Why become a member? ×

Just Been Insulted (I Think)...!

Hobbayne

Guest bassman7755

I've been in a band before where the keys player didn't have a good enough ear to work out his own parts for some covers so I had to do it ..

So because you know the chords for guitar in 3 minute pop song, he thinks you are to advanced to play bass ? He obviously has little experience and not just in music

Also , not sure id want to be in band where the guitarist is asking people to audition and cant himself know the chords to a kravitz or foo fighters type song.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1370770006' post='2105217']
But.... if you see local bands the bass is more than likely going to be the weakest...
either from a technical point of view or they don't know what the EQ section does or even what the notes are on the bass
and what constitutes a scale or chord.
[/quote]
We must be lucky as we have some great musicians including bassists in our local bands, its about time you put up a few links to your work as your so critical all the time without us seeing the goods :)

...if you see local bands the bass is more than likely going to be the weakest...[/quote]

How did you come to this conclusion?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1370794378' post='2105599']
...it's usually the drummer.[/quote]

This is [i]much [/i]more likely. Good drummers are a rarity.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1370697447' post='2104528']
Heh heh heh!

But seriously folks... IMO playing bass well requires a [i]greater[/i] level of musicality than for guitar, so the guy didn't so much insult you as show up his own ignorance! Did you get the gig?
[/quote]

They emailed and offered me the job, but I politely declined. <_<

But.... if you see local bands the bass is more than likely going to be the weakest...
either from a technical point of view or they don't know what the EQ section does or even what the notes are on the bass
and what constitutes a scale or chord.
[/quote]

A statement that doesn't even come close to being a sweeping generalisation in that it is so wrong, it's actually embarrassing to read.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370801361' post='2105765']

Hurrumph... :angry:
[/quote]:D
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1370801775' post='2105770']

A statement that doesn't even come close to being a sweeping generalisation in that it is so wrong, it's actually embarrassing to read.
[/quote]
JTUK often tells us tales of these terrible bands but we never get to see his ;)

I can't say I find the arrogant dismissal of any instrument very cool and I find the constant put downs of guitarists on this forum just as tedious as the put downs that bassists sometimes get from guitarists.

Playing the bass well is hard. Playing the drums well is hard. Playing the guitar well is hard. Playing one instead of the other doesn't make you better, it just makes you different.

Before I found this forum, I joined a guitar forum and said I was going to take lessons learning the bass and this was the reply :-
are you practising to backing tracks...i dont know of any bass players that have ever had [i]dedicated[/i] ' bass guitar ' lessons ?..if not whats the method of practising
with agreement from other guitarists, who are apparently in bands, which I found hard to believe

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1370800201' post='2105739']
They emailed and offered me the job, but I politely declined. <_<
[/quote]

I think you made the right choice..! I mean, EMAILING an offer? :rolleyes: ..don't they know how to make a call?!?!?!? :D

Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1370803707' post='2105805']
:D

JTUK often tells us tales of these terrible bands but we never get to see his ;)
[/quote]

Let me know when you are down this way... we are pretty busy over the summer.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1370803889' post='2105808']
I can't say I find the arrogant dismissal of any instrument very cool and I find the constant put downs of guitarists on this forum just as tedious as the put downs that bassists sometimes get from guitarists.

Playing the bass well is hard. Playing the drums well is hard. Playing the guitar well is hard. Playing one instead of the other doesn't make you better, it just makes you different.
[/quote]
cheer up old son, its all only meant as a bit of a laugh ( but then again you knew that EH?)
Playing the Bass isn't that hard but we'll keep that to ourselves just here eh? ;)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1370803889' post='2105808']
....Playing the bass well is hard. Playing the drums well is hard. Playing the guitar well is hard....
[/quote]

....then comes the really hard bit; playing well with other musicians.