Why become a member? ×

Stone Roses tonight at Finsbury Park

Clarky

Setting aside ludicrously overpriced tickets (£55 a pop; but Mrs C *had* to see them) the band were on fine form. Mani was solid as ever, playing a selection of custom-painted Epiphone Jack Casady basses (one in Damien Hirst spot-style, one in psychedlic swirls, one with blue lozenges all over, and a couple of others) and not a Ricky in sight (haha). Reni was excellent on drums and John Squire was his usual Page-esque guitar hero. Ian Brown, however, had all the charisma and banter of a mortician and his singing was .... well you all know. Bottom line: band excellent but Ian Brown managed to out-Ian Brown himself

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1370647390' post='2104069']
MB1.
They've got a new film out that makes grown men cry apparently?
[/quote]

Saw it earlier, big fan of Stone Roses so loved it - not as informative as I'd have hoped from a documentary but still excellent for SR fans. I didn't see anyone crying, but then again we were at the front so there may have been masses of weeping blokes behind us.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1370654007' post='2104120']

Saw it earlier, big fan of Stone Roses so loved it - not as informative as I'd have hoped from a documentary but still excellent for SR fans. I didn't see anyone crying, but then again we were at the front so there may have been masses of weeping blokes behind us.
[/quote]

Massive Roses fan here too and I saw the Made Of Stone movie tonight too and loved it)
I was at Spike Island in 1990 as a fresh faced 18 year old and that gig moved me so much at the time that I drove home, promptly dropped out of catering college and sold my car to buy my first bass and amp (it was Mani who caught my eye - he just seemed so cool and down to earth... and funky! :))
I also made it to the Saturday Heaton Park show last June so yes, tonight a loving old misty eye may have brinked a tad, but I didn't bawl, honest! ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1370662672' post='2104144']
Massive Roses fan here too and I saw the Made Of Stone movie tonight too and loved it)
I was at Spike Island in 1990 as a fresh faced 18 year old and that gig moved me so much at the time that I drove home, promptly dropped out of catering college and sold my car to buy my first bass and amp (it was Mani who caught my eye - he just seemed so cool and down to earth... and funky! :))
I also made it to the Saturday Heaton Park show last June so yes, tonight a loving old misty eye may have brinked a tad, but I didn't bawl, honest! ;)
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it, the devotion so many people have to SR is unbelievable. Love Mani's basslines - everything he plays really contributes to the songs, like they said in the documentary, numbers like Elephant Stone wouldn't have been the same without him. Wish I'd been around when they came to prominence (only twenty at the moment sadly), I've yet to see them live - planned on going to Isle of Wight to see them this upcoming Friday, but it annoyingly clashes with Download festival.

Went on Friday, massive SR fan here, saw them 3 times in '89, twice in '95, and was sadly present at Reading too in '96. Thought they were excellent, great sound, and a real groove about them. Better than Heaton park, although the fact it was their reunion meant that Heaton was a much bigger 'event' than Finsbury. Ian Brown is Ian Brown, his legendary status means he can behave how he likes on stage I guess, he was always like that anyway, and his voice is far better than it was. Saw the MoS film too while in London, good documentary, with some new footage (For a change), although could have included more band interviews imo. Always good to see Roses related stuff though. This is a shameless excuse to show my Mani-a-like 4005 too;

Never really 'got' them I'm afraid, along with other bands if their ilk. My usual rule of thumb is if the late Tony Wilson had any involvement with a band they'd usually be wildly over hyped and extremely underwhleming. I do have a 'best of' compilation somewhere but I don't think I've ever made it through the full track list. I was asked to learn one of theirs for a recent gig but we didn't play it in the end.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1370865307' post='2106466']
Never really 'got' them I'm afraid, along with other bands if their ilk. My usual rule of thumb is if the late Tony Wilson had any involvement with a band they'd usually be wildly over hyped and extremely underwhleming. I do have a 'best of' compilation somewhere but I don't think I've ever made it through the full track list. I was asked to learn one of theirs for a recent gig but we didn't play it in the end.
[/quote]

The only involvement Tony Wilson had with the Roses was to openly put them down as they didn't sign to his Factory label. Inevitably when they started making waves of their own doing and couldn't be ignored any longer, they performed on the Other Side Of Midnight programme which he presented.
To me they stood apart from the other bands of the 'Madchester' scene as the music went deeper than any of the others, as did the very inspiring interviews they gave in the music rags of the day. The others just came across as wreck-heads on their jollies really. Imho and all that.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1370789768' post='2105523']
Went on Friday, massive SR fan here, saw them 3 times in '89, twice in '95, and was sadly present at Reading too in '96. Thought they were excellent, great sound, and a real groove about them. Better than Heaton park, although the fact it was their reunion meant that Heaton was a much bigger 'event' than Finsbury. Ian Brown is Ian Brown, his legendary status means he can behave how he likes on stage I guess, he was always like that anyway, and his voice is far better than it was. Saw the MoS film too while in London, good documentary, with some new footage (For a change), although could have included more band interviews imo. Always good to see Roses related stuff though. This is a shameless excuse to show my Mani-a-like 4005 too;
[/quote]

Great stuff!
I remember seeing your build diary thread for the 'Rickenmani' when I first joined BC. Outstanding sir! Really impressed. I always wanted a 4005 too but you know how much they go for of course. Ended up getting a 4001 instead but that bloody thing was a dog, awful thing. All sharp edges and no balls. A tech removed a resistor for me and that did beef things up but I had to literally fight yhe thing to play it. I obviously had a bad un but it's put me off them for life really. Now if Rickenbacker reissued the 4005 I would be in for one of them for sure. I'd find a way somehow!
Mani's getting great tones from his Epi Jack Casady's these days isn't he.
I hope they make a habit of these weekender gigs as if they do a couple next summer I'll be at everyone to make up for missing out this year.
Hopefully next time we'll hear some new songs too!

Didn't like them at the time but have a couple of songs in our set now and really enjoy playing them. Go down a storm too. Not as good as the Seahorses though! Now that is a great band with some brilliant and creative bass lines!

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1370900936' post='2107314']
Didn't like them at the time but have a couple of songs in our set now and really enjoy playing them.
[/quote]

Too right - currently working my way through trying to learn to play all of the debut. Got about half the songs down, even when Mani's at his simplest it's still fun to play.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1371062668' post='2109419']
Didn't get them at the time, still don't now. I suppose if you're into catchy guitar riffs being spoilt by someone whining over the top of them....
[/quote]

Sorry mate I think you've come to the wrong place, 'The Smiths' live a few doors down from here.

;)

I was there on Saturday night too. I thought they were fantastic. Despite his vocal limitations, Ian Brown is perfect to front the band. The crowd sang through every song and the musicianship was quality. They can groove for England. The bar was extortionate though! Liked the comment about the trip back to the underground, a massive bunch of blokes singing Roses songs while cuddling each other. Ace

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1371088305' post='2109736']
Sorry mate I think you've come to the wrong place, 'The Smiths' live a few doors down from here.

;)
[/quote]

Didn't like them either, for exactly the same reason...so the Stone Roses weren't even original at being unlikeable.

Sad new after Saturdays gig in Glasgow...

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22935494"]h[/url][url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22935494"]ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22935494[/url]

That's twice in two years now someone has died either at, or having been at, The Stone Roses summer gigs after the young bloke who died in Manchester last year.

:unsure: :(

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1371115313' post='2109904']
Or a shameless rip off.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7_LeTkp52U[/media]

Bass kicks in around 1;00
[/quote]

I don't think Young MC would have any grounds to complain...