Why become a member? ×

Advice on amps

action_panzer

OK so here is my situation:

I currently use an Ampeg BA115HP, and it is GREAT for everything I need it to do (small gigs, rehearsals, odd bit of recording - XLR out is noisy as heck but we'll gloss over it).

But I need to change my amp, as it weighs a ton, and I live at the top of a block of flats and have struggled with back problems for a year or so. This amp isn't helping, so even though I love how it sounds it has to go.

I'd really like a head and cab for flexibility down the line, and I need something light but not necessarily hugelypowerful - certainly at the moment 500w seems like overkill. I'm in a metal band that is just starting out really, so only small gigs on the horizon.

Any suggestions? Today I tried an Ampeg Micro VR and Hartke 2500, both through an Ampeg PF115 speaker. Neither of them seemed to have the guts and low-end of my BA115HP, although in a shop, where you can't crank it too much and don't have time to play too much with the settings to get your sound isn't ideal. Until this point I really thought the Micro VR would suit me...

So now I'm a bit stuck. Budget can go up to £1200 I would say, and I'm open to any suggestions at all.

Fire away! (and thanks for the help!)

With that sort of budget, why not try the Ampeg PF500 (or newer PF800) which weigh about 5kg and fit in a laptop bag, through a lightweight cab. I'm going to suggest a Barefaced cab - but not easy to try-before-you-buy as they are sourced direct from the manufacturer. However, they do have a one month trial option, and if it wasn't to your liking you would sell the cab on here in less than an hour. Downside is the current lead-time for delivery.

Alternatively, there are other lightweight cabs available - I see GK have recently released an updated version of their MBE range.

Your budget will get you some quality lightweight gear.

Cheers

Geoff

I'd suggest trying some of the microheads such as the Markbass LM etc, as you can pop it in a bag over your shoulder & get a good small cab such as the Barefaced Midget.

Like gsgbass says though, the Markbass combos are superb & the same size as just buying a seperate Markbass cab & if you did need a bigger rig, you could always add another cab. For £1200 you could pick up a 2nd hand 121 combo & 121 ext cab & probably have a little change.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1378197932' post='2196789']
If you like the ampeg sound then only ampeg will do IMHO

I don't know what they go for but secondhand mesa walkabout or similar?
[/quote]

If weight is the issue then these aren't all that light - something like a MarkBass CMD112 will be much lighter.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1378196051' post='2196764']
Are you near London? There's a big BassBash in three weeks where you'd be able to try half the amps in Christendom ...
[/quote]

or are you in the north east? there's a bass bash up here this sunday, I'll have barefaced midgets for trial and there will be tks cabs as well which are a smidge heavier but half the price. there will probably be heads from most of the top names there as well.

Matt

The Terror Bass does sound good from what I've heard. I think I will go down the higher powered route; makes no sense to buy a 200w rig now and need to replace it in 6 months.

I am near London, how do I find out about this Bass Bash? Nevet heard of them!

I do prefer a more trad sound.with low end and an oportunity to get dirty...

Edited by action_panzer

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1378198047' post='2196793']
Try telling Lozz that. :lol:
[/quote]

Yep, spot on there. For me, Markbass has "taken" them very fairly in an amp-fight. As an Ampeg-Fan of mega-proportions, I find that, although soloed they sound nothing like each other, in the mix Markbass and Ampeg sit roughly in the same area, within the mix providing a solid foundation for the other instruments.

But, if Ampeg is the sound that`s liked, I`d check out the PF500 or 800. They have the Deep boost so can get that really low, unlike the Micro VR which is a much more middy amp - rather like the PF without the Deep boost engaged.

Or Aguilar. I tried out an Aggie set-up at the London Bass Bash and was very impressed, it was very warm, round and full, much like Ampeg. There`s got to be a reason why Aguilar are like by a lot of heavy rock players.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1378226965' post='2197358']
Or Aguilar. I tried out an Aggie set-up at the London Bass Bash and was very impressed, it was very warm, round and full, much like Ampeg. There`s got to be a reason why Aguilar are like by a lot of heavy rock players.
[/quote]

That's easy!

From a distance it looks like "Airguitar", which should get the audience rocking! :yarr: