Why become a member? ×

When Is a Bass Worth it?

Lowender

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377544431' post='2188715']
I'd tend to agree, having just bought a MIM Jazz... my previous ownership experience has been with Vintage MIA and Custom P basses. Fair enough, I had to shim the neck to get the action where I wanted it, and I've fitted a set of DR Fat Beams, but it doesn't seem inferior compared to anything else - in my view. It bounces along very nicely and is easy to play. In fact it sounds very much like a Fender Jazz Bass. Which is about right, isn't it..? Or have I just been lucky, d'you think? :)
[/quote]

No, my lad plays a Mexican deluxe Jazz, sounds more like a Jazz than a Jazz! Great sound, plays very nicely, he has no complaints about it at all.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1377690544' post='2190367']
What we need is a mass blindfold test. Blindfold the players and the audience. Give the players a selection of Fender and Squier P or J from various factories, plus some cheap clones and some boutique ones. See who can tell the difference.
[/quote]

And then let the player pick the one he finds more comfortable. :D

What we need is a mass blindfold test. Blindfold the players and the audience. Give the players a selection of Fender and Squier P or J from various factories, plus some cheap clones and some boutique ones. See who can tell the difference.
[/quote]

Well, that would certainly stop people listening with their eyes.

[/quote]

But if you are using an instrument in a gig situation, how it looks is as important as how it sounds and plays.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377695980' post='2190476']

But if you are using an instrument in a gig situation, how it looks is as important as how it sounds and plays.
[/quote]

True, but in this context where they would be comparing all P and J clones, I doubt the audience would be able to tell the difference visually between a Celinder and a Vintage J.

Honestly, I've been blown away by some basses that people would turn their nose up at, I've also played high end basses that have been perfection but if I were starting again and I didn't have the gas I have now I'd just get one of these:
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-v-satin-olympic-white/84495?gclid=CLCM_t6xoLkCFUuWtAodaW4AZA"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-v-satin-olympic-white/84495?gclid=CLCM_t6xoLkCFUuWtAodaW4AZA[/url]
Because for me, it's built well, it's going to have more tones than most of us are ever going to need and it looks fantastic too, and at that price I wouldn't be crying my ass back to the music shop if it got a bit scuffed up!
Cai

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' timestamp='1377701557' post='2190549']
Honestly, I've been blown away by some basses that people would turn their nose up at, I've also played high end basses that have been perfection but if I were starting again and I didn't have the gas I have now I'd just get one of these:
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk...CFUuWtAodaW4AZA"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFUuWtAodaW4AZA[/url]
Because for me, it's built well, it's going to have more tones than most of us are ever going to need and it looks fantastic too, and at that price I wouldn't be crying my ass back to the music shop if it got a bit scuffed up!
Cai
[/quote]

Yes. It's a good looking bass. Isn't it crazy though how we spend so much time [i]looking [/i]at basses. Weighing up costs and aesthetics.
If we went to see a major bass player on stage and saw he was playing a Wesley/Squier/Encore/etc our dreams would be shattered.

We spend ages on ebay (some do at least), looking for bargains. (As if we're going to find a bargain that the other 530,000 ebay viewers have missed) - but again it's all visual.

We look at the bass in the link above and like it's looks, but dismiss it cos it's less than £400 from new. But before we dismiss it, what does it [i]sound & feel [/i]like? Isn't that what it's about?

Many of the "bargains" on ebay are probably there because some poor mug (includes me) bought a bass on looks alone and found it's not for him because of sound or feel.

My gripe is the lack of honesty on the reviews on Youtube. I love those by Ed Friedland - "The Bass Whisperer" He's about the best reviewer on there IMHO. They're clear and not over the top. They seem honest, but when you think about it; when have you heard him say, "this bass isn't for me, the neck's too thick", or "damn this thing's like lead" ?

I'm not asking for reviews to slag stuff off ruthlessly, some critical points would be interesting.

And another thing - why do reviewers insist on slapping the damned thing!?!? I need to hear a long sustained note to hear the gravel in the tone..

Rant over. :)

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1377703389' post='2190580']

My gripe is the lack of honesty on the reviews on Youtube. I love those by Ed Friedland - "The Bass Whisperer" He's about the best reviewer on there IMHO. They're clear and not over the top. They seem honest, but when you think about it; when have you heard him say, "this bass isn't for me, the neck's too thick", or "damn this thing's like lead" ?

[/quote]

Boom, Yes Ed Friedland is really good, in fact this guy is the reason I am trading my Sandberg JM5 For a HumanBase Roxy, he went through all the tone settings without doing too much fancy stuff and allowed me to hear what I needed to here, the bass has the sound I want (and need for my current project) and it's a little bit smaller than a bulky jazz body so I'll find it more comfortable, the rest of the parts are near identical to the Sandberg hardware, so it ticks pretty much all the boxes for me!

