Why become a member? ×

Backup amp or D.I?

M@23

Hey all,

My LMIII has been less than reliable the past few weeks or so and I'm just getting round to sending it back as it is still under warranty.
I got caught out Saturday just gone as it died completely during out second set and i had to go direct into the desk, so i'm wondering now, what people use for backups. Not sure whether to get another amp or a D.I - something like the MXR M80.
Obviously both have their plus points and i'd like to get another amp, but funds won't allow it in the short term.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap(ish) D.I, or is it worth getting a cheap backup amp?

Cheers

Edited by M@23

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377717703' post='2190876']
BDI-21 - £26.
[/quote]

The cheapest but most handy bit of kit you can own. I use mine for a bit of bass boost when the banjo player decides to go all widdily widdily. Used it on a open mic night last week right into the desk and it performed perfectly.

Edited by jezzaboy

Behringer BDI21 is a great bit of kit.

But, if you`re looking for a backup to the LMII, I`d look at the Zoom B3, as it has amp-modelling on it, and one of the amps is the LMII. Also has much much more on it, but I use mine just for compression, a bit of drive, and the tuner. Should my amp fail, I`ve still got my exact same sound straight to desk.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377721833' post='2190979']
Behringer BDI21 is a great bit of kit.

But, if you`re looking for a backup to the LMII, I`d look at the Zoom B3, as it has amp-modelling on it, and one of the amps is the LMII. Also has much much more on it, but I use mine just for compression, a bit of drive, and the tuner. Should my amp fail, I`ve still got my exact same sound straight to desk.
[/quote]

Thanks. That looks very interesting. Seems very well regarded. Lots of features for the money too.

I think class d amps are ace for this, I take a shuttle 3.0 as a spare to my 6.0 or the 6.0 as backup to the shuttlemax9.2 if it is a larger gig where losing stage sound isn't ideal, all three heads have a good quality di too handy for recording or live stuff. Not really a fair comparison to a di box cost wise though.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1377724295' post='2191060']
I think class d amps are ace for this, I take a shuttle 3.0 as a spare to my 6.0 or the 6.0 as backup to the shuttlemax9.2 if it is a larger gig where losing stage sound isn't ideal, all three heads have a good quality di too handy for recording or live stuff. Not really a fair comparison to a di box cost wise though.
[/quote]
That's the aim I think. Leaning towards a Behringer unit in the short time and get another head when funds allow.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377725627' post='2191114']
Yes. The BDI-21 would be a bargain at three times the price. It doesn't sound quite as good as a SansAmp Bass Driver - but it's VERY close. [size=4]When you look at the huge price difference between the two, there's no contest.[/size]
[/quote]

I actually prefer the Behringer Mark, it`s not quite so deep & full-on as the SansAmp, think it has a touch more Ampeggy vibe to it.

I reckon as a 'get out of jail free card' the BDI-21 is really hard to beat. Amazon must actually have them in stock at £26 now, free postage - I ordered one months ago and it finally arrived a week or to back.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1377767531' post='2191445']

And now I quite fancy a di box, bloody gas eh :lol:
[/quote]

Yep! And the longer it plays on your mind, the more convinced you become that you NEED it!
I have ordered a Behringer job as I'm stuck for gigs over the next few days and at that price it'd be rude not to! Definitely going to check the Zoom out though as it looks like it would be ideal for the sh*tty venues you don't want to use over a grands worth of amp and cab at!
Cheers guys.