Why become a member? ×

Get Lucky

Pete Academy

So who else's covers band will be doing this track this summer? :-)

I wouldn't class it as a rip- off either if the man himself is part of it fwiw. Depends I guess if you want to best them up over it. Saying that I always tongue firmly in cheek refer to Ray of Light as a William Orbit album with Madge on guest vocals

[color="#000000"]I think its relatively refreshing. When else do we have funk/house/pop like this dominating the radio/clubs/iTunes charts? It is great that so many people enjoy it.[/color]

[color="#000000"]You have the bass nerds, Daft Punk fans, house fans, funk fans, Pharrell fans, hip hop/pop/rnb fans, and the clubbers.[/color]

[color="#000000"]I’ve been out a lot over the past few weeks in Sheffield and Newcastle, and every bar / club is playing it, and it is a hit already. Probably one of those songs that will remind me of Summer 2013, (and the crap weather).[/color]

[color="#000000"]Great feel good funky tune, with a super cool melody. Instantly catchy.[/color]

I don't see how it's directly a Chic ripoff when it actually features half of the songwriting team of Chic on the album.

It is nothing groundbreaking that's for sure, more annoying still is that everyone seems terrifyed of giving it a bad critic, complete bandwagoning going on. I am a huge Daft Punk fan, the album features some good moments but I think Thomas Bangalter and Guy Manuel de-Homem Christo have missed the mark this time. Daft Punk were always electronic artists that emulated live sounding house music, now they're just getting other musicians to do it for them and they've lost their appeal.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1369165690' post='2085772']The new Daft Punk single is ultra catchy and has Nathan East on bass and Nile Rodgers on guitar. But I can't help thinking it's just a Chic rip-off. Anyone agree?[/quote]
I kind of agree. But tell that to anyone on the danceloor and they'll say "So what?" :P

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1369218212' post='2086351']I love it and I don't care if it's a rip off - proper musicians playing funk grooves in the charts again... what's not to like???[/quote]
Ditto...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1369219239' post='2086363']I am sick of it already, which makes me a bit sad.[/quote]
...and ditto! Well, I'm starting to get sick of [i]Get Lucky[/i] - but only 'cos it's being played to death on the radio. 'Tis a great bass riff though. Quite simple but with lots of room for improvising. I've been having fun at home jamming to it :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1369215863' post='2086306']
Can't really figure out what Daft Punk are doing on most of the tracks on the album... guess they just sit and watch!
[/quote]

And learning. :)

Great track, and Nile Rodgers still grooving away.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I don't agree that it's a Chic rip off when it's Nile Rodgers playing, if it was anyone else then yeah, maybe, but I do think that because NR's guitar style is so distinctive it doesn't really sound like Daft Punk. More so with Pharrell singing too.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1369215863' post='2086306']
Can't really figure out what Daft Punk are doing on most of the tracks on the album... guess they just sit and watch!
[/quote]

Greatest thing about them is that they do all the technical wizardry stuff. Daft Punk are producers, in my mind.

Get lucky is a great song, but what is even greater is the rest of the bloody album. It's incredibly funky, expect to hear some modernised cliches from the past. There are some big hitting songs that sound like really expensive tracks that a magician or some other performer would play during their act, but it doesn't sound like a gimmick, it doesn't sound chintzy. The track with Giorgio is immense! And the greatest thing about it all is it's going to breathe new life into funk, and make it a cool thing again. I think we should expect to hear a little more funk persuasion in the future (oh, and like that sentence won't come back in a few years to bite me on the ass if i'm wrong :D)

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1369222009' post='2086426']
I don't see how it's directly a Chic ripoff when it actually features half of the songwriting team of Chic on the album.

