Why become a member? ×

12" cabs...

bassjamm

Hi all,

Right, following on from my other thread on Bergantino Cabs, i thought i'd get a general thought on 1x12's and 2x12 cabs.

I've got a Dr Bass RX1260, which i think is awesome, along with an RX210, but i need to upgrade them and would like to stick with 12's, and if possible, a single cab solution!

Here's what i'm considering:

Ampeg 112's...has anyone used these, will they take my SVT battering them, would a single one be enough for small gigs?
Dr Bass 2460...great cab for the money
Bergantino IP212/112...just learning about these
Epifani UL212...saw Matt Garrison last night, his sounded pretty awesome, so any thoughts?

Plus any others you'd suggest. I've played the Aguilar 1x12's, they're great little cabs, but just not really what i'm after at the moment.

Anyway, apart from that, it'd just be interesting to see what you all think about the different 12" cab solutions that are out there really.

Thanks
Jamie

BFLD OmniTop 12

I bought the detailed plans from Bill. Very comprehensive and easy to follow. You can order them from Bill here - [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/Ordering.html"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/Ordering.html[/url]

For a vintage tone I'm temped to build without the tweeters. Now just gotta decide whether to build a 2x12 or two 1x12's.

Hamster

Edit: David L Perry did an A/B with a few 12" cabs not so long ago - [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5322&highlight=aguilar"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...ghlight=aguilar[/url]

Edited by Hamster

The EA cxl112 is a great cab - very revealing, and a bit of a shock when you first try it. Much more midrange than you normally get out of a bass cab, and that translates in a band situation to hearing everything you play. Bit like a DI experience - you either love it or hate it. A couple of times I've had sound engineers take a good look at it, as they've been very impressed with the way it projects sound.

They are pricey new, but come up secondhand for around £350 - 400?

BB

[quote]That looks a bit quirky...not sure i'd get taken seriously using one of those on my gigs!!![/quote]

That's why I'm looking forward to finishing my BFM cabs - Aparently you can expect weird looks when you first wheel them out, then amazed looks when they hear the tone + volume.

Epifani UL112

Epifani T112NYC

I run these as a pair. The T112 is very deep, almost like a 15 whereas the UL112 is a lot brighter. Very loud and punchy combination.

I hear very good reports of the Genz Benz NEOX 212. Apparently very good and very light.

Thanks for the replies guys...

[quote name='obbm' post='214953' date='Jun 8 2008, 04:14 PM']Epifani UL112

Epifani T112NYC

I run these as a pair. The T112 is very deep, almost like a 15 whereas the UL112 is a lot brighter. Very loud and punchy combination.

I hear very good reports of the Genz Benz NEOX 212. Apparently very good and very light.[/quote]

Is the T112 a discontinued cab then? I can't find much info on it!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214941' date='Jun 8 2008, 03:58 PM']That looks a bit quirky...not sure i'd get taken seriously using one of those on my gigs!!![/quote]

Well, you can always put a grill on - this is an Omni 2x10 (courtesy of DLP)

I use a Hartke PRO 2200 cab. 4 Ohms, 300 Watts handling, 2x12". I think it sounds great with plenty of low-end and very responsive (it's quite a large, ported enclosure). I think it has the best of both worlds (10" speakers vs. 15" speakers).

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214941' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:58 AM']That looks a bit quirky...not sure i'd get taken seriously using one of those on my gigs!!![/quote]Confucius say if being taken seriously depend on how gear look rather than how it sound consider changing occupation from musician to painter. :)

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

I can definitely recommend the Genz Benz Neox212T..... a GREAT 2x12 cab, 600w @ 4ohms, tweeter and ports, lightweight, handles and wheels...... full range sound with no shortage of low end, punchy mids or sparkling highs! :)

By default I would therefore also recommend the Neox112T (the 1x12 version) :huh:

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='215731' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:18 PM']I use a Schroeder 1210R and I know there are a few Shroeder users on BC. Maybe you could add them them to you research list?

[url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/home.htm"]Shroeder website[/url][/quote]

Ive just got rid of a UL212. Its was a really nice sounding cab. very full sounding in the right venue but i felt it lacked something my 1210R has.

