Why become a member? ×

Lyrics - Are they important to you?

xilddx

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372689980' post='2128608']
because when you hear sh*t lyrics, you are immediately turned off a song
[/quote]

this

i always take delight in reminding our singist that despite the songs being very catchy, rihanna will probably not be winning any ivor novello awards anytime in the next century or two :lol:

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372689980' post='2128608']
I think Ive realised that, I dont notice lyrics that much , but they are quite important , because when you hear sh*t lyrics, you are immediately turned off a song. I mean most pop sh*te, has meaningless lyrics that are there just to rhyme , where as Neil Pearts lyrics are always telling a story, so I suppose , yes, they are important to me, just not the most important at first listen ;)
[/quote]

Pop lyrics are usually pretty clever, they have to be or no-one will buy the record. Single Ladies, Aga Doo, Who let the dogs out, etc. Designed fo effect. Neil's lyrics telling a story? Well I guess so, but are they good stories? Some are, some aren't, Nobody's Hero is risible, just like By Tor, Subdivisions is decent, but most of them are not on my top lyric list by any means, and Rush are pretty much my favourite band.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372690073' post='2128614']
Ah, see now you have got me thinking...[/quote]

Now, now, careful with that..! We don't want any of this 'ere 'thinking' nonsense 'ere on BC..! Whatever next..? :D

I am not that bothered by lyrics as a rule, but Thin Lizzy lyrics do bother me although I like the songs.
Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in this town
Whenever I hear this lyric, I automatically think of how many jails there are in a town, as usually it is one. Boys are Back in Town is also a song that gets me for some reason. Perfectly good songs, but lyrically, I don`t think they are good

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372690609' post='2128622']

Sorry mate, I totally forgot about the lyrical giants that were " single ladies" and "aga doo". How could I have been so minded, absent thought? :blink:
[/quote]
You have not understood my post.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372690946' post='2128634']
I am not that bothered by lyrics as a rule, but Thin Lizzy lyrics do bother me although I like the songs.
Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in this town
Whenever I hear this lyric, I automatically think of how many jails there are in a town, as usually it is one. Boys are Back in Town is also a song that gets me for some reason. Perfectly good songs, but lyrically, I don`t think they are good
[/quote]

Ahhh Thin Lizzy - should be one of my favourite bands but some of the lyrics ruin it totally , 2 examples I can think of ,The Rocker , awful espcially the way he pronounces "cycle" sounds like sickle and Black Rose which contains one of the worst puns ever "Ah sure, Brendan where have you been?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372691421' post='2128647']
I realise now you were using those as examples of lyrical dross but you've now spoilt my sarcastic reply ;)
I still stand by my original thought that most pop lyrics are rotten and a mix of ooh baby, I love you, are you gonna get with me tonight? etc. You know what I mean. obviously , there will be a couple of exemptions, but c'mon, realistically
[/quote]
I like Single Ladies, I think it's a very clever bumper sticker lyric. You're not going to tell me Elvis Costello's lyrics are pop pap are you? I think you believe pop to be something it isn't, and likewise maybe you believe rock and prog are paragons of lyrical excellence when in fact so much of it is pretty poor fanciful gibberish, however cleverly constructed it might be.

most punters enjoy a good sing a long when they've had a few drinks, so I guess lyrics are important in that respect, even if its just la la la lala la for about 5 minutes, can't stand Hey Jude myself, we do do 500 miles though Fa Da Da Da, nice and simple, it's got to be when there's pissed up backing vocals involved

Not so important for me.
[size=4]Tune,[/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] Harmony and Rhythm seems to hit the spot for me.[/size][/font][/color]

However punters are lost with out them.....
Can you play "Giant Steps"... you know...that Sting song.
Or " Go on now go"......
And the most bizarre one I ever heard asked for [at a wedding].....'cause it took so long to bake it. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Garry[/size]

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1372692187' post='2128661']
we do do 500 miles though Fa Da Da Da
[/quote]
Sounds like a good line!
I try to use lyrics as a vehicle to get people thinking about a certain subject that's been bothering me. Not that anyone ever listens. Or deciphers my screaming jibberjabber.

