Why become a member? ×

Massively confused, can you guys help?

Evil Undead

I am currently bandless, but looking. In the mean time, I thought I might hit up a few jams and open mics for a bit of a laugh, some experience, and to meet some other people who enjoy playing music, maybe make some contacts.

As I don't have a car, and am thinking about doing my CBT and getting a 125, I'm considering going ampless. Bass on back, no cabs, bliss :D

So I guess I need a DI box. But which one? Active, passive, what? I've been reading stuff, watching YouTube videos, and I don't think I'm any less confused.

What do I need for just plugging into the PA, using an active 4 string bass with a 9V preamp? If I can use it as a headphone amp, and also has an aux in for MP3, even better!

Please let me have your thoughts, and be as simple as possible, I'm stupid.

Any band-type jam nights I've been to, bass amp's already waiting on stage. For acoustic-y type gigs circa £30 gets you a [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BDI21.aspx"]Behringer BDI21[/url] amp modeller / DI.

It would do, I'd imagine. No headphone out / mp3 in (afaik), but [i]does[/i] have an XLR out to desk.

Edited by skankdelvar

If you have a car licence but no car you could get a trike would not cost tons more than a scooter/small bike also carrying a bass etc etc on a scooter can be classed as a hazardous load by some insurance companys I know this sounds pathetic but this happened to my mate was carrying his snooker cue sling style on his back he and to cut a long story short he had a bump and got no payout as he was deemed to have an unsecured loan.So might be worth thinking about this if you have an expensive bass. As for the DI box etc sorry I dont know. Good luck with this :)

Dave Hall does a great valve pedal that does everything you want - mp3 input, headphones out, DI. The headphone out is too noisy to be used on mine, though.

Otherwise, I would look into a Line 6 POD which (if it has an mp3 input...I'm not sure) seems to tick all your boxes. I use a rack one in my home studio and love it. There is a rather large thread about them on here at the mo.

Well I when I go samples I use my amp head.
Built in DI and headphone amp, fits in my gig bag. Easy job done.

There are a few different things, active or passive, some with Eq options etc, you have to find what is right for you. But make sure the venues PA is happy with the bass going through it too.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1373045866' post='2133229']
If you have a car licence but no car you could get a trike would not cost tons more than a scooter/small bike also carrying a bass etc etc on a scooter can be classed as a hazardous load by some insurance companys I know this sounds pathetic but this happened to my mate was carrying his snooker cue sling style on his back he and to cut a long story short he had a bump and got no payout as he was deemed to have an unsecured loan.So might be worth thinking about this if you have an expensive bass. As for the DI box etc sorry I dont know. Good luck with this :)
[/quote]

Oh, really? Yikes. A trike sounds fun though haha! Definitely worth looking into.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1373045903' post='2133230']
Dave Hall does a great valve pedal that does everything you want - mp3 input, headphones out, DI. The headphone out is too noisy to be used on mine, though.

Otherwise, I would look into a Line 6 POD which (if it has an mp3 input...I'm not sure) seems to tick all your boxes. I use a rack one in my home studio and love it. There is a rather large thread about them on here at the mo.
[/quote]

Headphone out isn't vital, as I do have my ashdown after eight for that. Never heard of dave hall, I'll look it up. Thanks

Line 6 pod could be worth looking in to. Do you happen to have a link to the thread, might be an interesting read?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1373045866' post='2133229']
[/quote]
A trike would not cost tons more than a scooter or small bike? Really?

I've ridden motorbikes for over 40 years and wouldn't even consider carrying a bass on a solo bike.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1373046058' post='2133232']
But make sure the venues PA is happy with the bass going through it too.
[/quote]

+1

It perhaps varies up and down the country, but I go to a lot of these round here in the East Mids.
There is no backline provided for bass and the PA system is really only designed for light vocal use and often without monitors.

Phone before turning up or you might find yourself scuppered. :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1373046337' post='2133238']
Headphone out isn't vital, as I do have my ashdown after eight for that. Never heard of dave hall, I'll look it up. Thanks

Line 6 pod could be worth looking in to. Do you happen to have a link to the thread, might be an interesting read?
[/quote]

Thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211602-whats-the-real-reason-you-want-amps-cabs-on-stage-rather-than-a-podsansamp-etc/

There is a bunch of stuff about the PODs, though, on the interwebs. I personally really rate them for home studio and practice stuff. For example, I take my Dave Hall to band practice (in my drummer's studio) as it is small. If the POD I have were a POD rather than a rack version, I would take that instead.

They can be had for not all that much moolah too, to boot!

The Zoom B3 I use has many different amp models on there, including the same amp I use - a Markbass Little Mark 2 - so I can actually get "my" sound from it. In fact, I now set my amp flat and all the eq comes from the B3. It also has many different effects on it as well, so a really good little box. So long as there`s a PA, you can have a "proper" amp sound.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373046849' post='2133252']
A trike would not cost tons more than a scooter or small bike? Really?

I've ridden motorbikes for over 40 years and wouldn't even consider carrying a bass on a solo bike.
[/quote] Thinking about it yeah I guess a trike would cost a bit more, and I could not agree with you more carrying a bass on a solo bike I think its a big no no :)

If you like the pure sound of the bass you just need a good quality cable, but if you want something for balanced DI'ing, EQ/limiting etc the Phil Jones bass buddy preamp is great - you can even use is as a practice amp head.

I do predominately open mic nights around Bristol and I just plug right into the PA all the time whether I'm using my active or passive bass. Charic's right about there being no monitors though, it gets a bit hairy when I can either not hear myself or only hear my bass booming around the place.

I`m an experianced biker and the thought of going down the road with a bass strapped to my back is a rather large no no. Riding a 125 when you have just passed your CBT (and assuming you have little or no experiance riding a bike) is scary enough without the bass being on your back.

Please trust me on this.

Much better to get a small car and do your car test if you don`t already have it.

(Sorry if I`m wrong about your riding experiance).

But regarding a DI box, for £35 ish, the BD 121 can`t be beat and I never gig or rehearse without it being in the bag just in case,.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1373061780' post='2133458']
Ok, it's a no to the bike :) I just thought it would be easier, cheaper, etc.

I do have a car license, but cars are a pain in the arse haha!
[/quote]

As with all things in life, compromise... :mellow:

[attachment=138416:3_Whee_Van.jpg]

[quote]I`m an experianced biker and the thought of going down the road with a bass strapped to my back is a rather large no no. Riding a 125 when you have just passed your CBT (and assuming you have little or no experiance riding a bike) is scary enough without the bass being on your back.

Please trust me on this.

Much better to get a small car and do your car test if you don`t already have it.[/quote]

I carried my bass on my back a few times on my motorbike (vfr800) in a rucksack gig bag - bad idea :) aside from the seat pushing the bass higher than normal the wind resistance was outrageous. Please don't do it ;)

Have you looked at zip car or something like that?

Edited by bob_pickard