It is nothing groundbreaking that's for sure, more annoying still is that everyone seems terrifyed of giving it a bad critic, complete bandwagoning going on. I am a huge Daft Punk fan, the album features some good moments but I think Thomas Bangalter and Guy Manuel de-Homem Christo have missed the mark this time. Daft Punk were always electronic artists that emulated live sounding house music, now they're just getting other musicians to do it for them and they've lost their appeal.
[/quote]

I disagree. I was never anti-Daft Punk, but this album appeals to me quite a bit, because of the grooves and rhythms. It is something new in a way that it's clashed a couple of different, very obvious, decades of music together, and while doing so, made them all sound better. If you're more into the old Daft Punk, that's cool, but I wouldn't say anybody who likes this one is "bandwagoning", personally, I think it's better than the likes of Discovery, which is an OK album, but next to this, no contest in my mind.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1369243853' post='2086861']
I disagree. I was never anti-Daft Punk, but this album appeals to me quite a bit, because of the grooves and rhythms. It is something new in a way that it's clashed a couple of different, very obvious, decades of music together, and while doing so, made them all sound better. If you're more into the old Daft Punk, that's cool, but I wouldn't say anybody who likes this one is "bandwagoning", personally, I think it's better than the likes of Discovery, which is an OK album, but next to this, no contest in my mind.
[/quote]

The press are bandwagoning is what I meant. Not everyone, but most seem to afraid to knock the album for fear of being out of the loop concerning current musical trends, no one wanting to contradict each other and Daft Punk's PR team have got them trending big style right now. If nothing else it's a lesson in the power of good label PR. The record is at best an interesting disco collaboration album with a lot of hype surrounding it, and it would be fair to say that if Daft Punk hadn't had a serious fan base and a good back catalogue then in the current climate of music the album wouldn't get the faintest look in.

My point about it being live instruments is just me being a Homework/Discovery fan. Daft Punk were always a band that stopped short of picking up real instruments, that was the appeal. As far as pop tunes go, RAM has got 'Get Lucky' as a decent album release but Discovery had it all, within reason 70% of the songs on the album could have charted.

Edited by risingson

Have to say, I never realised so many people liked Daft Punk until the news of this CD was released... all of a sudden, friends all pretend they've always liked the robots... Pretty much the same thing happened when Michael Jackson died - I remember telling a mate that MJ was one of my fave artists and they laughed. As soon as news of his passing spread, everyone was going on about how much they loved his music!

Guess we're just trend setters!

Fave track on the album though is 'Fragments of Time', it's got that west coast feel ala Steely Dan/Aja

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1369247839' post='2086934']
Have to say, I never realised so many people liked Daft Punk until the news of this CD was released... all of a sudden, friends all pretend they've always liked the robots... Pretty much the same thing happened when Michael Jackson died - I remember telling a mate that MJ was one of my fave artists and they laughed. As soon as news of his passing spread, everyone was going on about how much they loved his music!

Guess we're just trend setters!

Fave track on the album though is 'Fragments of Time', it's got that west coast feel ala Steely Dan/Aja
[/quote]

I'm not surprised with the amount of promotion they've had with this album. But it's probably not unlikely for people just to say things just to fit in. I listened to the new album yesterday at 12.45pm, just 45 minutes after it was released on Spotify, and I had decided it was fantastic before any of my friends had even had a chance to listen to it. I have however already said that I wasn't a massive fan of their before, but it's not like I didn't like them, I did, I just like them far far more now based on this album. If they died before this album was made, I wouldn't act like I was a massive fan.

Hehe yeah I also think musicians like the album in general because even if they aren't massively interested in the music, it's a return to the good old fashioned type of albums where you have great session players and actual instruments, grooves and of course funky bass!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1369254246' post='2087026']
I like the album because of the music, but holy hell is there some inspirational playing on that album, and not just for bass, guitar, drums and synth. It's fantastic.
[/quote]

Yeah me too. It's a nice addition to my collection and it's nice to drive to at night!

Anyone know for sure who played on what tracks? Omar Hakim and J.R drumming, sounds like JR on my fave track but would be interested to find out.