Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-810AV or Barefaced 69'er?

Johnnyc

It is about control. You'll find an engr will want you to monitor your space..and he can 'control' the stage mix with
a monitor mix from wedges and side fills. If the bass is getting everywhere, and the source is the volume from the bass player's rig..then neither
he ( FOH ) nor the mon mix guy can control that easily.
This is why you might see a whole array of stacks on the stage..to look VERY impressive, but only one is fired up..
and being used. The side fills will do the work of the stage...and you are using your rig as YOUR bass monitor.
On smaller stages..with less onstage monitor control... your bass monitor might have to fill the stage more...
depending on the mixes you have ... and the capability of the monitors to take bass.
For 3-400 hundred seaters, it is quite possible that the stage sound will leek out front...and agains, it is a wrestle for control
of the signals....so bleeds are used to help the sound..as, again, it is hard to get rid of these signals using 3-4k P.A's
It is not as easy as turning down an amp so there is no overlap as the band needs to have a decent amount of ooomph
to perfom with ..
Of course, it depends on the band and music, as well.. but you try and capture a high powered metal act with
lower power on stage ...
I doubt it will happen :lol: :lol:
This is all before you get to the stage of having production meetings about it all .....etc etc

Edited by JTUK

Hmm well there seems to be quite a divide in opinion over this!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1369812520' post='2092890']
An Ampeg 810 for pose value ? .... meh, IMO waste of time.
[/quote]
Not trying to start an argument but not sure I quite agree with this, image is a huge part of being in a successful band... When it all comes down to it you are selling yourselves as a product, you have to look the part as well as sound it.

I wouldn't get one based purely on the look anyway, although one does have to consider it as a factor.

Also I can see where JTUK is coming from as I've played places where volume is a real issue and they like to keep everything as quiet on stage as possible, with a drum screen and everything; don't particularly wanna fill the room with bass when the level I want my rig at is too loud for the rest of the room.

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1369833940' post='2093209']
....image is a huge part of being in a successful band... When it all comes down to it you are selling yourselves as a product, you have to look the part as well as sound it....
[/quote]

You are right, so keep the S12 and use that.

Then plonk an Ampeg fridge beside it for show and you've covered both requirements.

Haha ok yeah the way that last post came across made me sound like a bit of a tool... I'm not that much of a poser... Honest!

But considering the type of cab i'm after why wouldn't I go for the one that visually matches my current gear, and still has the tone I want?

Yeah I think, looking at it objectively, if the 810 stack/Ampeg is necessary, I`d look at two of the 410s. They`re heavy but manageable. On-stage it will look the same, plus for rehearsals there`s the luxury of only having to use one of them.

Ok well the surprising outcome of this latest saga: I've been in contact with Alex at Barefaced over the last few days; they make the '69er in pairs and are about to start a pair very soon, while only one of this pair is sold. So last night I bought myself a '69er which will be ready just before I hit up the studio.
Result.

Then buy a broken down SVT810, rip the insides out of it so its just a box with a grille, and stick your Barefaced inside! Best of both worlds for you.

Mind you, I'd rock a BF with pride - great gear and its nice to see something other than the usual suspects on stage.

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1370343497' post='2099303']
...I bought myself a '69er which will be ready just before I hit up the studio. Result.[/quote]

I think you made the right choice. :)

Edited by discreet

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372439304' post='2125825']I fancied a Barefaced cab, but what put me off was the mic'ing up the cab problem. With each speaker separated, you would need three mics, and that just aint feasible for moi :(
[/quote]

You definitely don't need three mics! Live I'd point the mic at the middle of the middle speaker on the left hand side (one of the full-range pair), with the '69er.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I agree, I definitely made the right choice! This thing sounds incredible! And somehow it feels lighter than the Super Twelve just because of how big it is in comparison. I much prefer the handles on it too.
Our producer was loving it last week, got some really great tones out of it, I can't wait for these tracks to be released :)