Why become a member? ×

Brands that don't seem to mix

charic

I had an interesting thought this morning. Are there bass guitar brands that don't seem to mix? The one that sprang to my mind was Musicman and Warwick. I don't think I've seen anyones collection owning both of these brands?

Got any others?

Of the major or more well known brands, this will be tricky. BC Rich may be a good starting point. Actually, does anyone have a Streamer AND a Spector? With all the accusations of one copying the other, the 'rivalry' could mean that people are in one camp or the other.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373619444' post='2139654']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/111721-black-basses/page__view__findpost__p__2138484"]Posted just the other day (192)[/url]
[/quote]

Hmm interesting.. I was thinking specifically stingray and warwicks 'major' lines though when I thought it up :lol: well played sir

Nope, i have a friend who ownes several W and a couple of MM so i don't think they would missmatch. I think a Streamer Stage II and a Stingray would be in different tonal fields so they could complement each other well, i woudn't say the same for a Thumb and a Stingray though.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1373617473' post='2139619']
I had an interesting thought this morning. Are there bass guitar brands that don't seem to mix? The one that sprang to my mind was Musicman and Warwick. I don't think I've seen anyones collection owning both of these brands?

Got any others?
[/quote]
My two beauties. :-)
[IMG]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/me_and_the_bastards/DSC_0242.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by clashcityrocker

I'm not sure why anyone would want a collection of basses that all sound pretty much the same.

The best way for me to get a classic Fender sound is with an unmodified Fender. Then I've got Status Graphite, long scale, active 5 string monsters that cover pretty much all the modern sounds I could ever want.

Very different instruments, but that's the point.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1373707472' post='2140732']
I'm not sure why anyone would want a collection of basses that all sound pretty much the same.

The best way for me to get a classic Fender sound is with an unmodified Fender. Then I've got Status Graphite, long scale, active 5 string monsters that cover pretty much all the modern sounds I could ever want.

Very different instruments, but that's the point.
[/quote]

Same as you Rich. All my basses are different ;)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373621813' post='2139697']
Of the major or more well known brands, this will be tricky. BC Rich may be a good starting point. Actually, does anyone have a Streamer AND a Spector? With all the accusations of one copying the other, the 'rivalry' could mean that people are in one camp or the other.
[/quote]

Eh?

[url="http://s169.photobucket.com/user/share6_album/media/DSC00153.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1373828539' post='2142036']

Eh?

[/quote]

Nice collection. My point was that BC Rich are a very distinctive brand with a very strong identity and associations, so are more likely to successfully feature in a "brands that don't seem to mix" pairing. The Spector/Streamer thing was a separate suggestion.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373832789' post='2142116']
Nice collection. My point was that BC Rich are a very distinctive brand with a very strong identity and associations, so are more likely to successfully feature in a "brands that don't seem to mix" pairing. The Spector/Streamer thing was a separate suggestion.
[/quote]

Whilst I agree with you in point, there are always exceptions to every rule

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/190968/media/Picture011a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/190968/Picture011a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The bass to the very right of the picture is a 1996 USA Handmade B.C.Rich Innovator bass, and if it didn't have B.C.Rich written on the headstock, a lot of people wouldn't think it was one.

BTW I used to play a Bich 8 string in a Jazz band MANY years ago LOL

I have 2 x Thumbs (one 5 string and one de-fretted four) and 2 x Stingrays (one five and one four) - usually swap between the two fivers depending on the band I work with - although the Thumb NT5 is THE one I go to usually - I like my Ray 5 though.
totally different sounds from each.
I also have a Fender Jazz 5 deluxe and a 64 P bass - but the build quality on the Ray is far superior to the Jazz.

I find I play differently on different basses too - esp the move from Warwick to Ray scale length.