Why become a member? ×

I think Basschat has a limited future :(

xilddx

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1372336484' post='2124444']...chilled civilized & Dad doesn't fart too much over there.....i think it's the fresh air...[/quote]

Depends more on where you're sitting and the wind direction... :blush:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1372337123' post='2124466']
Depends more on where you're sitting and the wind direction... :blush:
[/quote]
Yeh being down wind from you when your picking up something heavy is always a risky business.....last time I couldn't eat my corned beef sandwich afterwards......just didn't fancy it :mellow:

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1372336247' post='2124438']
You're right. People do visit forums for different reasons, but many people don't lurk in the recording forum too often so wouldn't know of the composition competition and [b][i]this thread is simply letting people know it's there, should they want to check it out. If not, simply move on.[/i][/b]
[/quote]
It's not though is it? Clarkys first post in particular is belittling people for talking about bass stuff on a bass forum which seems a bit daft & counterproductive to me.

I come on this forum because I play a bit of bass; I don't have any interest in making my own recordings at home & even though I do occasionally write stuff I do that for my own amusement. I have no desire whatsoever for anybody else hear what I do.

I occasionally listen to stuff that people post but 95% of the time it's just not music that appeals to me. What I see happening on the recording forum is just a lot of backslapping; it's little more than a mutual appreciation society IMO.

On the odd occasion somebody does say something less than positive they are invariably greeted with a sneery "well let's hear some of your stuff" response, as if the only way you can possibly have an opinion about anything posted is if you write & record stuff yourself.

There are people on the forum who obviously love writing, recording, collaborating & sharing their stuff with people who are interested, and that's great.

To start having a go at the members who aren't interested & are happy just to play a bit of bass & talk about their gear, favourite players etc. seems a little unfair to me and is an attitude unlikely to attract many "casual observers" into the recording section IMO.

I agree. Recording comp is a good thing, and kudos to those who take part, but trying to guilt-trip members into paying attention to it is silly and counter-productive, as is the title of this thread imo. (I have voted on this month's BTW).

Edited by Earbrass

Bleeding Ada. I was just trying to get people to listen to other members' music and vote for their favourites. Not coerce people into recording their own. This thread was meant to be lighthearted but maybe I didn't make that clear enough. So if you're not interested in other members' music, f*** it, it doesn't matter.

I thought it was clear that the title of the thread was meant tongue-in-cheek as a way of catching people's attention. Like Douglas' "Naked female bassist" thread. It's worked as there's a lot of buzz around the composition challenge this month, which is great.

Of course, each to their own in terms of why we all frequent this forum. I get bored rigid just talking about gear and am much more interested in hearing people's music, but that's me.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372338512' post='2124491']What I see happening on the recording forum is just a lot of backslapping; it's little more than a mutual appreciation society IMO. On the odd occasion somebody does say something less than positive they are invariably greeted with a sneery "well let's hear some of your stuff" response, as if the only way you can possibly have an opinion about anything posted is if you write & record stuff yourself.[/quote]

I don't get that comment, however. I've been active in the Recording forum for a few years now and I've never yet come across anyone having a sneering attitude towards criticism of their music. Is there a specific example of this that you have in mind, Rhys? I'm just curious, 'cos it sounds very out of character for what I find to be a very friendly and supportive environment for sharing new music. Much more so than other music forums.

Yes, we slap each other on the back - but we also offer lots of constructive ideas for how to improve. I've personally been quite blunt about people's music in the past and nobody has yet turned round and bitten me because of it. But maybe you've had a different experience that I'm unaware of.

Anyway, it's safe to say that Nige and Clarky weren't intending to rattle anyone here. The point they're making - and which I wholeheartedly agree with - is that we're a community of musicians, yet we often neglect to listen to each other's music. But of course, how and why [i]you[/i] choose to use the forum is your own business and you're totally entitled to it :)

The problem I encounter is that I like to check out BC on my tablet, but the soundcloud links won't work on that device.
I hardly ever use my laptop at home anymore and won't spend more than a couple of minutes here during work hours for obvious reasons.
Maybe my problem is rare but as more and more people are using portable devices to go online I think it is worth thinking about how content is shared on these forums with the limitations of these devices in mind.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372338512' post='2124491']

I occasionally listen to stuff that people post but 95% of the time it's just not music that appeals to me. What I see happening on the recording forum is just a lot of backslapping; it's little more than a mutual appreciation society IMO.

On the odd occasion somebody does say something less than positive they are invariably greeted with a sneery "well let's hear some of your stuff" response, as if the only way you can possibly have an opinion about anything posted is if you write & record stuff yourself.[/quote]

I think Skol answered this quite well , I have never seen any animosity in there and only ever people trying to each other develop their skills, maybe a bit of backslapping , but it helps individuals build their confidence in writing ,recording and production techniques, while sometimes the results don't quite work out to commercial production levels , I can start to appreciatte what goes into it and maybe pick up some ideas and skjills on the way . It is a great place , no less because of the selfless way that members who know their stuff very generously help to pass it on .

