Why become a member? ×

Sound Control - Re-launch

BassDad

[quote name='dlloyd' post='218004' date='Jun 12 2008, 10:56 PM']If you're an unsecured creditor of Sound Control (which is what you are if you've paid a deposit for an item or paid in full for an item that you haven't received), you've lost your money for good.[/quote]

Unless you paid by Credit Card (NOT Debit Card) and it's between £100 and £30,000......Possibly...... Speak to your Credit Card company!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='218180' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:19 AM']Here's a list of the shops that have been bought by other companies. I've left blank spaces next to those for which there's no news so far:

[code]Birmingham Arbiter/Reverb
Bristol Arbiter/Reverb
Derby
Dundee
Dunfermline
Edinburgh Red Dog Music
Glasgow City Arbiter/Reverb
Glasgow West CC Music (Jimmy Egypt)
Hull
Kirkcaldy
Leeds City PMT
Leeds East
Leicester Arbiter/Reverb
London
Manchester City
Manchester Salford PMT
Milton Keynes
Newcastle
Norwich PMT
Nottingham
Preston
Sheffield East Arbiter/Reverb
Southampton
Stockton Arbiter/Reverb
Stoke

Turnkey PMT
Soho Soundhouse PMT[/code]

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29530/Arbiter-scoops-six-Sound-Control-stores"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29530/Arbiter...-Control-stores[/url]
[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29535/PMT-secures-purchase-of-Turnkey-and-Soho-Soundhouse"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29535/PMT-sec...Soho-Soundhouse[/url]
[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29539/CC-Music-scoops-Glasgow-West"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29539/CC-Musi...ps-Glasgow-West[/url]
[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29523/Red-Dog-Music-acquires-Sound-Control-Edinburgh"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29523/Red-Dog...ntrol-Edinburgh[/url][/quote]

MB1. :)
P.M.T in Salford Manchester,theyll need a veritable aircraft hangar of Goodies for that one! :huh:

I got a huge letter from them today detailing whats going to happen, somethin along the lines of "blah blah you're an unsecured creditor blah blah blah getting nothing blah blah suck on that etc etc" rather informing.
Theres £600 i'll never see again, i guess its the street corner for me!

[quote name='sam88' post='218940' date='Jun 14 2008, 06:41 PM']I got a huge letter from them today detailing whats going to happen, somethin along the lines of "blah blah you're an unsecured creditor blah blah blah getting nothing blah blah suck on that etc etc" rather informing.
Theres £600 i'll never see again, i guess its the street corner for me![/quote]

very unlucky man, is there nothing else you can do, no one (legal) you can take it to? Have a word with citizens advice and see what they have to say about it. I'd be fuming and on the war path :)

i've been everywhere and its just tough luck is what i've been told over and over. The amp was actually in the store i just hadn't picked it up which is the annoying thing about it! But when i managed to track down a real live person instead of a recorded message it turns out they are quite entitled to sell if on again, gotta love the legal system fighting the good fight for the little guy! :)

[quote name='sam88' post='218978' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:30 PM']i've been everywhere and its just tough luck is what i've been told over and over. The amp was actually in the store i just hadn't picked it up which is the annoying thing about it! But when i managed to track down a real live person instead of a recorded message it turns out they are quite entitled to sell if on again, gotta love the legal system fighting the good fight for the little guy! :)[/quote]

Was it a new amp and do you have any paperwork to prove that you bought it?

If so it would be worth getting in touch with the manufacturer/UK distributor and explaining politely the situation to them.
They're not obliged to do anything, but at the very least they could give you a good discount were you to buy another one from a financially more stable outlet. After all you'd be posting back here and telling us what a great company they were.

A little good publicity goes a long way...

I rang them earlier...

"Hello, do you have a 20% promotion?"
"Er...um...yeah..er..20%..yeah"
"Good, what sort of guitar stands do you have"
"Er...we don't have....mumble mumble"
"You what sorry"
"Er yeah we don't have any..."
"Right well, are you going to get anymore?"
"Er...mumble mumble....dunno"

I actually don't know why I rang them, I really don't - well I did, I thought I could get a few quid off a hercules stand, but because the same till jockeys are still answering the phone. If I mention that I'm going to even consider giving them any of my business ever again, tell me I'm talking bollocks.

Does Arbiter taking control of half a dozen stores mean that Arbiter distributed goods are going to be exclusively available through Reverb stores?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='218981' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:44 PM']Was it a new amp and do you have any paperwork to prove that you bought it?

