Why become a member? ×

BassChat marketplace is not a shop...

Ruck

Someone pays me Wednesday night at 10pm and I send the package Friday 1st class and I get impatient PMs about how hes not happy with that?!?! Seriously... bass players can have day jobs too you know... some people.

Edited by Ruck

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379328774' post='2211224']
I'd have no problem with the scenario you've described as a buyer, providing there had been excellent communication between both parties, which is usually where the problems start with stuff like this.
[/quote]

Absolutely true IME. 36 hours is completely reasonable if you work full time (as I do). It is all about managing expectations...

Leave them some feedback to the effect that they can be a bit pushy and/or unreasonable? Did you tell them clearly how long they could expect to wait?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379328774' post='2211224']
I'd have no problem with the scenario you've described as a buyer, providing there had been excellent communication between both parties, which is usually where the problems start with stuff like this.
[/quote]

Yup - agree with this, good comms is the key. I'd be fine in this scenario, as long as the seller kept me updated.

There's a lesson, for all of us, about managing expectations - don't leave it for the buyer to imagine what might be happening, [i]tell them[/i]. If you tell them Friday, they then expect Friday, and they're not busy imagining - as we all do when buying new things - that it will arrive immediately and be absolutely fantastic :)

I'd guess that in this case the buyer thought that payment on Wednesday would mean he'd have the item for the weekend, which I think would be rather optimistic, but it's how expectations can be raised.

As above, good communication is the key and the delivery/collection arrangements are as much a part of the transaction as the item itself, IMO.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1379332249' post='2211286']
Sorry seller... sounds like your comms need to be clearer. If you said you were posting on a set day, problem avoided.
[/quote]

Possibly.... but maybe he did and the buyer (possibly a new member who [i]does[/i] actually think that BC[i] is [/i]a shop) misinterpreted this or didn't bother to read it.

All things are possible when one doesn't have all the details. :)

Oh dear hehe, ebay is starting to sound a lot more rational with some of the comments made, seeing as a week or so is expected before an item is posted for used goods... Yes communication should be clearer in an ideal world where everyone has instant access to the internet on their ipads, I agree. Afraid I don't have that luxury :) Did I mention the pedal cost them £11? Not that it matters, the value of the product relative to the service provided. Oh fun times indeed.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1379333599' post='2211308']
communication should be clearer in an ideal world where everyone has instant access to the internet on their ipads, I agree. Afraid I don't have that luxury :)[/quote]

Fair comment, but once again, no harm in saying this in your original ad. Something along the lines of:

[i]"I work full time and don't spend my life on BC. As a result, don't be offended if you have to wait a few hours for a response" [/i]should cover this. :D

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1379326330' post='2211189']
Someone pays me Wednesday night at 10pm and I send the package Friday 1st class and I get impatient PMs about how hes not happy with that?!?! Seriously... bass players can have day jobs too you know... some people.
[/quote]

I'm pretty easygoing about receiving stuff from others on basschat - I realise they have lives. Most purchases are delivered really quickly (usually quicker than online shops). I've also found other basschatters really understanding if there is a delay on my side.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1379333599' post='2211308']
Oh dear hehe, ebay is starting to sound a lot more rational with some of the comments made
[/quote]

Chin up and take the feedback - just shows how many perspectives there can be, even for minor things :)

I know, as a buyer, I get some a little of the Christmas-morning feeling about new things coming in - and can be totally unrealistic/optimistic about when they might arrive as a result :)

Get me told! It'll be with you when it's with you! :lol:

All my Basschat transactions have been made face to face, and all of them have been wonderful.

Interesting I sold my first two Basschat purchases to fund my third :lol:

I think on receipt of payment I would have said "I won't be able to post until Friday due to work commitments". Communication is always king! In most instances you are buying from strangers and no matter how reputable they are, it does give you a greater sense of nervousness than buying from a shop, so I always think communication needs to be far better to make people feel at ease.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1379334406' post='2211325']
Fair comment, but once again, no harm in saying this in your original ad. Something along the lines of:

[i]"I work full time and don't spend my life on BC. As a result, don't be offended if you have to wait a few hours for a response" [/i]should cover this. :D
[/quote]

Internet access, or lack of, need not be a big issue really.

All my BC purchases have been agreed by PM but I've then always swapped mobile phone numbers so that any changes to agreed arrangements can be easily communicated.

I once arranged to collect an item one afternoon but the seller's circumstances changed that morning while I was out and about with no internet access. He sent me a text message explaining things, we agreed an alternative venue and the collection was still done at the same time but different location - no problem for either party.

Communication, communication, communication. ;)

Edited by flyfisher

From all this feedback, you would think the OP waited about 10 days to ship! I don't think the OP has done anything wrong - he got the payment late on a wednesday and was shipped on Friday. If I bought something then I would always imagine the item will arrive after the weekend.

FWIW - I bought something here in Aug and I still have yet to receive it. I had to contact the seller to make sure all was well to then find out what the issue was. Which I should also add, was/is no fault of the seller :)

I can't believe this has gone on so long?! :blink:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1379341172' post='2211443']
All my BC purchases have been agreed by PM but I've then always swapped mobile phone numbers so that any changes to agreed arrangements can be easily communicated.[/quote]

Yep, me too. Good advice though! B)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1379341637' post='2211452']
From all this feedback, you would think the OP waited about 10 days to ship! I don't think the OP has done anything wrong - he got the payment late on a wednesday and was shipped on Friday. If I bought something then I would always[b] imagine[/b] the item will arrive after the weekend.
[/quote]

But isn't that the whole point? What you imagine may not coincide with what the other party might imagine, hence the friction.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong as such and I agree the buyer is being a tad optimistic, but the point about communication is that none of this would have happened (probably!) if the OP had sent an email/text/PM as soon as payment was received, confirming receipt and when the item would be shipped and by what method (RM, courier etc).