Why become a member? ×

Tortoise shell doesn't go with maple - prove me wrong

Jono Bolton

I've devised a theory that tortoise shell scratchplates only work on basses with dark wood fingerboards, rosewood, ebony etc. I've seen a few basses with tortoise shell plates and maple fingerboards, and to my eyes it just looks wrong. I can't quite put my finger on it, so here's a couple of pictures to illustrate my point:

Doesn't that look awesome? Classic and cool. And in direct comparison:

Isn't it horrible? The tortoise shell scratchplate just doesn't go with the neck at all in my eyes. It's not the contrast of the dark scratchplate with the light colour of the wood, because if the scratchplate was black it would be one of my favourite colour combinations.

Naturally people will disagree with me, it's just my opinion, but what I'm asking of you, fellow Basschatters, is to post up your pics to try and convince me that tortoiseshell & maple is actually alright, and not a crime against aesthetics. Go!

Don't think maple works with sunburst and tort, but it can work with olympic white and tort. Maple certainly works with sunburst and gold anodized. I think maple also works with fiesta red and tort.

My favourite combinations are oly white and black with maple and oly white with mint and maple. Just to confuse the issue. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378408215' post='2199946']
Don't think maple works with sunburst and tort, but it can work with olympic white and tort. Maple certainly works with sunburst and gold anodized. I think maple also works with fiesta red and tort.

My favourite combinations are oly white and black with maple and oly white with mint and maple. Just to confuse the issue. :)
[/quote]

Lord no!

Golly gosh yes!

Edited by Jono Bolton

Don't think maple works with sunburst and tort, but it can work with olympic white and tort.[/quote]

And as a follow up, yuck!

That's actually a double whammy, as I don't like white basses, but more so when it's white/tort/maple.

I agree that Tort & sunburst & darkwood is the business, not with maple ( and I love a maple neck I do ). I don't like any of the red/tort/maple/darkwood shown above. So I'm out on the red/tort combo.

I also think Jazz basses look better with darkwood and Precisions better with maple.

But that looks more orange than fiesta red. I think it works OK with that really pale, washed-out almost-pink fiesta red.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1378409491' post='2199969']
And as a follow up, yuck!

That's actually a double whammy, as I don't like white basses, but more so when it's white/tort/maple.
[/quote]

This would look a lot better all round with a black pickguard, I'll admit.

But if you don't like white basses, then there's no hope for you whatsoever!! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378410145' post='2199986']
It depends on the maple neck, too. Those shown above are very pale. An aged or vintage tint maple works much better.
[/quote]

Now that is true!!!! A lovely aged/honeyed/tinted maple neck is a world apart from a pale/insipid/wishy washy/anemic thing.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378410145' post='2199986']
It depends on the maple neck, too. Those shown above are very pale. An aged or vintage tint maple works much better.
[/quote]
I have just such a tinted maple neck on mine.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1378406196' post='2199913']

Isn't it horrible? The tortoise shell scratchplate just doesn't go with the neck at all in my eyes. It's not the contrast of the dark scratchplate with the light colour of the wood, because if the scratchplate was black it would be one of my favourite colour combinations.
[/quote]
Exactly what I have ! Mine looks like this one
eBay : 181202092766

It did have reddish tort for a while and I liked the combo, but didnt like the actual tort that was used

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378412009' post='2200038']
I can't deny that rosewood is classic, but maple is lovely with the TV logo.

Damn, I want my old bass back SO MUCH....

[/quote]

I thought you might chip in with that and I have to hand it to you, that's lovely!

Don't think maple works with sunburst and tort, [b]but it can work with olympic white and tort[/b]. Maple certainly works with sunburst and gold anodized. I think maple also works with fiesta red and tort.

[/quote]
Absolutely! It looks gorgeous. I can't stand tort on sunburst or black, I think it looks rank, red tort is especially despicable. Love dark tort on oly white, especially with a maple fingerboard. Had a Strat like that once.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378412009' post='2200038']

[/quote]

Works for me! Perhaps we have to look at this more closely and evaluate whether colour combos work or not on a bass-by-bass, er... basis. If you see what I mean... there are too many variables for absolutes, imho. :)

Edited by discreet

Don't think maple works with sunburst and tort, but it can work with olympic white and tort.
[/quote]

Definitely. My fave colour combos with tort are Sunburst/tort/rosewood, Olympic White/tort/rosewood, and Fiesta Red/tort/rosewood but Oly White/tort/maple is a nice combination.