Why become a member? ×

James Blunt. Better than Mozart?

BetaFunk

Not better than Mozart, but would say that he doesn't deserve a lot of the flak that he gets from various quarters..

I went with the wife to see him at Rivermead Leisure Centre in Reading a few years back - I went in expecting not to enjoy it, and would have to say that it's one of the better gigs I'd seen in recent years. Clever songwriter with a good band behind him.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370265924' post='2098272']
O.K so he's better than Mozart , but is he better than a Stingray ? That is the real question we need to answer .
[/quote]
I think that Mozart would have ditched the clavier pronto if Stingrays had been around then. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370266201' post='2098282']
I think that Mozart would have ditched the clavier pronto if Stingrays had been around then. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Incontrovertible evidence for this hypothesis :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceoLCYMOwP0

As one of the few on BC to have known both Mozart [i]and[/i] James Blunt on a personal basis, I would say that Mozart was better fun when going a-whoring.

But I'd rather have young James alongside when scouting bandit territory. Picked off a Pathan tribesman at 550m, one shot, clean as a whistle.

All I will say is that Im thankful he doesn't get much exposure these days. Anyone who could write such drivel as 'Goodbye, my lover' and sing in that wailing voice should be kept out of sight.

Mozart would cut him a new one in a fight. Word!

There has been so much good debate on this subject that i'm having to reassess my views. I reckon that James could knock out a decent tune on the clavier but have come to the conclusion that Wolfgang Amadeus would be crap on the guitar. So it's one up to JB at the moment but of course this could all change.

Edited by BetaFunk

I don`t know about better, but I certainly prefer JBs material to WAM. And I do think that the flak he gets is probably a lot to do with his accent - that old "who does he think he is" stuff that comes out when someone who speaks "proper" gets into the public eye. Much the way certain X-Factor and The Voice contestants have been attacked - nice upper class accents the common denominator.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1370266325' post='2098285']
James Blunt lends himself to limericks better than Mozart.
[/quote]

Well, I thought it was funny... :D

Personally, I like Beethoven.
Movies about big soppy dogs? Gotta love 'em.
More than that Blunt.... (Searches for rhyme)

Bloke.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1370277974' post='2098516']
I don`t know about better, but I certainly prefer JBs material to WAM. And I do think that the flak he gets is probably a lot to do with his accent - that old "who does he think he is" stuff that comes out when someone who speaks "proper" gets into the public eye. Much the way certain X-Factor and The Voice contestants have been attacked - nice upper class accents the common denominator.
[/quote]

For me it's all about the music. Cloying and sickly, or at best just totally bland.

I've seen him on Have I Got News for You and Never Mind the Buzzcocks and he seems like a funny guy who's happy to laugh at himself, just stop him making records please.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1370266325' post='2098285']
James Blunt lends himself to limericks better than Mozart.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1370329477' post='2099071']
Well, I thought it was funny... :D(Searches for rhyme)
[/quote]

OK, Here you go.....

A performer whose name is James Blunt
Made an album with his face on the front
And then on the back
Instead of each track
Was another big pic of the............

"Can't think of a rhyme there Lurcio...."