Why become a member? ×

What Chorus Pedals Do You Guys Like?

Phaedrus

I'm re-assessing my effects set-up.

I've sold my ME-50B.

I know that I want the following:

Tuner, overdrive/distortion, chorus, compression, DI.

I'm keeping my Korg DT-10 and Hartke VXL Bass attack, so that's the distortion and DI covered. I'm pretty sure I'll go for an Aphex Punch Factory and/or Bass Xciter as the compressor.

I'm wondering what chorus pedals folk on here like.

Do regular chorus pedals sold for guitar work okay with bass?

I thought the EBS UniChorus would be worth looking at, but one review I read said it was really noisy, with a lot of hiss.

Thanks,

Mark

I know you probably wont find this useful, but.... A whammy XP-100 not only has excellent chorus sounds, with the EXP pedal to change the effect mix in real time, but it also has some very cool wah settings, and the obvious whammy possibilities. You can set up 6 patches and switch between them like a multi-effects unit. If you could find one it might be the same price as a decent chorus pedal.

I used to have a Boss CE2B and I sold it to Rich. The thing that made it appeal to some bass players was that the chorus effect applied only to the upper frequencies. To my ears it lacked richness so I ended up getting a Yamaha E1005 rack analogue delay instead which sounded great. Having said that its pretty coloured in having fairly prominent upper mids so I just tend to use the chorus on my MPXG2 if I need it.

I've had the analogueman, Carl Martin and TC Electronic chorus pedals recommended to me but I've never tried them.

[quote name='Toasted' post='220630' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:46 PM']The best, IMO bar none is the Analogman Mini Clone Chorus with Deep Mod. It's just supelative in ever way.[/quote]

+1 - I had to get rid of mine due to lack of cash, and need of a fuzz pedal, but I have no doubt that if I need a Chorus again in the future, it will be the Analogman.

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='220521' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:28 PM']I'm wondering what chorus pedals folk on here like.

Do regular chorus pedals sold for guitar work okay with bass?

I thought the EBS UniChorus would be worth looking at, but one review I read said it was really noisy, with a lot of hiss.

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

I have to give a mention to my Roktek Chorus Pedal.
Cheap fx I know but it works for me on bass for a bit of a Peter Hook sound on a budget.
Tried Boss etc but they sounded more 'washed out' which I didn't get with the Roktek - Depth between half and full / Rate barely above minimum ( unless wanting that 'underwater' sound ) / Tone at Max - with a plectrum...
Also good after a Boss OC-2 Octaver to smooth the edges.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='220620' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:39 PM']I used to have a [b]Boss CE2B[/b] and I sold it to Rich. The thing that made it appeal to some bass players was that the chorus effect applied only to the upper frequencies. To my ears it lacked richness [...][/quote]

I own that one too, excellent if you want a subtle and discrete chorus effect. You know, this very slight chorus that just makes the sound sweeter but which you only notice when you turn it off... well it can do that very well! (as well as those Jaco sounds)

I love the MXR Stereo Chorus, I think it's ideal for bass for the following reasons:

- Has a bass boost button (provides a slightly less chorusy but deeper tone)
- Has Low and High EQ (so you can make chorus EQ equivalent to that of your clean tone)
- Has a mix knob (Intensity knob mixes chorus tone with clean tone)
- Sounds great, can be extremely lush or have just the right subtlety

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='222041' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:08 PM']I love the MXR Stereo Chorus, I think it's ideal for bass for the following reasons:

- Has a bass boost button (provides a slightly less chorusy but deeper tone)
- Has Low and High EQ (so you can make chorus EQ equivalent to that of your clean tone)
- Has a mix knob (Intensity knob mixes chorus tone with clean tone)
- Sounds great, can be extremely lush or have just the right subtlety[/quote]

+1

the "bass boost button" is actually a "bass bypass". When the button is pressed, the lower frequencies go through the pedal untouched.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='221458' date='Jun 18 2008, 03:47 PM']I quite like the EBS chorus but would say the deep modded Analogman chorus is the benchmark...[/quote]

I blind A/B'd the two using a looper and couldn't tell the difference for the type of chorus sounds I was after, so I kept the EBS and sold the Analogman. They differed at the extremes of settings quite a lot, but the middle range was so similar that I decided to go with the smaller pedal.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='222233' date='Jun 19 2008, 03:34 PM']+1

the "bass boost button" is actually a "bass bypass". When the button is pressed, the lower frequencies go through the pedal untouched.[/quote]

True, that's what it supposedly is, however when I have it on, there is definitely a boost in the deep lows... So I think it's not exactly what they say... It doesn't just let low freqs. out unaffected...

I want a chorus pedal that's kind of the opposite of the CEB3 in that it would chorus the lows (variable) and not the highs, so that you can use it as a sort of "doubler" to make your bottom end meaty without getting the wishy washy splishy sploshy splashy chorus effect.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='222894' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:28 PM']I want a chorus pedal that's kind of the opposite of the CEB3 in that it would chorus the lows (variable) and not the highs, so that you can use it as a sort of "doubler" to make your bottom end meaty without getting the wishy washy splishy sploshy splashy chorus effect.[/quote]

Me too!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='222894' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:28 PM']I want a chorus pedal that's kind of the opposite of the CEB3 in that it would chorus the lows (variable) and not the highs, so that you can use it as a sort of "doubler" to make your bottom end meaty without getting the wishy washy splishy sploshy splashy chorus effect.[/quote]

have you tried patching this with a pedal / fx and a mixer using the eq to seperate the lows or using a crossover ?

[quote name='rmorris' post='223225' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:22 PM']have you tried patching this with a pedal / fx and a mixer using the eq to seperate the lows or using a crossover ?[/quote]

I do it on the computer for recordings, yes, but I don't really think it would be practical to use so many pedals/devices on my board for just one function. I certainly couldn't fit a mixer with EQ onto my board!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='224729' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:22 AM']I do it on the computer for recordings, yes, but I don't really think it would be practical to use so many pedals/devices on my board for just one function. I certainly couldn't fit a mixer with EQ onto my board![/quote]

yeah - I see you point I was really just thinkig more about the sound.
I'd have thought chorusing the lows would impair pitch definition but it sounds interesting - I'll give it a go.
Cheers.