Why become a member? ×

Which Thunderbird?

Guest MoJo

After years of not liking them at all, I've got a sudden hankering for a Thunderbird :blink:. I can't afford Gibson money so it looks as though it's going to have to be an Epiphone or maybe a Tokai. There are a number of different Epi's, the Standard IV with a bolt on neck, the IV Pro with a set neck and a rather delicious Metallic Red Limited Edition one for sale here on the forum.

Has anyone had any experience that would help me chose which model is probably the one to go for? I realise reducing the neck dive is going to be an issue on all of them but, your opinions would be appreciated

The big problem with choosing a Thunderbird is that all the versions available are essentially completely different instruments which just happen to share roughly the same body shape.

None of the currently made models (including the Gibson ones) are like the original 1960s models.

Of the cheaper models the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro is the closest to the CURRENT Gibson version.

Really you need to go and try them all for yourself. I personally wouldn't consider any of the Epiphone bolt-on models, because upper neck access is already poor enough on the design without adding a bolt-on neck joint to the equation, but plenty of others like them because their construction makes them more like the Fenders they are familiar with.

In the end only you can decide

Edited by BigRedX

Thunderbird Pro has the shape and the through neck, but with a more traditional bridge than the Gibson 3 point design and a lot of tonal options thanks to the 2 band eq.

The amount of mahogany in them means they are a bit on the weighty side. Mine's about the same as my RB950.

I've tried the Epi Standard IV, Pro IV and Classic IV Pro at various points. it's well worth trying them all before you decide - they all feel very different.

My biggest complaint about the Standard IV is the neck - it's got a 1.75" nut width, which felt like playing a cricket bat. Both the Pros are 1.5" nut width - much more Jazz-like in feel.

The Pro IV is possibly better designed with the fixed bridge, but I believe these models had some serious QC issues early on. Certainly the one I tried (a natural) had a really poor finish to the back of the neck - it felt quite rough. Not at all pleasant to play.

The Classic IV sounds amazing - the Gibson USA pickups are really full of character. Unfortunately, again, the one I tried had major QC issues. The action was literally 1/4" and I think the bridge was off-centre. However, this seems to be unusual, a lot of people rave about the Classics, so I might just have got a Friday afternoon special.

Basically, my advice would be try them all, and if you find a good one, grab it with both hands.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1375954797' post='2167773']
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic...

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-thunderbird-classic-iv-usa-pickups-alpine-white/57334"]http://www.gak.co.uk...ine-white/57334[/url]
[/quote]

+100

I'm not much of a thunderbird fan, played a good few customshops, and Gibson ones, plus one from the Mid sixties I believe (Only one I liked playing)

Played the Epiphone Pro classic and loved it, still not totally my cup of tea, but really enjoyed the tone and playing! Made me a bit of a convert ;)

I hated both the Thunderbird Pros that I've tried. Apart from the body shape they didn't have any of the feel or sound that I would associate with a classic Gibson Thuderbird from the 60s. Essentially it's just a very ordinary MiK active bass with an over-inflated price tag due to the name. and body shape.

I think you need to ask yourself what it is about the Thunderbird that appeals to you. If it's the sound of all those classic rock records from the 70s then probably nothing but an original (not a modern one) Gibson will do. You could get whichever of the modern versions feels best and put one of the good aftermarket 60s-style pickups in it, but you'll probably end up paying more the pickups than you paid for the bass.

If you just like the shape, then there are plenty of other options to look at like the Spector Rex, models from various Japanese manufacturers and there's someone in the US making B-O neck Fenderbirds all of which would be worth your consideration.

To be honest, I just fancied something as a bit of a change from Fender and it's clones that I've played almost exclusively for the past 30 odd years. I currently play in a 'classic rock covers' band and thought that the tone and shape of the Thunderbird would suit the band well. May have to have a rethink after reading some of the comments. I don't want a bright sparkly active sound if I'm honest.

If you`re after the T-Bird sound Mark, but without the unwieldyness of the T-Bird itself, the Gibson EB2013 would be a cracker (£750 though).

Or, a Les Paul bass. I picked up a 2nd hand Epiphone Les Paul Standard at the weekend, and it has the deep thuddy rock sound that is associated with a T-Bird, but in a much easier to play and cart about package. The Epi Les Paul Special would no doubt do this is well (Epi stopped the Standard, and brought out the Special).

Well....I am just like you. I suddenly wanted one after 35yrs of playing and wanted to dip my toe. Bought a used Epi T-Bird IV (bolt on neck) from a member here and really, really dig it. It plays & sounds great.

Honestly you cannot go wrong with these basses 2nd hand to scratch the itch. They are cheap as chips and on a comparable quality with Squiers.

