Why become a member? ×

Guilty as charged.

julietgreen

As a musician, I'm not much of a musician. Here's my confession: as a sax player, I know I should learn the music by heart and not rely on the 'dots' but that only works for me if I've never seen the dots. Once I've seen them, I find it almost impossible to remember without looking. As a bass player, I can remember, but I learn the parts without much thought for the theory, in spite of that DipMus from the OU. I should know what to play because I should be able to hear what those guitarists are doing and I should be learning to improvise by committing scales to memory and spending serious time working out lines through the chords. And as for looking at TAB - Everyone knows that's a sin! I hang my head in shame (and because it looks better).

There are no shoulds or shouldn'ts in life. That's just other people trying to dictate. Do it the way you are happy with.

Of course you should also take some of the cream Sam talks about and that way you shouldn't get any worse. B)[size=4] [/size]

My Child, repentance is nigh. Please say 10 "On The One...HUH!", 25 "yowsa yowsa yowsa" and cite the Prayer for Bass Players:

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"The drummer is my lord and I shall not rush.
He maketh me lay out in tasteful places
He leadeth me beside [/font][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cool meter changes[/font]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He restoreth my "one".
Yeah man, though I read [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]through the trickiest of charts,
I will fear no train wrecks. For he is down on it.
His hihat and snare, both comfort me
They setteth up a solo for me In the presence of guitarists.
You bestoweth my licks with Big Nasty.
My groove overfloweth.
Surely good feel and funk will flow [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]through all the tunes of each set.
And I will dwell in the pocket
Forever.
Amen."[/font][/size]

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1373215636' post='2134820']
My Child, repentance is nigh. Please say 10 "On The One...HUH!", 25 "yowsa yowsa yowsa" and cite the Prayer for Bass Players:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"The drummer is my lord and I shall not rush.
He leadeth me beside [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cool meter changes[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He restoreth my "one".
Yeah man, though I read [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]through the trickiest of charts,
My groove overfloweth.
Surely good feel and funk will flow [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]through all the tunes of each set.
Forever.
Amen."[/font]
[/quote]
As soon as I get ink for my printer that'll be framed and on the wall!

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"The drummer is my lord and I shall not rush.
He leadeth me beside [/font][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cool meter changes[/font]
My groove overfloweth.
Forever.
Amen."[/font][/size]
[/quote]
Out. Standing.

My groove overfloweth.
Forever.
Amen."[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Can I shoot our drummer and nick yours? :ph34r: (actually he's brill but he would admit to adrenaline occasionally getting the better of him).

Edited by karlfer

I'm sure Bilbo is distracted otherwise the reading lobby would be in effect.
I once had a tutor who theorised that the brains visual memory was much more powerful than the audio equivalent and so reading helped transfer all that data to a larger RAM pocket in the brain.
Good theory, I always seem to remember some thing more if I write it down, even if I then throw the note away.
Personally, I hated reading lessons and felt that for every semi Demi quaver I learned to recognise, a little bit of my musical soul died.
This may not of course,be the case with you,and reading is a massive tool.
But the point is, learn to trust your EARS.
Carry on.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1373240585' post='2135278']
I'm sure Bilbo is distracted otherwise the reading lobby would be in effect.
I once had a tutor who theorised that the brains visual memory was much more powerful than the audio equivalent and so reading helped transfer all that data to a larger RAM pocket in the brain.
Good theory, I always seem to remember some thing more if I write it down, even if I then throw the note away.
Personally, I hated reading lessons and felt that for every semi Demi quaver I learned to recognise, a little bit of my musical soul died.
This may not of course,be the case with you,and reading is a massive tool.
But the point is, learn to trust your EARS.
Carry on.
[/quote]

I can confirm that your tutors theory is currently received wisdom in the world of psychology . That is why formal education in almost all disciplines still relies primarily on reading books rather than film and audio . All significant research in the last thirty years or so that I am aware of has fairly consistantly come to the conclusion that there is an element of active participation in reading that engages both the memory and intellect to a far more significant degree than listening or watching . You only need to look at the long - term development of children who are read regulaly to as infants and who subsequently learn to read early compared to those who don't to begin to see the ramifications of that . By implication , musical training could be similaly beneficial .

Edited by Dingus

When I was a growing lad I played the violin up to a pretty decent standard. This inevitably meant reading music, theory memorising complex pieces etc.

Now that I play my bass 95% of the time what I find weird is that whilst I can still read treble clef (G) notation easily, I really struggle with reading notation written in the bass clef (F). I have no idea why this is. Maybe I should have studied the piano instead.

Edited by ead

As a boy I learned piano and trumpet to a reasonable level along with which came theory exams.

Taught myself guitar by playing along to records - starting with Electric Warrior - and the Beatles songbook.

The theory is pretty much gone, but I still prefer to write the gist as dots for deps rather than the dreaded TAB, which I find more difficult to read than dots anyway!

Was complimented for leaving space, but that may have been more to do with lots to learn and not enough time :D

I'm playing bass in West Side Story this week and having a nightmare with the score. When I did WSS 10 years ago, I couldn't read music other than key signatures. So I listened to recordings, went to every rehearsal and virtually memorised the show. I was complimented on my playing.
In the interim, I've taught myself to read a bass line reasonably well though not good enough to sight read yet. This time round I find myself trying to play all the dots and losing my place when I stutter over a line or phrase. I am not enjoying it as much.
It's not helped by the director/producer putting the band in the scene dock instead of the pit and we haven't got decent vocal foldback let alone a video link so we often have no idea what is going on.
The optimist in me says it will be alright on the night but the musician is wishing I could remember everything I did 10 years ago.

Myk

:D

There's something about the processing of notes which for me doesn't seem to pass the memory part of the brain. Straight to fingers - rather like touch typing - or not remembering directions when someone else always leads the way. Although it's exciting to get a new piece of music all written out and be able to play it straight away, I now find it something of a nuisance and would probably trade for a really good memory and a great 'ear'. I hate having a music stand on stage and it's not appropriate for the bands I'm in. I'm relieved that the processing of basslines is different - maybe because it is more visual - and I don't have to have any crib sheets. But I can't join in and busk along with stuff I don't know.