If so it would be worth getting in touch with the manufacturer/UK distributor and explaining politely the situation to them.
They're not obliged to do anything, but at the very least they could give you a good discount were you to buy another one from a financially more stable outlet. After all you'd be posting back here and telling us what a great company they were.

A little good publicity goes a long way...[/quote]

i ve found a good second hand ampeg now so i'm just going to cut my losses and go with that. lesson learned though for the future!

[quote name='sam88' post='219228' date='Jun 15 2008, 02:52 PM']i ve found a good second hand ampeg now so i'm just going to cut my losses and go with that. lesson learned though for the future![/quote]

£600 though?! Maybe £600 means more to me at the moment than it does to you, but if I were you then I’d literally be doing everything I could to get my amp or cash back. I’d be f***ing fuming man. If you’ve taken it as far as you reasonably can then I’d be tempted to sh*t in box and send it to the return address of the letter that you received just for a laugh :huh: It’d make me feel a bit more even in my very immature 23 year old mind :)
I am one to hold a grudge though when large corporate companies f*** around with my money, like Virgin Media for example.

[quote name='sam88' post='218978' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:30 PM']i've been everywhere and its just tough luck is what i've been told over and over. The amp was actually in the store i just hadn't picked it up which is the annoying thing about it! But when i managed to track down a real live person instead of a recorded message it turns out they are quite entitled to sell if on again, gotta love the legal system fighting the good fight for the little guy! :)[/quote]
I don't see how they can sell it on again. After you'd finished the transaction, the amp was your property, regardless of where it physically was, hence selling it to someone else is theft, plain and simple (taking an item with intent to permanently depriving a person of that item). Have you spoken to the police?

I think until he picked up the amp it remained SC's, and now it's the administrators, and no-one's under any obligation to help him out. If you had gone down to the shop on the day they went into administration you probably could have picked it up, but..... It's just a bit sh*t really.

Legally though surely he owns the amp if he's paid for it in full and has the receipt to prove this, and as tauzero says, this has to be regardless of its physical location.

I'd take tauzero's advice and speak to the police about it but citizens advice is always a good place to start and they were very helpful with me when I had some issues about returning a 37” LCD TV a few months ago. Their website has loads of advice about many different consumer predicaments - [url="http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk"]http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk[/url] – find something relevant and maybe quote some applicable legislation or retail law in a strongly worded letter to the administrators in charge of the SC issue. I wouldn’t bend over and take it just because they sent you one letter saying that they didn’t owe you anything.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='219816' date='Jun 16 2008, 01:13 PM']I'm not aware of the legalities, but i'm pretty sure you're wrong. I think some lawyer on the board even posted a message to this effect on a different thread concerning the same topic.[/quote]

Damn, well if there’s nothing legal (as such) that can be done then I’d be tempted to phone the police and tell them I’ve been robbed and explain the situation :)
I’m surprised sam88 seems relatively happy to lose his £600 in this way, but either way I think it’s a bit of a joke if the amp is sitting in the shop but he just can’t get to it - unlucky

The only reason i'm saying this is that a company in our industry wen into administration this year, and we bought all of the stock and the brand name and etc. There was stock there that had been bought by customers, and paid for, and it was legally ours (for 1% of the price to the customer). Similarly, this company was owed quite a lost by some customers, and the (former) owners of the company will never get that back.

well at first i was absolutely fuming/depressed about losing it because i had to do some godawful shift patterns to raise the money e.g. a night shift, day shift, night shift,, day shift night shift SLEEP with the help of the ever ready Pro Plus caffeine pills . but after a while it becomes pointless to be annoyed, the fact the amp was there was definitely the major sore point but im assuming they hadnt paid ashdown for it either so maybe they have as much legal ownership as i do? best thing is just to move on, get on with it, it would only make me miserable to focus on it.
a good few days of constant moaning was very theraputic!

sam88, I would definitely get in touch with Ashdown about this. OK you've since bought another amp, but that's not the point. Tell them exactly what happened. I wouldn't expect a free amp but there's always the chance that they would be able to sort you out with a really good deal on some other equipment. You'll be back on these forums telling everyone what a great company Ashdown are. It won't cost them anything and they get some great publicity out of it. For the time involved to write an email or letter you've got nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is they'll tell you sorry they can't do anything, but there's a good chance that you will get something out of it.