I've replaced it with a 1212L and although ive not gigged the 1212L yet (first time out this Sat) i played them side by side at work using my SA450 and found that although the 1212L doesnt go as low it will kick through the mix better (as do all the Schroeder cabs).
without changing any settings on the amp the 1212L sounded a bit louder, due i guess to the mid bump, but because it doesnt have the extra low freq the UL212 does it seemed to produce a stronger, punchier sound.
I found the very low end of the UL212 could sound a bit slow and woolly on certain stages (of course) where as my 1210R doesn't seem to mind what its put on so im hoping the 1212L with be the same.

IME of course.

Well, I'm generally not keen on recommending gear because it's all so subjective.

But I also use a Schroeder 1212L and for me, it's an excellent gigging cab for all venues that I play which is the usual pubs, clubs and hotels and one outdoor gig.

Not everyone likes the tone but I have to say that I love it. It's a pleasure to be able to hear yourself and the tone cuts through the mix like nothing else that I have used.

You can also hear all your mistakes exceptionally well which is a mixed blessing......

As always, best to try before you buy IMO.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='216111' date='Jun 10 2008, 01:02 PM']Well, I'm generally not keen on recommending gear because it's all so subjective.

But I also use a Schroeder 1212L and for me, it's an excellent gigging cab for all venues that I play which is the usual pubs, clubs and hotels and one outdoor gig.

Not everyone likes the tone but I have to say that I love it. It's a pleasure to be able to hear yourself and the tone cuts through the mix like nothing else that I have used.

You can also hear all your mistakes exceptionally well which is a mixed blessing......

As always, best to try before you buy IMO.

Frank[/quote]

yeah, every now and again im standing on stage thinking that my tone is giving me a headache as its so loud and middy but then i remember how well its sitting in the mix out front.
The first time i used my 1210R i thought it was ok but nothing special. I turned it down and it sounded much better, not nicer, just better for my ears. I then walked out front and was amazed at how much low end was there. i certainly couldn't hear it on stage but then again i was only a couple of feet from the cab.
In fact as i got about 20feet form the stage (using a 30ft lead) it sounded just perfect. the lows just seem to bloom (or maybe its the mids getting softer) as you get further away from the stage.

sorry for going on. These cabs need to be heard to get what they are all about. I do agree though they arent to everyone's taste.
Really looking forward to getting the 1212L broken in and seeing what it can do.

I have a Euphonic CXl 1x12 which is a nice little live gigging cab (in my opinion anyway!). Will probably sell it soon though as I've just picked up a couple of EBS cabs. One of these is a 2x12 and it's really punchy with a deep tone but a crisp top end as well.

Haven't been able to gig with it yet but have a feeling it might be a really good standalone 12" option. I've tried it back to back with the EBS 2x10 and the 12 is way deeper in tone that the 10.

If you're anywhere near me then you're welcome to try any of them - I'm in Henley by the way.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214941' date='Jun 8 2008, 03:58 PM']That looks a bit quirky...not sure i'd get taken seriously using one of those on my gigs!!![/quote]

I finished my Omni10 (which has the tweeters to the side rather than in the horn) in black paint. Bill likes his grey (gray?) carpet but it's not my thing.

They sound serious.

[attachment=9497:Cab11.jpg]

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214916' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:53 PM']Hi all,

Right, following on from my other thread on Bergantino Cabs, i thought i'd get a general thought on 1x12's and 2x12 cabs.

I've got a Dr Bass RX1260, which i think is awesome, along with an RX210, but i need to upgrade them and would like to stick with 12's, and if possible, a single cab solution!

Here's what i'm considering:

Ampeg 112's...has anyone used these, will they take my SVT battering them, would a single one be enough for small gigs?
Dr Bass 2460...great cab for the money
Bergantino IP212/112...just learning about these
Epifani UL212...saw Matt Garrison last night, his sounded pretty awesome, so any thoughts?

Plus any others you'd suggest. I've played the Aguilar 1x12's, they're great little cabs, but just not really what i'm after at the moment.

Anyway, apart from that, it'd just be interesting to see what you all think about the different 12" cab solutions that are out there really.

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

Re the Bergantino IP cabs- U DO realise these are active(powered) cabs! & therefore only require a preamp to run...
IMO/IME Hard to go past ANY Bergantino cabs!!! HT212 is a good one! ( If I got the model No. correct.) As are the new lightweight -NEO- "AE" berg series!