Can make a huge difference. How many classic hits in many genres would have been as successful if they had been released as instrumentals? Very few I'd wager. I think as humans we are on the whole wired in to respond to human voices and personally althought I like some instrumental music I much prefer there to be an accompanying vocal.
This isn't really answering the OP which specifically mentioned [i]lyrics. [/i]This actually got me thinking as there are some bands songs (such as Yes) where the lyrics are often fairly abstract and not obviously meaningful as prose at all, yet I wouldn't like the whole package as much if they either were not present at all or if they were different. They don't have to be ultra smart or deep. Example (from what I once heard) when Macca on Hey Jude put in 'The movement you need is on your shoulder' as a temporary fill to scan with the rest of what he'd done to demo it to John. John insisted he keep it in saying 'That's the best bit'.
In short the right lyric for the right song can make it something special. A bad lyric can turn an otherwise decent tune into something utterly risible. Of course what makes a 'good' lyric is extremely subjective.

Edited by KevB

It depends. Sometimes I focus on the lyrics and sometimes the music hits me harder. Been listening to lots of Johnny Cash recently; this one's a good'un. Long Black Veil:

Ten years ago on a cold dark night
Someone was killed 'neath the town hall lights
There were few at the scene, but they all agreed
That the slayer who ran, looked a lot like me

Now she walks these hills, in a long black veil
She visits my grave, when the night winds wail
Nobody knows, nobody sees
Nobody knows, but me

The scaffold is high, and eternity's near
She stood in the crowd, and shed not a tear
But some times at night, when the cold wind moans
In a long black veil, she cries over my bones

Nobody knows, but me

The judge said son, what is your alibi
If you were somewhere else, then you won't have to die
I spoke not a word, though it meant my life
I'd been in the arms of my best friends wife

Truckstop

Ultimately songs where the lyrics are good aswell as the music are the better ones. They defintely form part of the package! Good lyrics doesn't mean they have to make sense necessarily though, imo, examples:

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden; maybe I'm missing something but wtf is he on about? Love the track though and sing along to it. Some of their other stuff is a bit out there too.
Mr Bungle - most of their stuff tbh but I really like it.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1372696351' post='2128734']
It depends. Sometimes I focus on the lyrics and sometimes the music hits me harder. Been listening to lots of Johnny Cash recently; this one's a good'un. Long Black Veil:

Nobody knows, but me

Nobody knows, but me

Truckstop
[/quote]

I can imagine Dizzee doing that one!

I prefer songs with words to instrumentals but I don't usually notice (or listen to) what the words are. I find the presence of sung words is important but on more than one occasion a song has been spoiled for me when I've become aware of what the words are. So songs with meaningless words are good in my book - no chance of being disappointed if I accidentally find out what's being said!

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1372696275' post='2128733']
Vocals and lyrics are two different things though. Can an instrumental song have vocals as long as no words are used?
[/quote]

I would forward Magma as a prime example of how this can, not only be done, but be done brilliantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61cIieQOdac

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1372696351' post='2128734']

Nobody knows, but me

Nobody knows, but me

Truckstop
[/quote]
not heard JCs version , but check the Lefty Frizell original,... and heres me saying lyrics dont matter..

Makes a huge difference to some songs. It can certainly make a song, so I am guessing that there must be lyrics out there that can break a song. As people say, most lyrics aren't great, some are just funny (Mr Crowley?), some just really don't fit (anything by pearl jam).
Prison Sex by Tool would certainly be a different song without its lyrics.

I think that I’m more interested in the music, but a good lyric is a definite plus! Depends a fair bit on the artist – you tend to be more bothered about the lyric to a Steely Dan song, whereas it doesn’t seem to be so important when you’re listening to Deep Purple!

Sometimes a great line will make a song, even if the rest of the lyric is unremarkable. The same could be said about the arrangement, where a guitar phrase or even a single hit on the snare drum in just the right place sticks in the memory…