bass ...

Happy Jack

... but I suspect he'd have been good at it.

I was sitting round a table with some bass players last week when the subject of bad backs came up (as it does).

I mentioned an exercise that my Pilates teacher had shown me, which can instantly de-stress that knot of muscles between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck, you know, the one that hurts like crazy if you spend too long playing bass.

This exercise is:[list]
[*]Incredibly simple - it involves using one muscle.
[*]Totally painless - you'd need to be someone pretty special to hurt yourself doing this.
[*]Utterly discreet - you can do it in a business meeting or at a dinner party without anyone suspecting a thing.
[/list]
What is this paragon amongst exercises?[list=1]
[*]Stand or sit with your body "square" (i.e. not twisted in any way).
[*]Have your shoulders comfortably relaxed, neither slumped nor tense.
[*]Place the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
[*]Push the tip of your tongue reasonably hard against the roof of your mouth while counting to five.
[*]Relax.
[*]Repeat.
[/list]
So ... did it work for you?

If so, then you're probably thinking what I did - [i]why did no one tell me about this 30 years ago?[/i]

I've had lumbar problems over the last five years, sometimes incredibly debilitating problems. All sorts of lifestyle choices (by me) have contributed to this, but playing bass - especially DB - has been a reliable trigger for episodes. :rolleyes:

I've tried physio, osteopathy, chiropractice, tantric sex, and Pilates. (One of those I made up.)

Pilates has been far & away the most effective, the longest-lasting, and the one that's made the greatest whole-life difference. I have accumulated an array of simple exercises and stretches which can be done at home, at work, in the studio, or before a gig.

If you have back issues and want to know more, here are a few thoughts for you.[list]
[*]The description "Pilates" seems to cover a very wide range these days. Avoid getting involved in Mats classes for lots of people (typically a dozen or so) until you've had some proper training.
[*]Using a gym or studio equipped with proper Pilates equipment (these bear some resemblance to a mediaeval torture chamber) will be much more expensive, but massively more effective at first.
[*]Pilates teachers are not all equal (1). Some (inevitably) are at the 'quack' end of the spectrum. Mine is a fully-qualified osteopath which means that she genuinely understands how the body works.
[*]Pilates teachers are not all equal (2). There has been an explosion in PE training in the last ten years. Many teachers have attended skimpy courses and have a negligible amount of experience.
[*]Any decent Pilates studio will want to start with an Assessment session, followed by one or two sessions where you are one-on-one with the trainer. Only then can you do Groups.
[*]Pilates is not designed to be a "quick fix". It's a change-in-lifestyle thing which takes effect over a period of time.
[*]I've been doing equipment-based Pilates for a year now. I'm probably ready to move to Mats classes if I want to save money ... but I'm not going to risk losing my trainer!
[*]As already mentioned, many of the stretches and exercises need no equipment at all, and can be done anywhere you like. Not immediately though! You need to know what you're doing.
[/list]
I hope at least some Basschatters will find this useful/helpful. After showing that exercise to three other bass players last week, two of them subsequently contacted me to ask for more information. I'd see that as a recommendation. :)

I have an extremely uncomfortable lower back at the moment. It hurts when I stand for more than 30 minutes and thus a combination of lugging gear and gigs/rehearsals usually leaves me in great discomfort, walking like some sort of twisted crab. I have resisted doing anything "girly" on the stretching/exercise front (after all, a twisted crab is pretty manly) but this sounds like something I should seriously consider, Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1381151284' post='2234966'][size=4]What is this paragon amongst exercises?[/size][list=1]
[*]Stand or sit with your body "square" (i.e. not twisted in any way).
[*]Have your shoulders comfortably relaxed, neither slumped nor tense.
[*]Place the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
[*]Push the tip of your tongue reasonably hard against the roof of your mouth while counting to five.
[*]Relax.
[*]Repeat.
[/list]
So ... did it work for you?
[/quote]

Yes, and then some. How the hell does that work, then? I suspect it's the '5. Relax' bit. Thanks, Jack. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381168106' post='2235325']
How the hell does that work, then?
[/quote]

Your muscles and/or tendons have tightened in one spot, but everything is linked.

One way of dealing with it is to have that spot pummelled and massaged, of course.

Another way is to find [i][b]the other end[/b][/i] of some of those knotted muscles and/or tendons ... and [u][b]pull[/b][/u]!

Your tongue is a huge muscle, and it's anchored at the base of your neck. Pushing your tongue against the roof of your mouth pulls the other end out of the knot.

Simples.

Once you know how. :rolleyes:

Quite amazing. I [i]would [/i]prefer to have that spot pummelled and massaged. And one or two other spots, too... ;) That is, i[size=4]f I weren't spending all my spare cash on a speculative Hayman 4040 bass restoration... I'll certainly take it though - thanks again Jack. [/size] :i-m_so_happy:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Ahhh... that's better! :D[/size]

Yay! A medical thread that I can fully support!

(You have no idea how much I hate always being the guy poo pooing stuff.)

There are TV channels that show Pilates classes. I can't remember the names of the channels, we get them on our Sky box, we certainly don't pay extra for them. They're a good way to see what it's about.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1381168896' post='2235351'] I can't be the only one who read the thread title as 'Pirates didn't play bass' and opened it immediately? :/ [/quote]

I thought we were talking about [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontius_Pilate"]this bloke[/url].

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1381218070' post='2235794']
I thought we were talking about [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontius_Pilate"]this bloke[/url].
[/quote]

Hand-washing is good. Personal hygiene matters.

It won't get rid of that knot at the base of your neck though ...

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1381222373' post='2235859']
TBH I am still struggling with that exercise , does it work for everyone ? In which case I'm doing it wrong or is my back pain not caused by that muscle
[/quote]
[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1381223349' post='2235878']
I get lower back pain and it didn't work for me :(

Not applicable or am I just doing it wrong?
[/quote]

There are LOTS of ways to get back pain, and LOTS of exercises and stretches to deal with it.

This particular exercise is effective for (very specifically) the bunch of muscles & tendons between your shoulder blades and at the base of your neck.

As a long-term sufferer from lower-back problems, I can assure you that this particular exercise will have absolutely NO effect on your lower back.

My aim in starting this topic was simply to draw attention to what Pilates can achieve. My own lower back problems have been greatly improved over the 12 months since I started Pilates but I wouldn't be so bold as to say that "I'm cured".

What Pilates has given me is a range of stretches which affect different parts of my body, and which have greatly reduced the number and extent of the problems I've faced.

To drift into another current topic, YMMV.

:)

Pilates , IMHO is the Sheehan /Hamm of exercise. Not strenuous , it's all about breathing and posture. I really miss my sessions with personal trainer a few years ago.
I bought the aero Pilates machine from qvc a couple of years ago . Sharing a flat with my brother has made it remain folded most of the time.

Looking at this thread, it is making me think of ideas of getting it out and start using it again.
They are cheap on eBay always , as they are bulky and collection only.
Pilates rocks !

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1381231917' post='2236054']
Thanks for he tip.
Seems like it might be a good one - But I was counting out loud,
and my wife thought I sounded like John (Joseph) Merrick.
[/quote]

It's alright.
I tried it laying down and nearly swallowed my own tongue...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1381151284' post='2234966']
Totally painless - you'd need to be someone pretty special to hurt yourself doing this.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1381235528' post='2236125']
It's alright.
I tried it laying down and nearly swallowed my own tongue...
[/quote]

So ... just how special are you?

;)