Why become a member? ×

Bass Players, the good guy in the band!

rodacademy

Yes we have all been there! Dealing with the ego and temprement of the "front man", battling with the guitar players volume and the feckin drummers lack of dynamics! The keyboard players strange habits to mention a few! Yet us bass players, the glue between the drums and rest of the band always seem to be the good guy!
The one that just wants to enjoy it!!
Thoughts?

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1378369876' post='2199142']
Thoughts?
[/quote]

I can't say I'm very big on self-congratulation and bassists seem to enjoy slagging off other musicians too much for my liking---see the ubiquitous use of the word "guitard" on this forum. To have a great band you need all of the musicians to be on the ball and you need mutual trust and respect. I certainly don't see myself as the guy that holds it all together. We're all responsible for that.

Bass players can be just as crap as any other musician.

If you don't like what the other musicians in your band are doing then why are you still playing with them?

A bass player who facilitates a bad musician who is unsympathetic to the needs of the band by continuing to put up with them, is IMO far worse than the bad musician themselves.

In my experience the bassist is the more reliable stalwart of the band. I've found that the bass player usually knows his part better than the others (maybe because its simpler - LOL)
Bass players are usually a bit more calm and not as easily frustrated or upset by trivial items.
Not necessarily a better musician tho.

Dave

Yes we have all been there! Dealing with the ego and temprement of the "front man", battling with the guitar players volume and the feckin drummers lack of dynamics! The keyboard players strange habits to mention a few! Yet us bass players, the glue between the drums and rest of the band always seem to be the good guy!
Thoughts?
[/quote]

No, I have NOT been there.

Try being a good front person or singer/songwriter without the attendant ego, self analysis, even self loathing, and having to write lyrics and music that are meaningful and compelling without being a person who cares about and notices a lot of sh*t that goes on. Delivering that to an audience and in a studio takes a lot more than learning some bass lines and standing at the back in your jeans and t shirt knocking them out with a beer and a smile on yer mush, being the 'glue'.

As for the rest of the band, you actually just sound like you're playing with poor musicians.

You know, you paint bassists in a very bad light, another way of reading what you writ is that bassists have the easiest job, and that we are all happy clappy ***** who want a larf and bang out a few tunes. Not all bassists are the glue, not all bassists just want to have a good time and get on with it. Everyone in the bands I'm in plays a significant part in the delivery of the music and takes their role very seriously, me included. It should be enjoyable but it's not a game.

[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]This looks like the opening lines to.......[/size]
[size=4]" Is this you ? Well read on....For only $9.99 per month, you can rid yourself of the daily grind of the five knuckle shuffle...."[/size]

[size=4] :)[/size]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1378376031' post='2199250']
[/size]

[size=4]This looks like the opening lines to.......[/size]
[size=4]" Is this you ? Well read on....For only $9.99 per month, you can rid yourself of the daily grind of the five knuckle shuffle...."[/size]

[size=4] :)[/size]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378374812' post='2199231']

No, I have NOT been there.

Try being a good front person or singer/songwriter without the attendant ego, self analysis, even self loathing, and having to write lyrics and music that are meaningful and compelling without being a person who cares about and notices a lot of sh*t that goes on. Delivering that to an audience and in a studio takes a lot more than learning some bass lines and standing at the back in your jeans and t shirt knocking them out with a beer and a smile on yer mush, being the 'glue'.

As for the rest of the band, you actually just sound like you're playing with poor musicians.

You know, you paint bassists in a very bad light, another way of reading what you writ is that bassists have the easiest job, and that we are all happy clappy ***** who want a larf and bang out a few tunes. Not all bassists are the glue, not all bassists just want to have a good time and get on with it. Everyone in the bands I'm in plays a significant part in the delivery of the music and takes their role very seriously, me included. It should be enjoyable but it's not a game.
[/quote]

Bad day?

In my opinion bass players tend to have less bad days than the other guys. When discussions get heated the other guys are always more passionate about getting their feelings across and sometimes someone needs to calm things down. We're all there to make sure the music is good.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378376434' post='2199260']
Bad day?

