Why become a member? ×

Gentle grit rather than distortion...Recommend me a pedal?

Jigster

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1378303206' post='2198370']
Thanks for all the replies so far guys - liking the idea of the one knob (ooh er) Wren and Chuff and its minimal grit - yet in contrast also the idea of the MXR with the two channel option type thing.
[/quote]

I've had both and phat phuk is far superior IMO and not saying that because I'm selling. It remained on my board the m80 didn't

Two channel options can be a good call, I use it all the time with my COG custom and Fuzzrocious Rat Tail (2nd drive option). Check out the Knightfall '66' by COG Effects (based on my custom). It's an overdrive distortion that has two volume controllable channels and a bunch of diode options on each. So you can have channel 1 as low grit, and channel 2 as much heavier without a volume jump: [url="http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/si-poulton.php"]http://www.cogeffect.../si-poulton.php[/url]
As mentioned, Fuzzrocious also offer a 2nd Drive options on a bunch of their pedals, you could order Rat Tails, Grey Staches & Demon's direct from them for that option.
Also check out the Dark Driving, BDPG & Ram The Manparts pedals for low grit, Joes Pedals have some in stock: [url="http://www.joespedals.com/acatalog/Fuzzrocious_Pedals.html"]http://www.joespedal...ous_Pedals.html[/url]

I should also say that I'm a massive fan of the Xotic Bass BB Pre, excellent pedal with a ton of sounds. It's low grit sounds great!

Si

EHX English Muff'n is great for gentle grit. Even better than my EBS Valvedrive, though not made as well.

I also use the Aguilar Agro for a bit, though it is pretty 'clanky' rather than a gentle classic bit of fuzz/grit.

Generally play a few and get one that you like the sound of.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1378310085' post='2198473']

I should also say that I'm a massive fan of the Xotic Bass BB Pre, excellent pedal with a ton of sounds. It's low grit sounds great!

Si
[/quote]

TRUE TRUE.

I have two, one rolling into another, however Tom @ COG is slowly making me want to swap them out for a custom unit.
I could get something like the a double darklighter in one box with separate EQs. I would need to hear a one with a 2 or 3 band EQ before I decide properly.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378575801' post='2202060']

TRUE TRUE.

I have two, one rolling into another, however Tom @ COG is slowly making me want to swap them out for a custom unit.
I could get something like the a double darklighter in one box with separate EQs. I would need to hear a one with a 2 or 3 band EQ before I decide properly.
[/quote]

Just get the, as yet unreleased, Knightfall 66 ;)

Si

the Phat Phuk B is a great pedal with a great sound, however it does have a serious lack of flexibility compared to other pedals so i saw little use for it in the end really. The Cream Pie's that are for sale at the moment on the forum would be much better choices.

One half of my new Cog custom build (18v Knightfall) should hopefully provide the grit i need!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378287403' post='2198065']
[/size]
Ah well, there you go... my BDI-21 has been fully operational for years and has been gigged extensively, thrown around in boxes and gig bags, kicked around stages and generally abused and it's still going strong... so I'd say YMMV. :)
[/quote] ... ahh man, feeling a bit gutted now! I did think the ones I had sounded better than my Sanamps ... but my mileage was lame. Glad yours is still rockin' !

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1378245978' post='2197782']
Xotic BB preamp.

Had one and sold it, so brought it back along with another.

A BBBB preamp.
[/quote]

Agree, I use the emulation of this pedal on my Zoom B3 to add just a bit of grit, making the sound not completely clean.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1379692293' post='2215814']
I've emailed about release dates and price, like a Fizz'd fuzz for bass, or is that an over simplification?
[/quote]

A fizz'd fuzz?
You won't get a fuzz tone out of it unless you dime the Bass control, when you do that, it saturates to the point of fuzz, other than that it's a low-mid overdrive-distortion pedal :)
The Grand Tarkin will give you full on fuzz which could be scaled back I imagine

Si

I've just built a Catalinbread Poblano Picoso clone and it's ACE! It's designed as a booster/buffer/ampeg grit pedal but can get really loud due to the boost circuit. Chuck a volume control on the output stage and it's a keeper for sure.

Small enough to fit in a gig bag, and the parts cost even less than a BDI-21 too. :) Happy days.