Why become a member? ×

An Epiphany About Basses

Lowender

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1381084158' post='2234209']
I would have to disagree, the bass you sold me has a sound that I cannot get out of any of my other basses a real glassy piano type sound, it just seems to have a "different" sound which I think has to be down to the construction, the size and mass of the bridge and the size of the bass itself, when I tried the genuine article I think it had a less pronounced version of the same sound
[/quote]

Hi Roger!

I'd suspect that the Rockinbetter sounds the way it does because of the scale, longer than a Rickenbacker 4003 I believe, and the pickups which are nothing like the ones in a real Rick or my Hondo. I guess I should point out that I'm not knocking anyone for choosing a bass with an exotic wood or anything like that, but if you were to stick the pickup from a Musicman Stringray into the same position scale wise onto a Wal for instance, then I'm pretty sure the sound would be the same. Now semi-acoustics versus a solid body, or something made from a aluminium (Travis Bean?) I would expect to sound notably different even with the same electronics.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1381087652' post='2234270']
:huh:
[/quote]

I was merely making the point in a cryptic manner that Blitzkrieg would have failed as a tactic had the Gerrmans relied on neepheid's rickety old MK2 Fiesta and typical British workmanship. The upshot of all this is that I am going to buy a Warwick , but preferably an old one made in West Germany before the Wall came down . Make of that what you will. .

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381066059' post='2233898']
You never hear anyone talk about the "Fodera" sound.
[/quote]

I think that's because not many people have heard it? They're so expensive that there can't be that many out there. I had a quick shot of a Ritter once and I can't remember how it sounded because I was scared to even breathe on it. Pretty sure it sounded like a bass though ;)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381089909' post='2234316']
I was merely making the point in a cryptic manner that Blitzkrieg would have failed as a tactic had the Gerrmans relied on neepheid's rickety old MK2 Fiesta and typical British workmanship. The upshot of all this is that I am going to buy a Warwick , but preferably an old one made in West Germany before the Wall came down . Make of that what you will. .
[/quote]

For some reason I'm now thinking of Lieutenant Gruber from 'Allo 'Allo ...

I reckon the average concert punter wouldn`t know if you are playing a Fender or Musicman. I saw a band tonight and knew he was playing a Musicman Stingray, only because I have seen so many photos of them on here. Hardly anyone who goes to a concert would have a clue. I asked the bass player what his other bass was, and it was an Aria 2 that he had custom made in 1981. No one would really know

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1381098122' post='2234428']
I reckon the average concert punter wouldn`t know if you are playing a Fender or Musicman. I saw a band tonight and knew he was playing a Musicman Stingray, only because I have seen so many photos of them on here. Hardly anyone who goes to a concert would have a clue. I asked the bass player what his other bass was, and it was an Aria 2 that he had custom made in 1981. No one would really know
[/quote]

Yeah, and they also wouldn't know if the song is in E or Eb, but it's best that the people playing do. : )

I've got to admit that I felt pretty much the same way as the first post when I was a teenager, which was a hell of a long time ago. Now I realise there are far more sounds available from different basses, none of which will be recognised by anybody else.

People look at the shape first and then listen, or else they might recognise that basses come in different scales, which is one of the few real readily identified characteristics which affect sound. Which is why the average Joe can't tell the difference between Macca playing a 'clanky' long scale Rick and a 'thumpy' short scale Hofner.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1381099065' post='2234446']
Which is why the average Joe can't tell the difference between Macca playing a 'clanky' long scale Rick and a 'thumpy' short scale Hofner.
[/quote]

But when Macca plays his Rick it doesn't sound 'clanky' - it's more 'thumpy'. :)

ermm Statuseses

and for sake of inclusion anything similar with graphite neck - they have a particular envelope to their sound due to their construction with a punchy attack and a very long and slow sustain and decay compared to wooden necks - obviously it doesnt suit everybodys style of playing but they certainly are unique in their sound characteristics

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1381083558' post='2234194']
I love Andy Frasers sound and have spent the last thirty years trying to get somewhere near it!
[/quote]

You are Neil Murray and I claim my five pounds. :)

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381066059' post='2233898']
Since playing bass since the early 1800's , I've come to the realization that there are essentially 5 distinct bass guitar sounds --

[/quote]

You have 200 years of experience of playing basses! Who are we to argue?

Edited by TimR

I've always found that I can get 'my' sound from most basses. Some I have to concentrate really hard to get it, others I just play and the sound is there.

So for me it's the player that's the most part of the sound and it depends on how 'he' wants the bass to sound.

As an example, I can't get on with fenders, the neck size and weight of the bass are wrong. I can get the sound I want easily though.
With Warwicks, the weight and neck shape are right but I really have to think about my playing to get the sound I'm after.