Why become a member? ×

Thomastik (TI) Strings - why do YOU use them?

Chiliwailer

It's been quite a few years since I last played Thomastik flats, and back then I was still using round wounds and was not particularly interested (shame on me, I know).

So my main question is why do [u][b]you[/b][/u] use them?

My other question is how do you get on with the 'different to usual' string gauges? I'm finding it hard to imagine using a 70 gauge A string and getting some weight in the tone, especially as I play soul, groove, dub, funk rock type bass lines most. These sets must be balanced, but how?!!!!!

Thank you.

I recently bought a new fretless ESP. It came with rounds on it (still don't understand why people use rounds on a fretless rosewood board). I tried all sorts of different strings on the bass and the TI Jazz Flats just gave the best sound out of all of them. Even my trusty Status halfwounds. The TIs were really quite an old set too. So, to sum up - I like the sound.

I had to check a packet - you're right JF344's .070 A - & yes they're balanced lovely. I love the soft & smooth feel on a Jazz bass, fretted & fretless. They don't suit me on a Precision though. I prefer a heavier gauge for the definitive P bass tone, personal favourites GHS Precision flats, 55 G, 70 D, 90 A & 105G.
The 43/56/70/100 TI's feel right to me on a Jazz neck, they balance the thinner neck better IMO & the GHS suit Precisions, both 1 5/8" & 1 3/4" varieties B)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1370185553' post='2097303']
I had to check a packet - you're right JF344's .070 A - & yes they're balanced lovely. I love the soft & smooth feel on a Jazz bass, fretted & fretless. They don't suit me on a Precision though. I prefer a heavier gauge for the definitive P bass tone, personal favourites GHS Precision flats, 55 G, 70 D, 90 A & 105G.
The 43/56/70/100 TI's feel right to me on a Jazz neck, they balance the thinner neck better IMO & the GHS suit Precisions, both 1 5/8" & 1 3/4" varieties B)
[/quote]

Thank you, this set would be going on a Jazz so thats very helpful. I agree about the Precision requiring a heavy set, which actually confused me too as I read that these come on the Pino P - Bass, can't account for personal taste though can you!

Thanks for the responses to all, I just bought a set, looking forward to them arriving :D

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1370203033' post='2097596']
Exactly and from what you've said you are taking a risk.
[/quote]

True, but it's £42 so is relatively low risk. More importantly, these strings are well recommended and I was concerned about the balance, KiOgan seems like he's on my wavelength and the curiosity is building for sure. The pro's like them, I wonder why?

You're not hanging out with my mother are you?!! :D

Cheers pal.

The Thomastics have got a unique sound and feel , and that is why they find favour with many players , amateurs and pros alike . These strings have a very different construction to any other electric bass string on the market , with a layer of cotton between the outer wrap and the core of the string . That and the round core helps give them a very flexable feel that feels much more familiar to players used to the feel of roundwound strings . I like the rubbery feel and sound of these Thomastics in preference to any other flatwound string by a country mile , and if you want to experiment with flats they are the best place to start , in my opinion , unless you like a very tight feel . The Thomastics are also kinder to the neck of your bass than a lot of flatwound strings because they are less tension , another big plus point they have going for them .

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370183858' post='2097288']
It's been quite a few years since I last played Thomastik flats, and back then I was still using round wounds and was not particularly interested (shame on me, I know).

So my main question is why do [u][b]you[/b][/u] use them?

My other question is how do you get on with the 'different to usual' string gauges? I'm finding it hard to imagine using a 70 gauge A string and getting some weight in the tone, especially as I play soul, groove, dub, funk rock type bass lines most. These sets must be balanced, but how?!!!!!

Thank you.
[/quote]
I like the sound and the feel of them and they are on the bass.

As for gauge, I never really think about string gauge. Gauge on its own means nothing. I don't really get this 'different to usual' string gauges idea.

On my four basses I have at the moment:

TI Jazz Flats - 43-56-70-100
Pyramid Gold Flats - 40-55-75-105
Rotosound Trubass - 65-75-100-115
La Bella 760FS - 45-65-85-105

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370193382' post='2097423']
Thank you, this set would be going on a Jazz so thats very helpful. I agree about the Precision requiring a heavy set, which actually confused me too as I read that these come on the Pino P - Bass, can't account for personal taste though can you!

