Why become a member? ×

Ambitious band leaders

bassist_lewis

Evening fellows, I haven't posted here in a while but need some opinions to check I'm not being a d**k.

So, a friend of mine started a funk band and asked me to join, we've had 2 rehearsals (and a third I couldn't make) and the music is good, as are the players. However, one of the guys lives about 2 hours away and the band leader insists we go rehearse with him sometimes because he has no transport.

Also, the band leader wants to record in October but the singer can't make rehearsal til September so songs won't start getting written until then. I've told him that that isn't enough time as the songs aren't finished but he's now talking about people needing to commit and doing 2 rehearsals a week.

I think he's over-ambitious and unrealistic but am I being a stick in the mud?

I'd agree that you probably don't have enough time to get the tunes to a level where it's worth recording. Unless you're already working from demos that are pretty 'finished' as it is.

If the band leader is dictating parts then I guess all you need to do is remember yours and off you go, but if you're all contributing to the songs and they're growing quite organically in rehearsals then no, you don't have enough time.

Edited by thisnameistaken

What is the purpose of the recording?

If it's to lay down a demo for gigs then that seems a good idea. Two months, twice a week to get up to speed, record demo, reign back rehearsals and get gigs.

It's only ambitious if the rest of the band aren't willing to put the work in.

How's the guy with no transport (Let me guess, drummer?) going to get to gigs? That would be more of a concern to me.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376431818' post='2174034']
What is the purpose of the recording?

If it's to lay down a demo for gigs then that seems a good idea. Two months, twice a week to get up to speed, record demo, reign back rehearsals and get gigs.

It's only ambitious if the rest of the band aren't willing to put the work in.

How's the guy with no transport (Let me guess, drummer?) going to get to gigs? That would be more of a concern to me.
[/quote]

It's the sax player who lives far away. I'm all for recording a demo but the singer is doing a fringe show so can't rehearse til September, so only 1 month. I can't do 2 rehearsals, I have 3 other bands, gigs, a full time job plus a life.

Parts are written but flexible. The singer hasn't written everything yet so structures are still to be finished, as are brass parts.

I'm not sure I would do a 4hour round trip for a Sax player. If there are 4 of you travelling that's 16man hours before you start rehearsing.

The rest I could work round. Learn your bass parts, turn up to practices, just avoid getting involved any further.

its doable, i was in a band that got together, wrote a set, recorded a demo and gigged in the space of 9 weeks, but we all had the same motivation.

to me, it sounds like a mess from the start, too many "members" not being able to practice, and as for travelling 4 round hours for practices with the sax player? f*** that.

Maybe the band leader is trying to pull everyone towards one goal, which is not a bad thing, but if you can't get all the members together all the time, its going to be disaster

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1376467097' post='2174187']
to me, it sounds like a mess from the start, too many "members" not being able to practice, and as for travelling 4 round hours for practices with the sax player? f*** that.
[/quote]

Agree, I know sax players can be hard to find but surely there's one available closer to everyone else or that at least has own transport?

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1376471262' post='2174258']
+1
I'd either slows this down or run a mile
[/quote]

sounds like that to me as well.

2 rehearsals a week...???? what for..??
what do you achieve...?
Where are the gigs that require this..??

Everyone needs a minimum commit, I agree, but this all sounds pretty excessive for no returns on the horizon..??

Pretty soon, you will need a band meet...to determine what level of commitment everyone CAN and is WILLINg to give.

With your workload, I'd be looking to get this sorted asap...

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1376466774' post='2174183']
....I hear the time-bomb ticking on this one....
[/quote]

+1

When someone starts a band they pull together people they know and like. There usually follows a period of "readjustment" when some of those faces don't fit as well as was first thought.

Ability, attitude, commitment and location are all reasons for a P45. That's just the way it goes.

I wouldn't record until everyone's on the same page and up to speed.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1376463493' post='2174156']
the singer is doing a fringe show so can't rehearse til September, so only 1 month. I can't do 2 rehearsals, I have 3 other bands, gigs, a full time job plus a life.

Parts are written but flexible. The singer hasn't written everything yet so structures are still to be finished, as are brass parts.
[/quote]

That's all sorted then, book your studio for next February :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1376482184' post='2174505']
+1

When someone starts a band they pull together people they know and like. There usually follows a period of "readjustment" when some of those faces don't fit as well as was first thought.

Ability, attitude, commitment and location are all reasons for a P45. That's just the way it goes.

I wouldn't record until everyone's on the same page and up to speed.
[/quote]

Exactly right IMO.

Don't get me wrong; it's great that your band leader's setting goals and pushing the group to get something accomplished, but I can't see any reason to set a definite date until the songs have been completed and you're all happy with them.