Why become a member? ×

which gigbag?

mcnach

My Warwick gigbag is well and truly done.
It's served me well for a few years, but it's time to get it replaced.

I was just going to get another one just like it... but I thought I'd check what other options are there. I recently came across a Tribal Planet GSX5BK case that looked really good, offering a bit of extra protection and enough storage space (which I need, I carry many things with me: assorted cables, wireless, earplugs, batteries, a pedal or two, a power supply, strings... the list goes on. Unfortunately that case seems to have been discontinued. It was about £70.

I wonder what similar gigbags people here like.
I am not after a full hard case. I have a few of those. I only use them when I have to. Most of the time the bass stays with me and I am not worried about it being mistreated by others etc. A gig bag that I can carry on my back leaving my hands free to take care of amp/cabs is what I want. A gig bag that's a bit more protective than most others is what I want to look at. It must have decent storage space.

The iGig and Mono cases get great reviews. The Mono M80 seems a bit short in storage 'though, and quite a bit more expensive than what I'm really looking to spend (I have not seen one in the flesh, maybe if I did I would change my mind... but what I see in pictures does not convince me to part with my cash).

The Protec Contego looks pretty interesting and the price is good. A bit more "rigid" than I was aiming for, but it seems it's still comfortable. It's the top of my list at the moment, but I am not entirely sure either. I may just go back to teh Warwick again... although the Jazz bass fitted there precariously, pushing the zip at the top noticeably... so another criterion would be that it can take a Jazz bass nicely. It will mostly be used with a Stingray, but I do use Jazz basses too.

What is your favourite gigbag?

Protection Racket seems to get a good write-up here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216668-protection-racket-7051-electric-bass-guitar-bag/

I had a Mono M80, very nice piece of kit but not too much storage, certainly not as much as the PR gets as described above.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1380036210' post='2219900']
Hey man,
I've got the m80 - its great at protection and storage isn't too bad.

If you're ever up in Aberdeen, welcome to take a look :)
[/quote]

A trip up North would be nice but it is not likely anytime soon, thanks anyway! :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1380037642' post='2219924']
I have a Protec Contego and a Mono M80. They are both really good, but I find the Protec more comfortable to wear on my back.
[/quote]

That's also what I've read, regarding comfort, although I can't imagine the Mono being "uncomfortable".

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1380038873' post='2219948']
Protection Racket seems to get a good write-up here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216668-protection-racket-7051-electric-bass-guitar-bag/"]http://basschat.co.u...ass-guitar-bag/[/url]

I had a Mono M80, very nice piece of kit but not too much storage, certainly not as much as the PR gets as described above.
[/quote]

I was just looking at the Protection Racket bags a few minutes ago. They look good!

Another one I just found is the Fusion F1:

[url="http://www.fusion-bags.com/products-in-guitar-gig-bags/f1-bass-guitar-orange-16115"]http://www.fusion-bags.com/products-in-guitar-gig-bags/f1-bass-guitar-orange-16115[/url]

That one is seriously tempting me too. It's about £115, from what I can see.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1380040760' post='2219982']

That's also what I've read, regarding comfort, although I can't imagine the Mono being "uncomfortable".
[/quote]

If you compare the two shapes, the Mono is much more fitted to the shape of the bass neck, and therefore narrower where the tops of the shoulder straps are attached to the case, so the straps are very close together at that point. I think that this is why it is less comfortable. I'd happily carry it short distances, but would be less happy to have it on for extended periods.

The Protec is heavier though

Edited by Roland Rock

I'll be interested to check out all these suggestions.

I need a gig bag with a [b]BIG[/b] pocket(s). Enough storage to take a GK MB500 head, 3 pedals, and associated leads.

McNach, did you have a Warwick Rockbag? If so, do you think that it would have the pocket space for this gear?

If you want something to let you carry the bass on your back, I'm becoming less convinced of the usefulness of the new breed of semi-rigid bags. If you look at the specs the weight and size makes them not that much lighter and smaller than a Hiscox Lite Flight. I own a Mono M80 and it's not very comfortable to wear for the half hour it takes me to get to the rehearsal rooms from my house. My cheap unbranded bag that I got free with a bass is far more comfortable to wear over these kinds of distances. On the other hand the Mono is by far the hardest wearing gig bag that I've ever owned.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1380042240' post='2220024']

I need a gig bag with a [b]BIG[/b] pocket(s). Enough storage to take a GK MB500 head, 3 pedals, and associated leads.

