Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 v MS60B

Kevin Dean

Have a look at the other B3 and MS60B threads chap - there's a lot to read and they vary in operation, but I can tell you as I own both, the quality is the same in both and they are astounding value for money.

Good question, I have the B3 and the MS60B was just about coming out at the time I bought the B3. I bought the B3 for the fact that it has a DI on it, plus my actual amp-modelling, so should my amp fail, I can DI to PA and still have my sound, rather than a generic bass sound.

Annoyingly, you can use 4 effects at once on the MS60B, whereas on the B3 only 3 at a time.

If the MS60B had a DI-out on it, I`d buy that for the size, and then keep the B3 at home. Zoom would have got double the money from me.

The B3 is a great piece of kit - I use it with my amp chosen for amp-modelling, plus drive & compression, and then plug it into my actual amp set flat, using it roughly like a power-amp. It sounds great. I then DI this to FOH if at bigger venues, no issues so far doing this.

Edited by Lozz196

• 3 months later...

I use an ms60b for quick recording of ideas. Just plug it into the laptop and off we go.

Wouldn't ever gig with it though, everything but the delays and tremolo effect on it is pretty poor quality. The od and fuzz effects in there are horrible and the amp modelling is a joke.

Get a used market bass pod xt or a pod x3 instead if you want something that does it all.

Me I'll stick to analog stompboxes. Pricey but much more satisfying.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1384815694' post='2281200']
I use an ms60b for quick recording of ideas. Just plug it into the laptop and off we go.

Wouldn't ever gig with it though, everything but the delays and tremolo effect on it is pretty poor quality. The od and fuzz effects in there are horrible and the amp modelling is a joke.

Get a used market bass pod xt or a pod x3 instead if you want something that does it all.

Me I'll stick to analog stompboxes. Pricey but much more satisfying.
[/quote]

This could very well be the first negative review of the ms60b i've read!

Each to his own, that's ok. Personally I have both and I would recommend the B3. The foot switching is way more versatile for live use. I like to think I have great tone from my rig and pedals, and these Zooms are welcome additions to my effects, and they both get used a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1374426194' post='2148591']
Have a look at the other B3 and MS60B threads chap - there's a lot to read and they vary in operation, but I can tell you as I own both, the quality is the same in both and they are astounding value for money.
[/quote]

Hi Dood, loved the ms60 review on YouTube.
Do you use both in conjunction with each other? I kinda like the idea of having the effects always available on the b3 as to go stomp box set and perhaps buying the ms60b for the amp sims and comp. Can you assign the patch switching order on the b3 like you can on the ms60b so it cycles through assigned patches?

Thanks in advance :-)

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1387182363' post='2308971']
Hi Dood, loved the ms60 review on YouTube.
Do you use both in conjunction with each other? I kinda like the idea of having the effects always available on the b3 as to go stomp box set and perhaps buying the ms60b for the amp sims and comp. Can you assign the patch switching order on the b3 like you can on the ms60b so it cycles through assigned patches?

Thanks in advance :-)
[/quote]

I do use the two in conjunction yes! How depends on the gig, but sometimes I'll set the MS up with my 'channel switching options' - which as I say I use a bit like a guitarist with a two or three channel amplifier. Then I'll use the B3 for all the other extras I might need.

Pete has answered the next question already. :)

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1384843761' post='2281295']
This could very well be the first negative review of the ms60b i've read!
[/quote]

That is mainly because many bassists don't know any better and really shouldn't be writing reviews.
Zoom multifx pedals are toys hence the low prices on them.

Edited by DiMarco

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1387480043' post='2312552']

That is mainly because many bassists don't know any better and really shouldn't be writing reviews.
[/quote]

Thats a little bit harsh. Admittedly the OD effects aren't that inspiring, but everything else is incredibly good, especially at this price point. The only pedal I've replaced with it that I think was better was the ehx small stone phaser, but I can still get close enough to be happy :)

[/quote]

I can only go with what my ears like, and they are very pleased with the B3. A nice piece of kit, though I`m unlikely to ever use the majority of the effects on it. What I do use it for I`m very happy with.

[/quote]

Patronising post alert. Fella, 'bassists' come in all shapes and sizes, from all walks of life and with a whole lot of varying expectations and requirements. If *you* find the Zoom stuff to be toys, fine, but don't look down your nose at those who do use them, please. Or, at the very least, try to be nice - to say some 'don't know any better' is just plain rude.

I think all effects are toys, aren't they? I mean, we don't [i]really[/i] need them, we could do without. And just because something is cheap shouldn't mean it can't do it's job. There are plenty of very happy B3/MS60B owners here.