Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition

charic

I've managed to get something done this month. It's an instrumental as I thought I'd spare your ears on this occasion :P All tracks were recorded on my ACG sixer, and except for the pad tracks at the beginning, are all clean, with reverb and a bit of eq'ing done in the mixing stage. This may not be the final version, as I would like to rerecord some parts if opportunity arises, but here it is anyway

[url="http://soundcloud.com/stevemcevoy/the-andean-incident"]http://soundcloud.com/stevemcevoy/the-andean-incident[/url]

Thats a lovely piece Steve , well in ,
Mine is nearly done , I have recorded a vocal but I am really hoping to get our bands singer to do it so that I can ditch mine , If its a possibility I will hang fire , but if not, I will put mine up.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370790063' post='2105527']
Lovely feel and tone to the piece Steve :D

I like it :D
[/quote]
[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1370810891' post='2105934']
Thats a lovely piece Steve , well in ,
Mine is nearly done , I have recorded a vocal but I am really hoping to get our bands singer to do it so that I can ditch mine , If its a possibility I will hang fire , but if not, I will put mine up.
[/quote]

Thanks very much, kind of you to say so :)

btw I'm not being ignorant regarding other peoples tunes, I prefer to wait until voting starts and then listen to all of them in one sitting

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1370901767' post='2107332']
I think mine's done now: [url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/when-things-come-out-at-night"]http://soundcloud.com/mornats/when-things-come-out-at-night[/url]
[/quote]

You've used those movie clips excellently.

Enjoyed it so much I listened 3 times in a row :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1370254110' post='2098034']
I may call in a couple of friends for this piece. We were jamming in the living room the other day and I came up with a chord progression which by all theory shouldn't have worked :lol: sounded great though.
[/quote]

you havent stolen the carlos santana secret chord progression have you?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1370938768' post='2107563']
you havent stolen the carlos santana secret chord progression have you?
[/quote]

I have no idea what you mean :lol:

Chord progression is : Gm Cm F D

If someone can tell my why it works I'd appreciate it :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1370941190' post='2107610']
If someone can tell my why it works I'd appreciate it :lol:
[/quote]

In the context of F major, Gm Cm F D can be thought of as II-v-I-VI

first three chords are close a ii-V-I progression (change Cm to C7 by raising the Eb to E natural and addind a flat 7th (Bb)), and changing the Dmaj to Dm would give you the vi chord in Fmajor, so what you have is a modified vi-ii-V-I turnaround (a common progression), which (I assume) your cycling round, but starting on the ii.

Edited by steve

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1370942343' post='2107633']

first three chords are close a ii-V-I progression (change Cm to C7 by raising the Eb to E natural and addind a flat 7th (Bb)), and changing the Dmaj to Dm would give you the vi chord in Fmajor, so what you have is a modified vi-ii-V-I turnaround (a common progression), which (I assume) your cycling round, but starting on the ii.
[/quote]

*Head explodes!*

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1370942343' post='2107633']

[/quote]

:huh:

Ok, but shouldn't that D chord sound terrible in theory? Being played on a keyboard F# A D btw (it's all based on chord triads).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1370943001' post='2107643']
:huh:

Ok, but shouldn't that D chord sound terrible in theory? Being played on a keyboard F# A D btw (it's all based on chord triads).
[/quote]

All the theory is telling us is whether it conforms to the tonality of Fmajor, you ear tells you it sounds good (or not, but in this case IMHO it sounds very nice). If it was a D minor chord, played in that inversion, you would have an F natural, but substituing the F# gives voice leading in the chord roots of F, F# (in D maj triad) to G assuming the other chords are in root position.

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1370943793' post='2107662']
All the theory is telling us is whether it conforms to the tonality of Fmajor, you ear tells you it sounds good (or not, but in this case IMHO it sounds very nice). If it was a D minor chord, played in that inversion, you would have an F natural, but substituing the F# gives voice leading in the chord roots of F, F# (in D maj triad) to G assuming the other chords are in root position.
[/quote]

Good point about ear versus theory :lol:

Not all chords are in root though :
Gm : G Bb D
Cm : G C Eb
F : F A C
D : F# A D

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1370943793' post='2107662']
All the theory is telling us is whether it conforms to the tonality of Fmajor, [b]you ear tells you it sounds good (or not, but in this case IMHO it sounds very nice)[/b]. If it was a D minor chord, played in that inversion, you would have an F natural, but substituing the F# gives voice leading in the chord roots of F, F# (in D maj triad) to G assuming the other chords are in root position.
[/quote]

Indeed, if you move on from just triads or Root chords, things start to open up
That second chord of 'D' could become D/F# bass....
or...F# dim/D bass [D7-9] or....D7-9/F# Bass.

Garry

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370934394' post='2107513']

You've used those movie clips excellently.

Enjoyed it so much I listened 3 times in a row :D
[/quote]

Thanks :) I had much fun making it and I do love my movie dialogue! I'll be buying more for future tracks and of course my pic is on its way...

The chord progression for mine is Cminor, Gminor, Bbminor, F#minor. There's a great chart in Rikky Rooksby's How to Write Songs on Guitar (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0879306114) that shows you which chords go well together. It helps shortcut some theory (which you should learn, it's great once you work these things out!).

I think my track gets a bit busy. There are a couple of sections where I have drums, bass, two rhythm guitars, one lead guitar, a synth, and half an orchestra (several violin, cellos, horns sections). I think the compression on it all is a bit heavy-handed but that's my weakest area. I did however learn how to send a signal from the bass track to the synth track to control a compressor. It meant that whenever hte bass plays the volume on the main synth line drops to make room for it. It gives the bass a bit more punch. I used the same thing to get the dialogue to dip the volume of the strings too. Quite a handy tool but I'm still learning about it.

Wow, everyone is on the ball this month! Great stuff :)

I haven't had chance to properly listen to anyone's new postings since Deb's, but will do so and share some feedback next chance I get.

Mike (urb) and I are underway with our collaborative effort this month, joined by a lady called Rebecca Romine from California. Looking forward to sharing what we've created with y'all once it's finished!

Paul