Why become a member? ×

Noise disturbance. Does your bass playing effect, neighbours, friends, family? How do you deal with it?

SevenSeas

As soon as I moved into my flat, I spoke to all my neighbours, told them I was a musician and practiced at home, and that if it ever got too loud, just knock on the door and tell me as it wouldn`t offend me, but I didn`t want to be a disturbance to them.

9 years on, no knocks on the door. I don`t practice that loud anyway, not even above regular tv volume. It`s all about courtesy and consideration in my view.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1373801909' post='2141704']
As soon as I moved into my flat, I spoke to all my neighbours, told them I was a musician and practiced at home, and that if it ever got too loud, just knock on the door and tell me as it wouldn`t offend me, but I didn`t want to be a disturbance to them.

9 years on, no knocks on the door. I don`t practice that loud anyway, not even above regular tv volume. It`s all about courtesy and consideration in my view.
[/quote]

This.

I had new neighbours (live in a semi and its the attached house) move in at Easter.
I went around and said I was a bassist and to let me know if the sound is a problem as I'd look at soundproofing.

When I checked a few weeks back they said they only hear me occasionally but it doesn't bother them at all.

However, I don't play on the weekends until after 10am and always finish playing by 8pm in the evenings.

It`s all about courtesy and consideration in my view.
[/quote]
This.
There is nothing worse than having noisy inconsiderate neighbours.
I don't want them & I go out of my way not to be one.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373657027' post='2140353']
Hello bass chat!

Just a little thread about volume and how 'you deal with it'? Let me put this into perspective.

I practice quite a lot however my family really don't agree with it, they say it's too loud and I get nagged constantly all day and night. (well up to 9pm... then I stop)
Then they go on about how If I lived next to a neighbour who wouldn't let you do it (or he'll.... smash you up or your bass or put sh*t through your letter box) what would I do?

They mainly complain about double bass as it's acoustic and obviously theres no volume knob on it... like electric bass.

So is there anyway to keep the noise down or? hmmm more importantly what do you do? And do you get lots of complaints... because it drives me mental... when everyone goes on about how I need to stop practicing etc..

Cheers,
Andy.
[/quote]
Move out.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373660288' post='2140409']
If I was doing this is a hobby I wouldn't be such a problem....
[/quote]
Do you earn your living as a musician? You say you have a full time job so I assume you're not a pro player.

Regardless of how much time & effort you put into your playing or what you expect to achieve from all this practice, if it's not your main or only source of income then like it or not it's just a hobby.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1373808604' post='2141802']

Do you earn your living as a musician? You say you have a full time job so I assume you're not a pro player.

Regardless of how much time & effort you put into your playing or what you expect to achieve from all this practice, if it's not your main or only source of income then like it or not it's just a hobby.
[/quote]
Mr Crankypants.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373813753' post='2141857']
Regarding your hobby comment if I was doing in range of 50 hours or musical practice a week would that count as a hobby?
[/quote]
IMO yes.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373813753' post='2141857']
Also what you're saying is that any musician who has another source of income can't be a pro player? Which is ludicrous.
[/quote]
Why is is ludicrous? Have you never heard of the term "Semi-Professional"?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1373819938' post='2141932']

Why is is ludicrous? Have you never heard of the term "Semi-Professional"?
[/quote]

Blimey Rhys, got out of bed the wrong side this morning?

Cut the kid some slack.... He's working hard and trying to improve himself to become professional.

Nothing wrong with that (apart from the noise pissing his family off which was the reason for the thread being started! :lol: )

It is difficult if you live at home and your family is actively unsupportive. Keep hold of your conservatoire goal and practise quietly. You can always use an amp for volume later while you're building up your callouses for upright playing. My son had a difficult time from his stepdad. Now he's a professional musician and just about earning his living from it. It was all he ever wanted and he kept to his dream. Is there anyone in your family who supports your goal? It always helps to have an ally.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1373792712' post='2141552']
Don't play anywhere near as much guitar or bass in the flat these days as I did, say, five, years back. I had a habit of really letting rip with the guitar and often just played through the 'bang-bang-bang' on the front door. Once, a neighbour came to the door, complaining that he couldn't hear his telly (!!) cos of the volume. I just swicthed off the amp but, f*** it, I thought, here is a neighbour who never takes his share of cleaning the stair or front steps yet here he is at my door! Went down to his and told him of his shortcomings and to never darken my door again over my playing!

Another one came to my door a few months ago during the day when I was (again) on guitar. He said his boss - on the other end of the phone - couldn't hold a discussion cos of the noise. Bascially, I flipped. Can't win with these folk (most of the time they are ok) so I gave up using the guitar amp and just play bass now and again. Sure it'll all kick off again one day.
[/quote]

Sorry, but that's a pretty poor and very selfish attitude IMO.

[/quote]

Spot on!

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1373659064' post='2140395']
play an electric into a mixer + headphones
[/quote]

The solution!

.... spoke to all my neighbours, told them I was a musician and practiced at home, and that if it ever got too loud, just knock on the door and tell me as it wouldn`t offend me, but I didn`t want to be a disturbance to them.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1373807569' post='2141786']
There is nothing worse than having noisy inconsiderate neighbours.
I don't want them & I go out of my way not to be one.
[/quote]

Or mass murderers or psychopaths , but still true

Some options:
-An electric upright so you can play using headphones
-Moving out to a place that fits your needs
-finding a rehearsal space, garage or shack in the neighbourhood to practice at.

Sorry to hear your family is unsupportive of your dreams. Good luck working with them towards a solution!

Wow, I have a three piece rockabilly band that practices in my house most Tuesdays. We amp the guitar through a tiny Fender 5w Champion valve amp and the drummer bangs his sticks on the guitar case. No mics and I just use my upright as is.

My view is that the houses either side have noisy kids that have woken me up before so for 3 out of every 4 weeks for one night we can make some noise for about 3hrs always stopping around 9.30 - 10pm. Nobody has ever come around. I'm so quiet the rest of the time, I'm rarely in, I never complain, I cut the neighbours front lawns and lend them hedge cutters. I keep myself to myself and generally act like a typical serial killer. 3hrs of noise isn't going to kill them...or is it?! :D

Originally a drummer, so at my last house, I didn't want to upset anyone and I went to a farmhouse in the country where they sold eggs and got the woman there to order me a load of egg cartons.
Stuck them on the ceiling , walls and door in the small bedroom, put a few old carpets on the floor and it dampens the sound down pretty good. :happy:

Noisy and inconsiderate neighbours should be taken out and shot. It's the worst kind of selfishness. You want an all night party? Go out to a bar or club FFS!
I can appreciate the OP wants to practice, and there should be some give and take with good neighbours. I love bass but I wouldn't want to hear someone else playing bass through a wall (good or bad) for 3 hours a day when I'd just got home from work!