Why become a member? ×

Our Drummer's just quit!! Wonderful timing as usual

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='211255' date='Jun 2 2008, 05:32 PM']And thanks to all of you who've asked to be first in line when I have my "toys out of pram" sale!!

So far, I reckon I've "sold" both my Jazz bass and Little Mark twice!!

There's nothing like feeling supported :)[/quote]

I hope you've noticed that we're all too gentlemanly to mention the Shuker?

Or have you had a dozen begging PMs?

[quote name='bremen' post='211341' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:25 PM']I hope you've noticed that we're all too gentlemanly to mention the Shuker?

Or have you had a dozen begging PMs?[/quote]

I'm afraid I'd have to sell the Shuker as unseen still......

Plenty of interest in the Jazz bass WHICH I'M NOT SELLING :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I have to say Ive been lucky with drummers, I'm pretty keen on developing the rhythm section and grooves whilst the other guys battle for the limelight. Most splits Ive been involved with have occured because of "musical differences" between the singer and guitarist or the guitarist is painfully loud or the singer wants to woo the women with "Mustang Sally".

Ive always found the "Rhythm Section" camp to be a very fruitful affair (to date) its just the wailers and wangers that Fxxk things up. Ive worked with my mate and drummer for 5 years and just moved from band to band as a rhythm section. Weve recently auditioned for some plum paying gigs so fingers crossed the magic will remain. My previous partner in crime moved to london to seek his fortune and he's done rather well, worked on the Heather Small album and sessioneered for loads of names.

Bands are always a pain in the arse but the pain of not gigging is much worse

We are all cursed.

Good luck with the search OH Murphy

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

Jeez...seems I'm blessed - all the bands I'm in have (usually) the same drummer, been friends with him for yonks and we're tighter than a tight thing :)

Still, people just upping and leaving is just not on - frontman/only guitarist did for one band of mine a while ago. Lost some nice gigs over it too.

Dicks.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='211432' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:19 PM']Jeez...seems I'm blessed - all the bands I'm in have (usually) the same drummer, been friends with him for yonks and we're tighter than a tight thing :)

Still, people just upping and leaving is just not on - frontman/only guitarist did for one band of mine a while ago. Lost some nice gigs over it too.

Dicks.[/quote]

We're getting by on deps in my rock band side project, the last keyboard player left and took the drummer with him. Have got a better keys man now but auditioning 3 drummers on Weds night. I bet at least one does not turn up. We once had a drummer who auditioned and asked if we minded if he played everything slower......! I'm really hoping for a drummer who I can 'lock' with, the Trio hasn't got one and I miss that rythmn section bonding!

well, can anyone tell me what to do. I have a drummer and a singer leading. the singer sucks and cant sing high (Girl). When i sing I have to sing lead because she cant. anways the drummer is ok for what we do. and we have 1 guitarist. so its going to be me and the guitarist. tell me.. how am i going to get a drummer a singer and/or another guitarist. not to mention we play music that not many people like to play. christian. god music but to slow for everyone. well ehhh thats my issue

Need to spend more time rattling around on my Roland TD3's and get myself a proper accoustic kit as there are so many bands looking for drummers and I think it would be fun playing in a band on a different instrument !!

( setting up your drums tends to get you out of setting up the PA, lights, backdrop etc as well !! )

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='211504' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:18 AM'].......... not to mention we play music that not many people like to play. christian. god music but to slow for everyone. well ehhh thats my issue[/quote]

Heh, that's what I want to play - bass or guitar in a Christian Worship band. Wrong continent unfortunately.

Interesting thread on the pitfalls of playing with other people. As someone who never has, it sure sounds like a lot of aggro.
Someone commented on the hassle of 9 hours rehearsal a week - sounds brilliant to me!

OHM, I have a few drummer's numbers in Surrey if you need deps for the gigs?

I totally understand where you're coming from with the rant, but I get it with singers, not drummers! Our function band drummer is great, he writes out the parts and has them to hand at gigs just in case. Meanwhile our singers are always whinging about this or that, and one of them still has to have the bloody lyrics on a music stand 5 years after we started the band. Even [b]I[/b] know them by now!

[quote name='Merton' post='211585' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:44 AM']Even [b]I[/b] know them by now![/quote]

I used to feel like that! I got so sick of singers that I started singing myself - I may not be a great singer (though hopefully I will eventually become a good singer) but I remember the lyrics, I don't have to stand around waiting for myself to turn up, I own my own mic and can actually operate a PA, I don't look bored when instrumental stuff is happening and hopefully playing bass at the same time means the audience cut me some slack on my tuning and tonal aberrations... :)

Alex

[quote name='paul, the' post='211688' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:05 PM']The quickest way of getting over the old one will be gigging/jamming with a new one.[/quote]

Aye, I really got on with our last drummer. Really nice fella and gave us loads of notice when he left (went to university) - but our new drummer is equally great all round. Both totally different in style and technique which has made us learn the same songs over again - but that's good and has been fun. The songs are much better now, and better than they would have been if we had our current drummer from the start if you see what I mean...

We spent ages trying to find a replacement - but in the end it was well worth it.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='211501' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:08 AM']We're getting by on deps in my rock band side project, the last keyboard player left and took the drummer with him. Have got a better keys man now but auditioning 3 drummers on Weds night. I bet at least one does not turn up. We once had a drummer who auditioned and asked if we minded if he played everything slower......! I'm really hoping for a drummer who I can 'lock' with, the Trio hasn't got one and I miss that rythmn section bonding![/quote]

Just an update from last night: 3 people to see, 1 dropped out, the other had never played with anyone else before despite talking up his prowess on the phone and was ****and the other fitted the bill but wanted function money now.....!
Anyone know of an available rock/soul drummer in Leeds/Bradford area please?

Edited by yorks5stringer

Hey, I'm looking for a Little Mark.

.........................I'm sure it won't come to that Nick.

I was in exactly this situation a few years back - drummer wouldn't practise then got frustrated/angry when chastised for making a b******s of everything. Got me up against the wall with a drum stick half way up my nose once too often and myself and the guitarist walked. For the last 5 years we've had a trio with a singer and dare I say it - some MD backing. Works well, cuts down on the rehearsal requirements and means we can play smaller places (for more money/person).

Don't get me wrong, I still miss the fully live vibe but I can usually get this out of my system by going to the odd jam night. Look on it as an opportunity - you might be surprised with the fun you'll have in the semi-acoustic project.

I've always got on with drummers, may vaguely help that I was a drum roadie for a short period and do actually get quite interested when I see a really nice kit (my last drummer had a lovely green sparkle Yamaha!).

My current drummer is like a metronome. Has every song written down and reads whilst playing, has an in-ear monitor system with a click track and pretty much never misses a beat. Lucky in a way as he's a bit of a "jazzer" and has lost me on more than occasion with one of his strange time signature fills but then is straight back on the one bang on time after the fill!

Now, don't get me started on singers though, that's a whole different world of pain. . . . . . . .