Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition

charic

OK, I'm giving this a start!! Although in saying that I did that in December and never made a finished track!

I have a chord sequence for the verse.... Have a concept for a middle 8.... Now need a chorus and the bravery (foolishness) to sing/talk! And then let the proper composing and programming commence!!

I'm in for this one! It's been a while as I've been busy with my band but I've put something down that just needs tidied up. I think it was in me and was desperate to get out for a while as I got it down in a day :) It's snuck past the 5 min mark though and is 5:26 so far. How strict are we with this? I think I could cut it down... (if I remove all the bum notes I'd have it down to 0:26 hehe).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1370263191' post='2098210']
Miroslav Philharmonik calls!!!
[/quote]

And it has some Miroslav in it :)

(As an aside, I need to fix a weird bug with Miroslav in Reaper. The Miroslav track sometimes cuts out the sound or leaves a note playing all through the track. It changes each time I play it... weird!)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370332181' post='2099115']
Now need a chorus and the bravery (foolishness) to sing/talk!
[/quote]

I've got a Shure PG48 mic on order and will be picking it up at the weekend... eek! I'll need some of your bravery/foolishness for this I think.

Frigging hell this is hard!!!!

It's also rather obsessive, I haven't got anything else done all day!!! And I promised hubby I'd make some cheese pasties... That ain't gonna happen now!

And I have freaked out two of my three cats with a sound I am sampling for my track!

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1370387137' post='2100289']By the way, in this month's photo, is that Mount Mistie in Colco Canyon, Peru?[/quote]

From the descriptive blurb it's...

[i]"Full-moon in the Moon Valley. Volcanoes Licancabur and Juriques, west of San Pedro de Atacama, Chile in the Cordillera de la Sal, in the Atacama desert of Chile."[/i]

Link to original image here:
http://tinyurl.com/kjw98y7

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1370347134' post='2099379']
I'm in for this one! It's been a while as I've been busy with my band but I've put something down that just needs tidied up. I think it was in me and was desperate to get out for a while as I got it down in a day :) It's snuck past the 5 min mark though and is 5:26 so far. How strict are we with this? I think I could cut it down... (if I remove all the bum notes I'd have it down to 0:26 hehe).

And it has some Miroslav in it :)

(As an aside, I need to fix a weird bug with Miroslav in Reaper. The Miroslav track sometimes cuts out the sound or leaves a note playing all through the track. It changes each time I play it... weird!)
[/quote]

One of mine was 6 minutes and I didn't even realize there was a time limit until I actually read the first post of next months thread properly, we're quite a laid back lot, I'd say you're fine.

I had a bug with one of my VST's last month, it would occasionally, and completely at random, slip into horrendous feedback, or suddenly introduce a really piercing constant high note, but it was called "Element of Surprise" so I suppose I had it coming...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1370265248' post='2098244']

Go for it SpaceChick :) It'd be great to have you on board. Just bear in mind that it's highly addictive and you may have to develop a crack cocaine habit, or something similar, to wean you off it once started.

Paul
[/quote]

Bloody hell Paul, you weren't lying were you :P

I'm addicted already!!

I have recorded all the parts, but may re-record some of the vocals.... Haven't decided yet!!

I have had a lot of fun though, even though my song is quite "dark".

I have learned soooo much yesterday and today.... I've never used a DAW before, so it's a steep learning curve.

So, my fellow basschatters, I think you will be having an entry from a female this month :P

In all honesty, I can't see me getting a single vote, but that's OK as there is some incredible talent on here (which I most certainly haven't developed.... Hopefully yet!). However, the doing is an accomplishment for me in itself, so happy days!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1370394330' post='2100344']
From the descriptive blurb it's...

[i]"Full-moon in the Moon Valley. Volcanoes Licancabur and Juriques, west of San Pedro de Atacama, Chile in the Cordillera de la Sal, in the Atacama desert of Chile."[/i]

Link to original image here:
[url="http://tinyurl.com/kjw98y7"]http://tinyurl.com/kjw98y7[/url]
[/quote]

Well it's the same mountain range (kinda) anyway :)

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1370409389' post='2100358']
One of mine was 6 minutes and I didn't even realize there was a time limit until I actually read the first post of next months thread properly, we're quite a laid back lot, I'd say you're fine.
[/quote]

I managed to cut it down to 4:58! All the better for it too.

Oh and welcome to the competition Spacechick, hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Love the pic it could really bring in some interesting tunes, will deffo have a pop this month, I am going to try the serious approach this month, glad to hear space chick is putting something together cant wait to hear it. We deffo need more female entrants, all this testosterone is no good for anyone. No ideas yet but I am praying to the god of composition, hope he/she is listening :D Thing is I prayed to the god of football and look where that got me, FA cup win yeah, then relegation. Evil god of football :P

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370455242' post='2101262']
Bloody hell Paul, you weren't lying were you :P

I'm addicted already!!

I have recorded all the parts, but may re-record some of the vocals.... Haven't decided yet!!

