Why become a member? ×

Why Are Jazz Basses Heavier Than Precisions ?

Dingus

Weight is a big issue for me nowadays when it comes to choosing basses , and looking at the stated weights of Jazz Bass- style instruments I have noticed that , very generally speaking , they tend to be heavier than Precision - style instruments . I have been looking at some Fender Custom Shop Jazz Basses on the internet and they uniformly weigh significantly more than the Custom Shop P Basses made out of the same body woods . Is this a recognised trend that I was previously unaware of ? The only explaination I can think of is that the offset body shape of the Jazz is in fact slightly bigger than the Precision , but to be honest , they look about the same overall size to me .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1371134049' post='2110263']
More importantly, who is that is your avatar pic? :gas:

There is more funk in a J, and funk has mass. It's one of the lesser known laws of physics.
[/quote]

I get a lot of questions about the avatar picture . It's this maths genius and personal finance expert :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZ0ch2sHbY

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1371134659' post='2110290']
I could do with that kind of assistance in helping be get to grips with my personal finances
[/quote]

Let' s face it , there's plenty to get to grips with !

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371134470' post='2110284']
I get a lot of questions about the avatar picture . It's this maths genius and personal finance expert :[/quote]

Wow! :o I thought it looked like her facially, but had no idea she was so, er.... endowed! :blink:

Anyway - thanks for the info, and sorry for the thread hijack! :blush:

Edited by Conan

I have met Carol a couple of times and had no inkling that she was packing that kind of heat . Maybe now that she has lost her big bucks contract with Countdown she needs to use all her assets maximise her earning potential . Fine by me .

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1371136069' post='2110336']
She must surely have had, er... surgical assistance? I don't remember her tumblers being that hefty.
[/quote]

I think that top would give [i]me[/i] a cleavage to be proud of! ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1371136069' post='2110336']
She must surely have had, er... surgical assistance? I don't remember her tumblers being that hefty.
[/quote]

I consider myself a bit of an authority on these things , and they look 100% natural to me . I would , of course , have to investigate further to swear to it in court , but on this evidence alone , I think they are real .

Edited by Dingus

And back on topic, the lower offset bout of a Jazz bass makes the body larger, originally to do two things: 1) more comfort when sitting down to play and 2) offset neck dive from the weight of the old "elephant ear" tuners. But it also depends on the density of the body wood. All basses made by Fender using "northern" ash instead of "swamp" ash or alder will be more dense and heavy. A Jazz bass I used to own that was made out of swamp ash was actually lighter than some Precision basses I have played. It was a fine piece of ash, easy to pick up. ;)

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1371137092' post='2110364']
And back on topic, the lower offset bout of a Jazz bass makes the body larger, originally to do two things: 1) more comfort when sitting down to play and 2) offset neck dive from the weight of the old "elephant ear" tuners. But it also depends on the density of the body wood. All basses made by Fender using "northern" ash instead of "swamp" ash will be more dense and heavy. A Jazz bass I used to own that was made out of swamp ash was actually lighter than some Precision basses I have played. It was a fine piece of ash.
[/quote]

I thought that might be the case , but I didn't know the offset body was to counteract neck dive , so thanks for that . The basses I have been looking at are all alder , but I know Northern Ash like Fender and Music Man used in the 1970's and EBMM use nowadays tends to be very heavy . I also know swamp ash can vary greatly in weight , between exceptionally light and just as heavy as Northern ash . I've noticed that even on the pre- CBS Fenders with alder bodies , the Precisions often weigh in just over 8 pounds whereas the Jazz Basses are usually closer to nine pounds or more .

Edited by Dingus