Why become a member? ×

Going Back To 12" Drivers

gsgbass

I'm going back to a 2X12 cab, where I started out 44 years ago. I ordered a Gallien-Krueger 212MBE-ll cab today. It's a 4 ohm, 600 Watts, with 2X12" Neodymium drivers. It weighs in at 39 pounds. Another good thing about it, it matches up with my TC Electronic RH450 head. My current Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab, weighs in at 85 pounds. It seems that 12" drivers are coming back.

I think the days of "sounds like a 10/12/15" are long gone due to better amps and speakers, so now a 212 makes so much sense due to the practicalities. You get a fair amount of coneage, in a (usually) fairly lightweight cab. And with, it seems, many guitarists also down-sizing to smaller valve amps, there`s no longer the need to compete with 412s so a 212 for bass is a good does it all solution.

I far prefer 10's myself even though I do like the footprint of 2x112's.
Maybe it is less to do with the config that the actual chassis', NEO, Ceramic, whatever
but the fact remains that I am not sold on any of the 15" or 12's I've used.
and I haven't heard anyone else that convinces me either.

It is just the way it is...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1372159138' post='2122251']
Looks a nice cab :) I guess those are the newer made in the USA type?

I'm all over 12's in a 2x12 and I also have 2 single 12's.
A 112 will do me for almost any bar/cafe gig and the 2x12 does me for anything larger or outdoors.
[/quote]

I don't know where the manufacture of the cab is. My ordered 212MBE-ll should be here in about five days. Mine is coming from California, at the G-K facilities.

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1372280004' post='2123871']
I've also just dumped an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF and matching amp in favour of the combo version of this GK 2x12. 500W delivered to internal speakers, and 41lbs.

No complaints so far...!

BB
[/quote]

That's Cool!

Yeah, a lot of us in Sweden are going with the local speaker mfg TKS and his best selling boxes are based around 12s. I have just ordered new 2x 2128s (or the not announced replacement for them in the autumn), which were just fabulous when I tested them earlier this year with a Mesa Carbine M9. And they are very light as well, 46 lb each, or so. Gotta love em.

In 1968 12's were the poor man's 15's. I used Jensen 12's in home made cabs to go with Traynor heads. Fender Bassman heads were to expensive, and the Traynor heads kicked. The Mesa M9 Carbine is a killer head. I used a M6 Carbine for a bit.

My first cab was a 60s Marshall 4x12. It weighed an absolute ton! I got rid of it because my 13 year old self could only lift it 6 inches off the ground by my self. Which was at least something, the warehouse trolley I, erm, acquired, was only that high. So I'd have to drag the thing from my bedroom to the top of the stairs, roll it very, very carefully down the stairs, drag it into the back yard through the kitchen and lift it onto the trolley. Then I just had to push it the 100 yards to the rehearsal rooms with the wheels of the trolley squealing like a pig being murdered. And then doing it all again, backwards. Every week. I swapped if for a crappy 1x15, which I still have the cab of.

I like this trend of people going for 12s, it enabled me to finally buy a 4x10 (for £40) and will hopefully mean I will be able to get a nice 2x15, my dream rig! Even if I never get to use it in anger...

I just got an mb112-ii. I'm a pretty much fully decided 12 hater, couldn't get along with any I've owned, I still very much found that 15's sounded 'fifteeny' and 12's sounded, well, 'twelvey'!
Tens always had the punch and slam and mid sounds that I preferred without the need for much eq'ing.
That included a Barefaced midgetT/compact set up among (many) others.
But I have to say, that 'so far' the GK combo is the first time I've found a twelve that responds more like a ten to my ears. Very pleased so far, I bought it almost grudgingly out of nessecity (it was cheaper than the ten inch version!)
But thus far I'm chuffed to bits. Expect a review once gigged!

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1372320338' post='2124134']
I just got an mb112-ii. I'm a pretty much fully decided 12 hater, couldn't get along with any I've owned, I still very much found that 15's sounded 'fifteeny' and 12's sounded, well, 'twelvey'!
Tens always had the punch and slam and mid sounds that I preferred without the need for much eq'ing.
That included a Barefaced midgetT/compact set up among (many) others.
But I have to say, that 'so far' the GK combo is the first time I've found a twelve that responds more like a ten to my ears. Very pleased so far, I bought it almost grudgingly out of nessecity (it was cheaper than the ten inch version!)
But thus far I'm chuffed to bits. Expect a review once gigged!
[/quote]
Sorry for the off-topic but can you please tell me how does it handle the highs? I'm used to using tweeters and the lack of one in the MB112-II has been putting me off a purchase. And since i'm on off-topic can someone please explain why my "enter" key isn't working on BC? I can't do tabs on my postings or PMs... Cheers (edit: been to site issues thread and found that the paragraph problem is from W8 or IE10, i'm changing to chrome to see if that solves the problem)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

The G-K 212MBE-ll does very well all around. It has a HF horn that takes the place of tweeters. The thing about 12's that I always appreciated about them, they are so versatile, and it doesn't take an enormous volume to push, and get the sound out. Good Mids, and highs. Great lows! I feel like a kid again going back to 12's. I'm glad the amp companies are reviving the 12" driver.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1372338801' post='2124498']
The G-K 212MBE-ll does very well all around. It has a HF horn that takes the place of tweeters. The thing about 12's that I always appreciated about them, they are so versatile, and it doesn't take an enormous volume to push, and get the sound out. Good Mids, and highs. Great lows! I feel like a kid again going back to 12's. I'm glad the amp companies are reviving the 12" driver.
[/quote]
[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1372339007' post='2124501']
I concur, I'm a tweeter guy all the way, but on the mb112 I've had to considerably cut the highs, no problem with high end extension.
If its as impressive at volume then this could be a seriously good buy!
[/quote]

Thanks for the replys, i'll be looking forward to hear your thoughts about the 112 live Gaf. I'll be starting to look for a new combo next week and if a Promethean P5110 doesn't pop up on the used section then i'll take the plunge on the MB.
I would go for the 212, it has everything one could hope for (on paper) but i already have a Super12T and a Thunderfunk, i really just need a small combo for practises/small gigs.

On topic: i always prefer 12s to 10s or 15s, i think they have the best of both worlds without their flaws - enough lows but not boomy and good mid and high end without being harsh.

(Also, i just found that Google Chrome lets me use paragraphs, don't upgrade to IE10 before they release a update to solve this problem.)

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

This was my e-mail reply I received back from Gallien-Krueger, when I inquired about the material the cab is constructed of.

[i]"Hello Glenn, It is constructed of plywood. ;-)"[/i]

[size=1][color=#00BFFF][b]Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!![/b][/color][/size] A real cab. Sorry, I got excited! :rolleyes: [color=#00BFFF][b]Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!![/b][/color] [color=#00BFFF][b]Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!![/b][/color] [color=#00BFFF][b]Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!![/b][/color]

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1372284503' post='2123953']
Yeah, a lot of us in Sweden are going with the local speaker mfg TKS and his best selling boxes are based around 12s.
[/quote]

Hi Bjelkeman,

Would be interesting to get your thoughts on EBS. I've been using an EBS Neo 2x12 for several years and haven't heard anything that I would change it for.