Why become a member? ×

Never thought I'd say this but...

Jimryan

I love my new earplugs.

My hearing and tinnitus are both getting increasing worse (to the point I've been referred to hospital). I've always hated ear plugs. I've used various cheap ones over the years, and looking back, it's using the cheaper ones, that has given me the view of "they're all rubbish and just muffle everything".

I've started playing for a band as a dep getting ready for a gig of theirs. The first rehearsal was loud. Since I received the hospital appointment, I've ignored my opinions and used the foam plugs. Couldn't hear a thing, but I felt better for it afterwards. The second rehearsal? I had a pair of foam plugs wedged in place and the rehearsal was so loud my ears were physically sore with plugs in. Why do people play in rehearsal rooms louder than they'd gig? After that, I said I wasn't going back if it's ever that loud again.

After this incident, I went into town, and bought some ear plugs from *shudders* music room.

£26 later, I've got a set with the changeable filters (these ones http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0421593/details.html). I put in the highest level filters, put them in the box and onto my key ring and remained sceptical. Though I was curious to "hear" the difference. Come Saturday night, I'm out and end up in a bar/club with a full PA at a DJ's disposal and thought I'd give them a try as they were on my keys.

WOW! Speech sounds normal, all the little noises can be heard, but this once monstrous PA has become a stereo in the living room. My mate questioned what I looked so pleased about and explained I had them in, apparently they couldn't even be seen.

So, I'm converted. I've always been aware of the importance of wearing them, I guess it's all about finding the right pair.

Dead chuffed.

Edited by Jimryan

+1 for ear plugs! My own band never gets so loud that I would need them, as I have a sensible and loud-phobic drummer, and I control the PA. I keep a pair of ear plugs in my gig case, and I have them to hand when depping or rehearsing with other bands. I have another pair that I can take to gigs that I'm attending.

I suffer a bit of distortion in my right ear that I got from sitting in front of the PA at a gig many years ago, so often I just put the right plug in. I favor Doc's Pro Plugs btw. You need to find the right size, but once sorted they are comfortable to wear, you can still carry on a conversation, and they don't make you look like div (but I would still use them if they did).

I'm the only one in my band who uses them. One chap is an aspiring session keys player - very talented and is only 18. He's told me he gets tinnitus after a gig, I told him quite bluntly to get some plugs before he's screwed his hearing for life.

I've done rehearsals with bands that've been loud and walked out when they're refused to turn down.

A rehearsal is just that, what's the point in being so loud that you can't actually hear what everyone's doing properly ?

I do more composing and production than playing at the moment, so my hearing is extremely valuable.

Very good. I'm generally the world's least sensible person, but have consistently used ear protection in noisy environments since I started playing in bands in 1974. So consequently I don't have any hearing problems whatsoever.

I just don't understand the common attitude amongst amplified musicians that it's somehow 'manly' or 'rock 'n' roll' to not wear earplugs. Would you deliberately damage your sight, touch, taste or sense of smell for no good reason..? It's just bloody stupid, imho and is the sign of an arse.

Of course, this doesn't stop me from annoying people by pretending to be deaf.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1378045982' post='2195033']
Thanks for the tip. Gonna get me some of those as I have a few gigs as a dep with a band who are quite loud.
[/quote]

Glad to have helped.

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1378048961' post='2195078']
Yep, I've got the same Alpines that you have. I like the way you get a choice of inserts. They are great and worth every penny.
[/quote]

I've not tried the other filters, just went straight in with the gold ones. The extras are quite handy too. The keyring case is brilliant as I'm less likely to lose my keys than a small plastic case, the inserting thing is useful as is the spare 3rd one. The little box of filters now lives in my hardcase whilst the plugs live on my keys.

I got a pair of these earlier in the year.

[url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=123"]http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=123[/url]

Expensive I know, I did get a discount though. They're extremely good, highly recommended if you're gonna be using them regularly. I had a pair that I bought from Amazon for about £20 before these, these are a lot better though. They take moulds of your ear so they fit properly, and you get different filters for them.

would these help someone who can still `hear` the gig a couple of hours after thus stopping me from sleeping? i had a hearing test at work 2 weeks ago and my hearing was pretty good to say im 46, apparently ive the hearing of an18 year old in left ear and 26 year old right ear :) probably through lack of use cos i never listen to the wife ;) ive found the musicsafe pro on ebay for £18.50

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1378053573' post='2195165']
would these help someone who can still `hear` the gig a couple of hours after thus stopping me from sleeping?
[/quote]

Definitely.

im 46, apparently ive the hearing of an 18 year old in left ear and 26 year old right ear :)
[/quote]

That adds up to 44 years - so it's about right, really. ;)

would these help someone who can still `hear` the gig a couple of hours after thus stopping me from sleeping? i had a hearing test at work 2 weeks ago and my hearing was pretty good to say im 46, apparently ive the hearing of an18 year old in left ear and 26 year old right ear :) probably through lack of use cos i never listen to the wife ;) ive found the musicsafe pro on ebay for £18.50
[/quote]

They're designed to filter out the dangerous higher frequencies, and attenuate the volume level to protect your hearing.

I used to find that cymbals caused the most problems.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1378053848' post='2195173']
They're designed to filter out the dangerous higher frequencies, and attenuate the volume level to protect your hearing.
[/quote]

Correct - there's an urban myth that if you stuck your head in a big sub at a gig you'd go deaf... but it's the top end that's the real killer.

Maybe they are awful! Although I use Doc's, the only other plugs I've tried for comparison are foam (unbearably dull, muffled sound) and those swimming plugs that look like 3 mushrooms (not great). I'll maybe try some of those the OP got and report back.

BTW my drummer paid £100+ to have some made to measure, but they look just like Doc's.

This might be a stupid question, but my ears don't hurt/ring after rehearsal and I never get a headache, could I still be damaging my ears? I think we rehearse pretty loud because, although my amp isn't particularly powerful, I find myself having to turn up to pretty much full volume to hear myself. I never [i]feel[/i] like I'm damaging my hearing, but I don't want to take the chance.

Cheers,

Tom