Thanks for the responses to all, I just bought a set, looking forward to them arriving :D
[/quote]
I've got La Bellas on my Precision at present but I did use TIs on a Precision for many years and they sounded great.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370193382' post='2097423']

[/quote]

Well each to his own, but I disagree - i think they sound great on my Precision.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1370185553' post='2097303']
[/quote]
If those GHS flats are like the Lakland Joe Osborn flats then I like them too.

In fact, as long as they are flat, I'm not really fussy.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370203555' post='2097602']
True, but it's £42 so is relatively low risk. More importantly, these strings are well recommended and I was concerned about the balance, KiOgan seems like he's on my wavelength and the curiosity is building for sure. The pro's like them, I wonder why?

You're not hanging out with my mother are you?!! :D

Cheers pal.
[/quote]

Hey pal, if you think £42 is relatively low risk, good luck to you :D
Let us know how you like them.

PS
Give my love to your mother ;)

I remember reading an interesting few words on flatwounds, and why they are so great for grooving. They have a quick, but delicate attack and a quick decay. Perfect for really nailing a groove. The piece continued to say that this was why they were superior to roundwounds (this I don't agree with) but it summed up why they are great for grooves. They respond quickly to your inputs, but dump their kinetic energy fairly quickly, meaning you don't have to work hard to mute them out. They also tend to 'fade' into a busier mix and have a very distinct tonal spectrum, great for isolating the bass from other instruments.

Of course, they have downsides too, which for me make them fairly useless. It's been years since I played with them, but they have their place.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1370217705' post='2097796']
Hey pal, if you think £42 is relatively low risk, good luck to you :D
Let us know how you like them.
PS
Give my love to your mother ;)
[/quote]

Mate, I can't see why your negative about someone taking a risk to try these well regarding strings?

It seems to me like everyone here cares about their bass tone, how do you know if you don't try? I like Flats and been using them for a few years, now I want to get a top shelf set for my top shelf Fender Custom Shop bass. I'm sold on the idea!

[b][size=4]"It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win" – John Paul Jones[/size][/b]

And really, mother jokes like that? :o :gas:

Edited by Chiliwailer

I have them on both my fretless basses. I like them for many of the reasons above, the slightly lower tension, the feel under the fingers and most importantly the tone they generate. I think they are particularly good on my 35" scale bass, where although the tension is a little higher they seem to really sing.

On my Antoria Jazz bass I have the Fender CL9050 flats that are slightly heavier gauge, but still nice under the digit and do seem to produce a very warm sounding tone.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370237071' post='2097839']
Mate, I can't see why your negative about someone taking a risk to try these well regarding strings?

It seems to me like everyone here cares about their bass tone, how do you know if you don't try? I like Flats and been using them for a few years, now I want to get a top shelf set for my top shelf Fender Custom Shop bass. I'm sold on the idea!

[b]"It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win" – John Paul Jones[/b]

And really, mother jokes like that? :o :gas:
[/quote]

Sorry if I offended you mate, you started with the mother jokes not me so I mistakenly presumed you had a SOH.
You asked for advice but you didn't say you only wanted positive comments.
I find TIs too thin and middy for the styles you mentioned, hence the warning - wish I hadn't bothered now.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1370257544' post='2098098']

Sorry if I offended you mate, you started with the mother jokes not me so I mistakenly presumed you had a SOH.
You asked for advice but you didn't say you only wanted positive comments.
I find TIs too thin and middy for the styles you mentioned, hence the warning - wish I hadn't bothered now.
[/quote]

You didn't offend me, I put smiles after the comment. I sure did leave the door open for that one...

Yeah, negative advice is good, but I didn't ask for life coaching on taking risks, lol!

No hard feelings at all, I'lll let you know how I get on with then. You may just be right.

Edited by Chiliwailer

I have used TI flats for the past 10 years on all my basses - Precission, Jazz and a GB Rumour, (I don't think Bernie was impressed). It took me 20 years to find a string that i liked so much. The only way i can describe them is a beautiful consistent and mellow tone, actually improving once they are worn in a bit,

The best advice i can offer is to try them, you may just find as i did that you never want any other type of string. If they are not for you then offer me the set 2nd hand for a reasonable price!