McNach, did you have a Warwick Rockbag? If so, do you think that it would have the pocket space for this gear?
[/quote]

Get a Protection Racket. I had one and carried almost exactly what you have listed above in it with loads of room to spare. Great cases - just ask Discreet!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1380042240' post='2220024']

[/quote]

Yes, Rockbag but can't recall which model... it was one of the better ones, but I've owned a few and they all have similar sized pockets. You might get the MB500 in there but I think it would be tight. Plus three pedals? Hmmm, I don't think so.

I've just had a play with the Protec Contego. It has three pockets, small, medium and large. I can fit my Streamliner 900 in the larger pocket, two pedal-sized boxes (tuner and di), some leads and spare batteries in the medium one, and spare strings, plectrums, pens etc in the small one. Oh, and a bass.
The M80 is up in the loft (shows how often I use it!) but if memory serves correctly, it has similar storage space capacity, but in fewer pockets.

I got one of these harvest gig bags earlier this year and not had any problems with it. It's not a lightweight case like some of the others named on the thread but it's robust. It only has a couple of pockets, one for the tuner and a large pocket in front for everything else. Enough for a couple of leads, strings, music, power supply for my bass. ipad and tools. I doubt if you would get anything bulky in there like a compact power amp but you could get a few boss sized pedals in there.
[url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/Bass-Bags/"]http://www.harvest-g....com/Bass-Bags/[/url]

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1380114148' post='2220974']
I got one of these harvest gig bags earlier this year and not had any problems with it. It's not a lightweight case like some of the others named on the thread but it's robust. It only has a couple of pockets, one for the tuner and a large pocket in front for everything else. Enough for a couple of leads, strings, music, power supply for my bass. ipad and tools. I doubt if you would get anything bulky in there like a compact power amp but you could get a few boss sized pedals in there.
[url="http://www.harvest-guitar.com/Bass-Bags/"]http://www.harvest-g....com/Bass-Bags/[/url]

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

I have to say those are really really good looking. Not what I'm after, but extremely cool!!!

And I just ordered the Fusion F1.

"did it come in the colour you wanted?"

No

"excellent!"

I had to go for the lime green and black one, as all the others were not in stock "available in 5 days, typically"... yeah, I know how long those 5 days last. I found one place who had just one left in stock, so I got it. £115, not cheap... let's see if it's worth it. I saw other cases for £50-70 that did not look unsubstantial, so I may have spent more than I needed to. I had to see one in the flesh, 'though, and buying one seemed the only way. It can always go back if I don't think is worth the price.

I still don't rule out another bag in the near future. The Protec is still looking pretty cool, but I feared it may not fit my boot as well as the Fusion. I like the Mono Vertigo simply for the very very very solid bottom. I like a good bottom, myself. ;)
Although this thing about fitting in the boot could be a moot point as I'm about to spend about £700 on my 13 year old VW Golf... which makes me think that a new car will soon be in my "to do" list. I just have to make sure I take my bass and amp to any test drive I do, so that I buy a car that can take my gear, rather than buying gear that fits in the car ;)

I've got a Protec Contego which is still serving me very well. A tip i picked up hear on Basschat recently was to put cable ties between the strap connectors and the actual body of the bag in case one of them breaks. At least then the cable tie will take the strain long enough for you to realize that one has broken. In fact, I ended up attaching them to my bass straps too just in case....

The Fusion F1 arrived today.

Really impressed! It is definitely quite a step higher from every gigbag I have ever had. Smooth action zip too, feels solid.
Of course, there is a "but": it does not fit in the boot of my car! :lol:
I guess the times I really need to have the bass in the boot I'll use one of the smaller thinner bags I have.

I've got a tribal planet gigbag. It's the best I've owned so far and I got it secondhand with a bass I bought on Basschat. I've had it a couple of years now and it's still going strong. I carry my MiBass in the main big pocket and leads and pedals tuners in the other two.

Edited by gjones

Pleased to hear your impressed with the F1 - I have one too and it's outstayed Mono M80/Vertigo, iGiG and many others. Very lightweight and fairly rigid. I think the Protec Contego is slightly more robust but it's heavy by comparison. On balance, I'm a big fan of the F1 overall - a very easy and comfortable carry

Edited by lozbass

I can't compare it to those others (Mono, iGig, Protec) because I have not managed to get one in my hands. But the F1 is exactly what I was after.
I used it last night for the first time. Very comfortable, lots of pockets. Too many even, I could not remember where I had my earplugs! :lol: A bit bulkier than my previous bags (Warwick Rockbag deluxe and the like), but it offers so much more protection and still easy to carry. Love it. Even my girlfriend approved and showed interest in it, when she normally ignores any of my bass related purchases. I guess a gigbag is more related to handbags :P