Cai

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' timestamp='1377704308' post='2190593']
Boom, Yes Ed Friedland is really good, in fact this guy is the reason I am trading my Sandberg JM5 For a HumanBase Roxy, he went through all the tone settings without doing too much fancy stuff and allowed me to hear what I needed to here, the bass has the sound I want (and need for my current project) and it's a little bit smaller than a bulky jazz body so I'll find it more comfortable, the rest of the parts are near identical to the Sandberg hardware, so it ticks pretty much all the boxes for me!

Cai
[/quote]

And Ed Friedland is exactly the reason why I consider YouTube demos to be mostly pointless. His demo of the Lightwave Saber sounds absolutely nothing like the one I used to have when I played it. IMO he just made it sound like Ed Friedland.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377711604' post='2190739']
And Ed Friedland is exactly the reason why I consider YouTube demos to be mostly pointless. His demo of the Lightwave Saber sounds absolutely nothing like the one I used to have when I played it. IMO he just made it sound like Ed Friedland.
[/quote]
A fair point, fortunately there wasn't too much fancy stuff as I mentioned be he went though all the options on the bass (which on a Humanbase is a lot) so I was able to get quite a good idea of what sounds to expect.
Still tempted by one of those modern players jazz bases in the futures as a all round do everything bass though, brilliant backup basses and a great stand alone instrument if you're just having one

Cai

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377711604' post='2190739']
[/quote] ...as others have said; "the funk is in the fingers".
The sound is down to you and how YOU play, so going by headstock names and buying "cherry-red" over "swamp ash" or whatever is all cr@p. You have to try one out.

Thank God we still have some shops about still - not that that's my point.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1377714870' post='2190806']
...as others have said; "the funk is in the fingers".
The sound is down to you and how YOU play, so going by headstock names and buying "cherry-red" over "swamp ash" or whatever is all cr@p. You have to try one out.

Thank God we still have some shops about still - not that that's my point.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree and I do support my local music shop (although some of the staff are clueless) but unfortunately the Human Base Roxy is rare as hens teeth in England so it was a case of knowing I love the delano dickup, I know the hardware is on par with what I like, and the shape suits me more, then it came down to trying to find youtube videos of that exact bass (which there are few of by the way)

at the end of the day I'm getting a cheaper bass that I will be more comfy with and it sounds nice :P job done :)

Cai

Edited by Ghosts Over Japan

I dont tend to respond to these threads because there is so much subjectivity that you never learn anything about the topic only peoples opinions. In general the human condition wants to improve and get better and maybe our guitars are a function of that , but sometimes it is the constant marketing bullshit that goes with everything that leads us that way.

The grass my friends is always greener ............until you decide that your own grass does just fine thanks , and further more you are not really bothered what anyone else thinks of it :)

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1377703389' post='2190580']

I'm not asking for reviews to slag stuff off ruthlessly, some critical points would be interesting.

[/quote]

I doubt if it's a lack of honesty. The level of manufacturer that's going to send Ed Friedland a bass to review is going to make sure it's set up right and the fret ends aren't sharp. Even if he did get one in bad shape, the first thing he would have to do is go back to the press dept and ask if that was really their normal standard, and they'd send him a good one. After that, anything else he could criticise would be subjective and, on Youtube, would probably get angry comments from people who own that bass and think it's wonderful. And anyway, what doesn't suit Ed might suit you or me fine. I happen to like wider necks.

The best you can hope for in a review is an accurate description and impression of it, and maybe that helps you make your own judgement.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1377810607' post='2192339']
I doubt if it's a lack of honesty. The level of manufacturer that's going to send Ed Friedland a bass to review is going to make sure it's set up right and the fret ends aren't sharp. Even if he did get one in bad shape, the first thing he would have to do is go back to the press dept and ask if that was really their normal standard, and they'd send him a good one. After that, anything else he could criticise would be subjective and, on Youtube, would probably get angry comments from people who own that bass and think it's wonderful. And anyway, what doesn't suit Ed might suit you or me fine. I happen to like wider necks.

The best you can hope for in a review is an accurate description and impression of it, and maybe that helps you make your own judgement.
[/quote]
You make a good point. In a previous life I used to send products to the press for review. So I do know how a lot of it works.

The other point is it Ed's job to review basses and fill columns in the mag with editorial. If her were to slag off a manufacturers latest bass Ed would be concerned that I may be the last bass he will get from them. And the last thing Ed needs is to find a competitor can get instruments to review, but he can't. It's not an easy game.