Why become a member? ×

Oh Dear, this is why they hate us SO MUCH

witterth

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377732852' post='2191263']
It's like finding a corpse in your f***ing greenhouse isn't it.
[/quote] As opposed to the Greenhouse I use for growing tomatoes and cucumbers :D

I just watched it (the 9mins 50secs went quite quickly :lol: ). I quite enjoyed it . I like Billy Sheehan and judging by the reaction of the other musicians so do they (but he has a godawful sound).

I actually enjoyed that. Some nice playing from everyone throughout from everyone, both while soloing and accompanying, nobody played over each other - a nice little jam indeed. On the subject of Billy Sheehan, he has actually gone up in my estimates as a result of this video! Of course I'm familiar with the videos of his gig solo/mindless fretw**kery and of course he has some killer chops on display here, but I thought his note selection was very nice and for me he didn't overpower the overall vibe*. Perhaps there may be a hint of jealousy/resentment in the negative comments??? I feel compelled to practice!

[size=2]Disclaimer - I am neither a jazzer or a music critic. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own personal opinion as a musician and a bassist making an assessment on what I heard and liked, not what I think "should" be the way to do things.[/size]

really cant see the hating hear. musically i dont think anyone was getting in each others way. cant say its my bag or what i would listen to. it certainly didnt hurt my ears. some wonderful playing from Patitucci, as there were others. i think the concept is worse than the actual reality

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1377810506' post='2192338']
What a load of pretentious sh*t.
[/quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thank the bass and musical world, that there isnt too much "pretentious sh*t" ? out there. where would we be.? :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

Edited by bubinga5

With all that fiddlin' around at the dusty end of the neck and multi stringed instruments why didn't they just play guitars?

Sorry, but I'm a believer in that bass is a tuneful rhythm instrument..................

.................................but I have got a rug like wot they've got so maybe I should shut up.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1377782028' post='2191719']
Matters of taste aside, I couldn't help feeling it was very loose, considering these are well regarded bass players. Above all else, it ought to be nice and tight!
[/quote]
It's a jam, not a rehearsed concert.

.... and I love the rug.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1377861881' post='2192869']
i couldnt bear the thought of bass playing being constricted in any way, like it or not. Music is about evolution. we wouldnt have some of the greats if musicians didnt push a boundary or two.. cant get my head around such old fashion views, that some seem to have
[/quote]

These chaps aren't pushing any boundaries, they're having an end of day (rehearsed) jam which was set up for entertainment purposes for the people who were there, a fitting close to the day, getting all these eminent fellas on a stage together, shame they were all blokes, but never mind.

The fact that it sounded rank is somewhat beside the point I suppose, but that shouldn't stop anyone saying they felt it sounded rank. Pattitucci did some nice things, some of them clearly had some trouble.

It's nothing connected to old fashioned views. And no music should be restricted, but taste will usually prevail.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1377864871' post='2192928']
i was referring to others peoples posts to be honest Nige. :) my point was i dont like the thought of every bassist holding down a root or something so daring as a fifth, or a double stop. blimey lets not even think of modes.
[/quote]

For a bass to be a [b]tuneful[/b] rhythm instrument it means that you don't have to stay on the root, fifth - you can play anything, including modes (whatever they are :o ), as I think you may notice if you listen to Jamerson, Dunn, McVie, Satterfield etc.
......but I'm probably wrong coz I know b*gger all about theory, technique and stuff and I can't read a dot, not for want of trying. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1377864871' post='2192928']
i was referring to others peoples posts to be honest Nige. :) my point was i dont like the thought of every bassist holding down a root or something so daring as a fifth, or a double stop. blimey lets not even think of modes.
[/quote]

Who does mate. But the general problem is that I don't think people, even most bassists, appreciate bass. They see gratuitous displays of technique and think that's progress, like that other thread about the supposed pinnacle of bass playing. We need to dig much deeper than that and appreciate that even very simple bass can be very difficult to write and play, the role of the bass is subtle and beautiful, and to really exploit that the player needs to think about harmony and structure.

I think some of this crazy sh*t like in the OP holds bass development back because I reckon a lot of people think that's what they need to learn to get noticed. They all want to solo, they want to get session fees, they want to impress, they want to be the first call bassist. It's sad really. They think Marcus Miller is the sum total of what they see and hear, they think that if they can emulate him then they must be as good as him and they will get work. But they forget about all the other stuff, the musical intelligence, the personal qualities, that make people like him so good at what they do.

I realise I sound like an arrogant bitch saying all this, but really, people need to develop their imaginations before they start learning all this crap they don't know how to use musically. Why do you think almost all bassists sound the same? Because they usually aspire to be someone else instead of discovering their own musical personalities, then they go to the London Bass Guitar Show and showcase their physical abilities on the Fodera stand. Most of em probably don't even realise that's everyone else does as well. Then the f***in klaxon goes off to shut them the f*** up :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377868186' post='2193004']
Who does mate. But the general problem is that I don't think people, even most bassists, appreciate bass. They see gratuitous displays of technique and think that's progress, like that other thread about the supposed pinnacle of bass playing. We need to dig much deeper than that and appreciate that even very simple bass can be very difficult to write and play, the role of the bass is subtle and beautiful, and to really exploit that the player needs to think about harmony and structure.

I think some of this crazy sh*t like in the OP holds bass development back because I reckon a lot of people think that's what they need to learn to get noticed. They all want to solo, they want to get session fees, they want to impress, they want to be the first call bassist. It's sad really. They think Marcus Miller is the sum total of what they see and hear, they think that if they can emulate him then they must be as good as him and they will get work. But they forget about all the other stuff, the musical intelligence, the personal qualities, that make people like him so good at what they do.

I realise I sound like an arrogant bitch saying all this, but really, people need to develop their imaginations before they start learning all this crap they don't know how to use musically. Why do you think almost all bassists sound the same? Because they usually aspire to be someone else instead of discovering their own musical personalities, then they go to the London Bass Guitar Show and showcase their physical abilities on the Fodera stand. Most of em probably don't even realise that's everyone else does as well. Then the f***in klaxon goes off to shut them the f*** up :)
[/quote]

Here here. Although I enjoyed the video, what you have said here is absolutely right in terms of general approach to musicianship.

Voila!

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1377884547' post='2193274']
The singer in my band has just sent me this. Thought I'd share it.[attachment=142730:10 commandments of bass.jpg]
[/quote]

[attachment=142732:10 commandments of bass.jpg]

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1377742743' post='2191288']
That was like walking barefooted and stepping in a dog turd[size=1]. [size=4]Yuck.[/size][/size]
[/quote]

No. I did that yesterday and it felt better. Well I had boots on but it still felt better.

Could be worse. Could have been a room full of slap players. Doesnt matter what bass is reviewed on Youtube there is a 90% chance there will be a guy sat in a music shop frantically whapping away with his thumb with a smug "look at me ma, Im a clever cloggs" expression on his face. We dont all play slap, or are interested in what a bass sounds like when you bang away on it with your thumb at high velocity. Dont get me wrong, slap has its place and I am envious of those that can do it, but its overdone..