I would go for a classic Epi T Bird IV and there a few on gumtree at around £100 so not much to lose and you can always sell it for a similar amount if not happy with it.

I bought one two years for £110 for the same reasons as you and preferred in to my Fender MIM PBass. So much so that I bought a Gibson version last year. Obviously better quality, lighter and a brighter and clear tone. The Epi sounds a bit muddy by comparison but my band never noticed when I used the Epi instead one night.

Oh and no issues with neck dive if you move the button to the neck joint and use a wide leather strap that will not slip.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375967180' post='2168013']
I hated both the Thunderbird Pros that I've tried. Apart from the body shape they didn't have any of the feel or sound that I would associate with a classic Gibson Thuderbird from the 60s. Essentially it's just a very ordinary MiK active bass with an over-inflated price tag due to the name. and body shape.

I think you need to ask yourself what it is about the Thunderbird that appeals to you. If it's the sound of all those classic rock records from the 70s then probably nothing but an original (not a modern one) Gibson will do. You could get whichever of the modern versions feels best and put one of the good aftermarket 60s-style pickups in it, but you'll probably end up paying more the pickups than you paid for the bass.

If you just like the shape, then there are plenty of other options to look at like the Spector Rex, models from various Japanese manufacturers and there's someone in the US making B-O neck Fenderbirds all of which would be worth your consideration.
[/quote]

I'll tell you what BRX. I know you often mention the fact that the modern TBird ain't got the old school pick-ups and that, but don't knock it too much. I've got one, and in its defense all I can say is when I took it round to Jake Newman's house he said 'Now That's What A bass Should Sound Like'.

And I happen to think it sounds pretty good in all.

The smell while opening the case is worth the money on its own! :)[size=4] [/size]

I've got the Epi classic pro 1V with the Gibson pick ups and it sounds good :-). Quality is very good on mine but it does have a dip or mark under the clear coat on the headstock but you can't notice it unless you really look ..Set up from the factory wasn't good but soon remedied. I'd get the best pick ups you can afford .... I've got the sunburst but the white looks really cool... Saw a guy on Jools with one a few months back

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375985778' post='2168348']
If you`re after the T-Bird sound Mark, but without the unwieldyness of the T-Bird itself, the Gibson EB2013 would be a cracker (£750 though).

Or, a Les Paul bass. I picked up a 2nd hand Epiphone Les Paul Standard at the weekend, and it has the deep thuddy rock sound that is associated with a T-Bird, but in a much easier to play and cart about package. The Epi Les Paul Special would no doubt do this is well (Epi stopped the Standard, and brought out the Special).
[/quote]

This isn't a bad idea, you know. I've seen a few Gibson Les Pauls go through Ebay at some bargain prices lately, too.

If you're mainly after looks rather than sound, check out [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197657-spector-rex-20004-holoflash-thunderbird-and-upgrades/page__p__2166289__hl__holoflash__fromsearch__1#entry2166289"]Cetera's Spector[/url], 'cos that looks gorgeous

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375967180' post='2168013']

[/quote]

+1 to all that

"Proper" Thunderbird tone is all about (1) the pickups, and to a lesser extent (2) the resonant mahogany body.
Best solution - as BigRedX says - is either to mod a cheap but decent T 'bird (so Korean Epi or Tokai, unless you can pick up a cheap Gibbo or Orville) with Mike Lull or Thunderbucker p/ups (they ARE expensive), or do the same with the Fenderbird route which gives you far more customising options and a stronger neck.

Latter is what I did - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180496-the-welsh-fenderbird-mk-2-a-quest-for-perfection/page__p__1736514__hl__welsh%20fenderbird__fromsearch__1#entry1736514"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1736514[/url] - it was conceived purely as a gigging tool (which it is), but in fact tone-wise is simply the loveliest passive bass I've ever played - and I own a '65 T'bird IV, '65 Precision, '58 and '69 EB-2's, early '73 Ric 4001, '77 Travis Bean TB2000, '77 Ovation Magnum 1, '85 Explorer among others. It's all I use now for fretted.

Edited by Shaggy

Or:

http://www.espguitars.co.uk/bass-ltd-phoenix204.html

Ltd Phoenix 204. Like a Thunderbird but shaped a little bit differently. Would be my choice for a 'Bird-type instrument.

Schecter also do the Ultra Bass too, if you like Thunderbirds and Teles and want the looks of both in one.

Edited by ChickenKiev

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1375954797' post='2167773']
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic...

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-thunderbird-classic-iv-usa-pickups-alpine-white/57334"]http://www.gak.co.uk...ine-white/57334[/url]
[/quote]

+9

I have one and i love it more than anything ever ever