In my opinion . When discussions get heated the other guys are always more passionate about getting their feelings across and sometimes someone needs to calm things down. We're all there to make sure the music is good.
[/quote]

Not at all, I am actually feeling quite cheerful.

How do you know bass players tend to have fewer bad days than the other guys? That's pure conjecture on your part.

I can't remember ever having a heated discussion in a band about the music, the sound, the arrangements, nothing. I know it goes on in some other bands, but being a good musician involves having social skills. Maybe the OP is talking about cover bands where the motivations are often different than in originals bands. I have also started to think a common misperception on BC is that most of us are in cover bands.

Oh, and I have met bassists who might have trouble calming a dead sloth, we are not all happy clappy cool dudes.

Edited by xilddx

Thoughts?
[/quote]

While I do agree that in all my bands I've always been the "useful" one (always got tool kit, spare batteries etc., know computers so reskinned MySpace pages (remember that?) and did website maintenance), I think that's more to do with the person I am rather than my role in the band.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378377575' post='2199280']
While I do agree that in all my bands I've always been the "useful" one (always got tool kit, spare batteries etc., know computers so reskinned MySpace pages (remember that?) and did website maintenance), I think that's more to do with the person I am rather than my role in the band.
[/quote]

Great. Can you come and fix my bog, then..? :huh:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378377933' post='2199286']
Sorry mannie, plumbing is not part of my skill set. I'm more professional computing, coupled with amateur electronics and joinery.
[/quote]

:D Just taking the p, as usual. I didn't really expect you to travel from Aberdeen to London to fix mah cludgie!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378377575' post='2199280']

I think that's more to do with the person I am rather than my role in the band.
[/quote]

That's the generally accepted stereotype. My feeling is that the type of person you are attracts you to a certain instrument. There are always exceptions of course, but the type of person you are will also dictate cover/originals band as well.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378379364' post='2199318']
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
[/quote]

Mostly to unfairly pigeonhole people or things without due consideration or justification it would seem.

For the record I know lovely keyboard players, modest guitarists who (and I quote) "get bored with playing solos", drummers who can play quietly with excellent range in their dynamics, singers who help out with load in/out beyond carrying a microphone and bass players who are rude and arrogant.

There's a few in the eye of the stereotypes. They aren't in the slightest bit useful, except for possibly creating clichéd jokes which I must confess to having a guilty laugh at, because I'm not perfect and all that.

I suppose I'm a spotty, polyester and pocket protector wearing herbert with the fashion sense of a wombat and the social skills of a cheese sandwich because I work in IT, right?

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1378379812' post='2199327']

Mostly to unfairly pigeonhole people or things without due consideration or justification it would seem.

[/quote]

That's not what I said at all.

Stereotypes exist because in the main that's how people are. Nobody decided a train spotter should wear an anorak and have a sandwich box with a lunch made by his mum in it. That's just how they tend to be.

People who play the bass are usually dependable sit at the back plodding out root notes and don't want to be noticed too much. I would suggest that 7/10 bass players match that description exactly.

3/10 will be up front dancing, doing backing vocals, throwing in tasty licks and solos.

You shouldn't use stereotypes to define people but you can define stereotypes by people. That's exactly how they come about.

If someone says they're a train spotter you shouldn't automatically assume they have an anorak and lunchbox.

If someone is standing on the platform of the station wearing an anorak, and carrying a lunchbox you can be fairly sure they're a train spotter.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378379364' post='2199318']
My feeling is that the type of person you are attracts you to a certain instrument.
[/quote]

Wot, like this you mean?

Violin - Kids who allowed their parents to bully them
Viola - Kids who turned up late for their first school music class
French Horn - People who buy garlic crushers and electric pepper mills
Tuba - Significant self-esteem issues
Trombone - Lonely people who buy suspicious ammounts of baby oil
Piccolo - Dog lovers
Flute - Cat lovers who hate dog lovers
Tympani/Percussion - Asbergers
Cello - Blokes who sit with their legs wide apart on the tube
Oboe - Combover