Why become a member? ×

which gigbag?

mcnach

I own a Protec and I have to say.. I'm looking for a more comfortable alternative.The Protec is hard wearing but the velcro has given up on the handle. I walk a fair bit, say about a hour? and my back seriously knows it when I turn up for rehearsals. So who's using what, over long distances?

Need some advice before I make a expensive mistake! :lol:

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1380453208' post='2225386']
So who's using what, over long distances? [size=4]Need some advice before I make a expensive mistake! [/size] :lol:
[/quote]

I'd recommend the Protection Racket 7051 all day long, but it mostly goes from house to car (5 yards) then from car to rehearsal room (5 yards). I can imagine it being literally a pain in the arse if you had to use it rucksack-fashion over any distance, though. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380453466' post='2225390']
I'd recommend the Protection Racket 7051 all day long, but it mostly goes from house to car (5 yards) then from car to rehearsal room (5 yards). I can imagine it being literally a pain in the arse if you had to use it rucksack-fashion over any distance, though. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's not the most handsome looking case out of the bunch

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1380457383' post='2225477']
Do you find if very comfy then?
[/quote]

I've never worn it as a rucksack, so I don't know. I'm guessing not. I only ever carry it by the handle to and from the car. The handle is very comfy though, if that's what you mean. :)

I own a Protec and I have to say.. I'm looking for a more comfortable alternative.The Protec is hard wearing but the velcro has given up on the handle. I walk a fair bit, say about a hour? and my back seriously knows it when I turn up for rehearsals. So who's using what, over long distances?

[/quote]

Disclaimer: I only owned the Fusion F1 for a couple of days, so I may still be in the honeymoon phase.

I think the F1 is ideal for walking. It's essentially designed like a good backpack... then shaped like a bass, with extra protection where a bass needs it. The back is extremely comfortable and so are the straps, the added belt holds it to your waist for better support. When it comes to protection, I haven't seen first hand most of the good alternatives to the F1, but when thinking of walking for an hour or more with a bass on my back, I don't think any of those is designed as well as the F1.

[/quote]

Don't get the Mono M80. As a case it's great, but as a gig bag (to wear on you back for anything more than a few minutes) it fails miserably. I've recently started using a Warwick Star Bass as my main instrument, which doesn't fit in the Mono, but just squeezes in a generic no-name cheap but reasonably well padded bag that came with another bass I bought. I can't believe how much more comfortable this cheaper bag is to wear on the 30 minute walk to and from our rehearsal space. I would be very reluctant to buy another expensive bag without trying it on first.

I should add, that my decision originally to buy the Mono M80 came down mainly on size and weight. Looking at the specs of the various semi-rigid cases that I considered and which had been recommended 18 months ago, the others were all significantly heavier and slightly larger (apart from one which claimed to weigh 0kg according to the manufacturer's web site) and many were approaching the size and weight of a Hiscox Lite Flight.

I think that part of the problem with it being uncomfortable to wear for long distances is down to the extra weight and how the bag balances on the back straps. I would certainly think twice about anything even heavier and having more pockets that you can fill up with stuff the weight it down even more isn't really going to help unless all you need it for is the walk to and from your car or band van.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1381597414' post='2241253']
I take it then that the Mono case that takes two basses is probably a disaster in the comfort department? - a shame if so, as it looks like a great bit of kit.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but have a think here - you're looking to put two basses on your back, a not insubstantial amount of weight; what was going to be comfortable?

I have an M80 and I think it's a great bag for protection, leagues ahead of some of the competition - but I never had it in my head to assess how comfortable it might be after an hour on my back, as that's not how I use my bags. Sure, they're for carrying - but I'm pretty sure all bags, by their nature, are about helping you lift and shift things you'd find difficult to move otherwise; and not necessarily about keeping that weight on for the duration, which isn't healthy.

I park close, and they all need to be about protection (paramount) and storage; if you need comfort over distance you might want to think about parking closer rather than blaming the bag :lol:

But for me the whole point of using a gig bag is so I can carry my bass on my back for long distances (approximately 30 minute walk). If I wanted something just to get it from the car or van into the venue/rehearsal room, I'd be using a Hiscox Lite Flight which is only marginally larger and heavier than a semi-rigid case like the Mono M80 and offers significantly better protection.

So, we're back to my original comment - is the issue in the bag itself or in the user requirement? And in that our opinions differ, and there's no harm in that :)

I'd be saying that, if you wanted to carry a load in such a fashion for >30 minutes, then none of the current generation of gig bags are going to fully meet your needs. They don't distribute the weight properly, as a good ruck would do.

I think it's a difference of opinion between myself and the manufacturers of the current range of semi-rigid "gig bags".

They seem to look at them as a lighter and smaller alternative to a hard case, but compared with one of the best hard cases available - Hiscox - they are only slightly lighter and many of them are actually larger in some measurements.

However from my PoV since they all have "back pack" straps then they ought to have been designed to be worn on the back for more than a sub-five minute walk to and from the car or other band transport. The one I have, the Mono M80, is not sufficiently comfortable to meet this requirement for me.

However the Mono bag is considerably more hard-wearing than both the mid-priced gig bags I owned before it, which had to be retired because the actual bag or straps wore out. However my next gig bag purchase will be based mainly on carrying comfort, and if I have to replace it after 18 months due to wear and tear then so be it.

Edited by BigRedX

I honestly don't see the point. Surely the whole point of a gig-bag is it's more portable than a hard case. If you want a case that you can only carry short distances then you may as well use a hard case for the extra protection. I don't expect the same protection in a gig-bag, but I do expect it to be a practical alternative to a hard case that makes it easier to lug a bass around on foot, bike, public transport. It's a shame because the Mono cases look great, but if they are so heavily/well built that they are no lighter than a hiscox then they have only succeeded in making an expensive case with maybe less protection - not a 'gig-bag'.