To start having a go at the members who aren't interested & are happy just to play a bit of bass & talk about their gear, favourite players etc. seems a little unfair to me and is an attitude unlikely to attract many "casual observers" into the recording section IMO.
[/quote]

I do get a little nervous when it becomes a point of order that members should be made to feel that it is their duty to spend their time in the section , but I do think the odd bit of encouragement to help them find their own way is very welcome.
49 votes as at this post is a brilliant response so thanks to all .

Clarkys first post in particular is belittling people for talking about bass stuff on a bass forum which seems a bit daft & counterproductive to me.
[/quote]My post was not meant to belittle - I take part in the very same threads I was referring to (I thought in a firmly tongue-in-cheek manner). I was merely wishing aloud that a faction of the energy that goes into those threads be directed to the recording forum. Anyway I've said my piece.

I only found the recording section just before Christmas when I'd seen a general chat post which referenced the Composition Competition.

I listen on a tablet most of the time (iPad) and its fine, although I will often save and listen on the home PC.

If it hadn't been for that post I would have never have listened and voted on previous composition competitions and encouraged to do my own entry.

The feedback I have had has been constructive and helpful, and it has certainly encouraged my musical development.

I reckon a sticky at the top of each sub-forum would sort out the visibility problem - that way those who are into it have an easy portal to it and those that just want to chat can ignore it.

On a more serious note, I have a poison dart here, for the next to promise naked female bassists and not deliver. :ph34r:

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1372358763' post='2124875']
On a more serious note, I have a poison dart here, for the next to promise naked female bassists and not deliver. :ph34r:
[/quote]

[b]SORRY YOU WERE OUT.[/b]

We have tried to deliver your naked female bassist today.
As you were out we have returned your naked female bassist to our central hub.

Please call 0800 123456 to arrange redelivery.

;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1372357719' post='2124859']
There's a thread with naked female bassists in it? How did I miss that?
[/quote]

Here you go...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210956-nude-female-bassist-pics/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210956-nude-female-bassist-pics/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

...but be warned: some could be offended by the contents. :mellow:

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1372358763' post='2124875']...On a more serious note, I have a poison dart here, for the next to promise naked female bassists and not deliver. :ph34r:[/quote]

I heartily agree. Why the mods allow such skulduggery, I'll never know. Very bad form; should be banned from the tuck shop. Obviously an Audi owner. :mellow:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1372359359' post='2124884']
[b]SORRY YOU WERE OUT.[/b]

We have tried to deliver your naked female bassist today.
As you were out we have returned your naked female bassist to our central hub.

Please call 0800 123456 to arrange redelivery.

;)
[/quote]
:D
Well that's just blinkin' typical. The delivery time quoted was for between 0:00 and 23:59 yesterday, so I set up a deckchair in the hall with some crisps and a keg of cheap cola. I waited. I was bursting for a slash all day and when my back teeth started floating at 23:58, I just had to go.

No sooner had I tipped my head back and exclaimed "Ahhhhhhh!" in blessed relief amid the rising steam, when the bloody door bell went and a card popped through.

I just hope they haven't punctured my NFB.

:gas:

Well put. I have been aware of the competition since it began but only started listening to June's after the nude female bassist thread. I posted some daft comment which produce some more and received a reply from the OP which got me listening. The standard and quality is staggering. I will be listening and voting each month. I won't be producing any songs for it as I'm not in that zone anymore. Get to and and good luck to all you composers, producers and (especially) bassists.

The composition comp is amazing, and as for the recording forum being all backslapping, read some of my thoughts in the mix comp, I try not to be rdue but I don't pull any punches either....

Which comp is best for metal?

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1372315556' post='2124089']
I mainly check BC in work these days.
By the time I get home and sort the kids out I've forgotten that there was something I needed to check out...
:-(
[/quote]
^ This ^

Thinking about this topic again It can't be all that bad? BC has existed for quite some time before the competition started last year & I'm sure it will continue for a while yet with or without the competition.

Although in defence of xilddx get out there, listen & vote. I am suprised at the number of compositions but equally suprised at how few votes there are - 59 to date!!

Edited by mep

[quote name='spellonyou' timestamp='1372341953' post='2124556']
The problem I encounter is that I like to check out BC on my tablet, but the soundcloud links won't work on that device.
I hardly ever use my laptop at home anymore and won't spend more than a couple of minutes here during work hours for obvious reasons.
Maybe my problem is rare but as more and more people are using portable devices to go online I think it is worth thinking about how content is shared on these forums with the limitations of these devices in mind.
[/quote]

That's pretty much it for me too.