I have had a lot of fun though, even though my song is quite "dark".

I have learned soooo much yesterday and today.... I've never used a DAW before, so it's a steep learning curve.

So, my fellow basschatters, I think you will be having an entry from a female this month :P

In all honesty, I can't see me getting a single vote, but that's OK as there is some incredible talent on here (which I most certainly haven't developed.... Hopefully yet!). However, the doing is an accomplishment for me in itself, so happy days!
[/quote]

It sounds all good so far , don't worry about the votes , I use the competition as a kick up my backside to do something I have always wanted to do , so it is the experience, process and the participation that was my motivator , but , when I got a vote I could not believe it , what a buzz , honest , someone liked mine a bit more than the others :gas: . I reckon there is a nice person somewhere just doing the nicest things in the world :rolleyes: .

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370455242' post='2101262']Bloody hell Paul, you weren't lying were you :P I'm addicted already!!... I have learned soooo much yesterday and today....[/quote]

Haha, I did warn you! Great to hear that you're having with it and learning new stuff. That's [i]exactly[/i] what all this is about. Second to playing a gig, I think it's one of the most satisfying and rewarding things to do, musically-speaking. I've learned a sheload of new things since Charic kicked off these monthly challenges last September... and more importantly my confidence as a 'musician' (I use the term lightly) has grown from strength to strength. Getting your head around the recording process and using a DAW is probably the most challenging aspect, but you'll soon find that it 'clicks' and becomes second nature, if it hasn't already done so. And there are plenty of folks here who're very happy to help out if you ever get stuck. I know Stephen has been offering you advice already - he's a good bloke like that :)

Anyway, really good to have you taking part and better still to hear you're enjoying it!

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1370465995' post='2101529']This is going to be an interesting one...[/quote]

It sure is mate :D

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1370470482' post='2101627']Love the pic it could really bring in some interesting tunes, will deffo have a pop this month, I am going to try the serious approach this month... I prayed to the god of football and look where that got me, FA cup win yeah, then relegation. Evil god of football[/quote]

Nice one Steve! I wouldn't worry about the "serious approach"... I like the sense of humour you often bring to your music, be a shame to lose that but also nice to try new directions, of course. A bit like Wigan Athletic - although I appreciate why their current direction might not be to your liking :P I shouldn't mock... I'm a Hereford United fan, and they're verging on entering the Sunday League.

Mine's recorded and I'm almost happy with the mix and arrangement. I've got plenty of time so I'll sit on it a bit, listen with fresh ears a few times and do some more tweaking. I've got a name now: "When Things Come Out at Night in the Mountains". Just to give you a feel for the theme. :)

I'm picking up my new mic - a vocal mic!! at the weekend so may try some spoken word/vocal effects on it. If not, I'll buy this and see if anything fits: [url="http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/1780/Movie-Dialogue-Vol-6"]http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/1780/Movie-Dialogue-Vol-6[/url].

I have the format , drums and a few filly bits down(ish) , lyrics ready , the bassline is doing my head in though , I used to do the stuff in my sleep but getting a 3 minute blues line down is just hurting right now, never mind the vocal , I may need some help with that.

Love the title Mornats..... I suspect we may be approaching from a similar angle ;)

My main bassline is fairly simple, but I do include some additional fretless solos over the top (which may be over the top, but who cares! LOL!)

Woke up this morning with an idea to lift the vocals (well, the best way would be getting someone who can actually sing to do them but hey ho!) so I am definitely going to re-record them and then remix it.

I have sent my first draft to a few close friends and my bass teacher for comments..... I have had lovely feedback from one musician friend with some constructive feedback. My husband, however, being the honest soul that he is said.......

"You can't sing, your singing is out of tune and you sound welshy.... Do you know I really don't like your singing voice. The mix is all over the place, it may sound better if you sort that out, but ultimately if you do, don't play it to me again as hearing it once was enough. It really is a depressing song you know. You aren't really going to enter it are you?"

:lol: you sure you are ready for a female entry boys :P

Wow that's "honest" feedback! If I ever hear feedback like that it makes me more determined to really polish my work to shut them up :)

My basslines in a lot of my tracks tend to be fiddly or busy as I like to try and push myself. I do cheat and will record 50 takes (it's really that many, sometimes more, for some of them) of a 4 bar loop then copy it to other sections :0 I'm trying more and more to do basslines in an entire take now though as the former method means I never get a chance to learn them as I change them with each take.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370499239' post='2101767']"You can't sing, your singing is out of tune and you sound welshy.... Do you know I really don't like your singing voice. The mix is all over the place, it may sound better if you sort that out, but ultimately if you do, don't play it to me again as hearing it once was enough. It really is a depressing song you know. You aren't really going to enter it are you?"[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcsXtiN8-UY

:D

My wife is equally generous with her compliments. She once described my singing voice as being "like Jarvis Cocker on a really bad day", which I'm actually quite happy about.