Why become a member? ×

why is 'depping' called 'depping' & whats the etiquete

iconic

Is it shorthand for deputising?

Ive been asked to play for a band whilst the usual player is off.

now i only noodle around at home with the lead singer guitar player whose one of those talented mobile kareokke machines...give him a tune and he will sing and play it, excellently...he seems very confident enough with me or desperate!

Anyway whats the form?....ive already found from noodling with few players that for the most part proper chords seem not to matter to some (!) so im guessing i need the played version of any set list so i get both chords and key..should i ask if a cd is available?

Any help welcome.....in a state of slight tipssyness i agreed....got a while to go yet!

I dont think i need worry about talent scounts or paperrattzi just yet....sex before/after gig etc

Edited by iconic

I've always assumed that it was short for deputising.

Change of key is common enough, as the band will often change to suit the singer's range. It can be an annoyance to transpose on the hoof just because the band neglected to tell you that they play this one in G. Often they have been playing it that way for so long, they've forgotton that the original was in F. Get this clarified before you play with them!

As for disregarding the original chords, this is something I've not experienced, unless it's a totally different arrangement.

If I were you, I'd get the setlist with keys, get to know that, then sit with the guitarist and get to know where he plays the chords differently.

Good luck

Edited by Roland Rock

The main one I do I tend to show up & know a fair few - as they're classic rawk tracks - and busk the rest. As long as I can see what the rythmn guitar's doing can get there on the fly. Biggest problem there is that there is some duplication of songs from one of the bands I am with but in different keys, which can be a bit of a trial at times.

Had another - that fell through after I'd done all the work for it :angry: - where I was given a DropBox link to the songs in the set and worked through those for any awkward bits. May have one coming up with my drummers funky function band and should get a recording of their sets to work through.

Got asked some years back for another with a three pice (so no place to hide) and was told it was chord charts. Fair enough I should be OK to busk it. Turned up and was handed a folder of flysh1t. That was not a happy night.

As above a setlist with keys is a great starting point. If they have MP3's of a set that you can listen trough to for the gist of the layout and tops & tails then so much the better

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1367216876' post='2062545']
I dont think i need worry about talent scounts or paperrattzi just yet....sex before/after gig etc
[/quote]

just try and blag that youre the drummer - most of the audience wont have even noticed you playing the bass unless youve been jumping around tigger stylee

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1367223479' post='2062625']
got a missing string on that instrument ;)
[/quote]

He was always a very heavy-handed player was ol' dep' Dawg. He also suffered consistent problems with the string-break angle on the bridge of his banjo-bass.

Times was tough Muskie.... oh yeah, times was tough.

Is it covers you're doing?
If so, half learn them off the original, then get together and work on the finer points.
Too many times I've been asked to stand in, given a list of songs to learn, and when you get to rehearsal you find the guitarist hasn't actually learnt the song, but scrounged the tabs off the net and they're playing what the bloke who wrote the tab 'thinks' it should be, which is usually completely different from the original!

Depping is what it is.

I did a gig on Saturday with a 7-piece funk band that featured two deps, the pianist and myself, both jazzers first and foremost. We were discussing it afterwards. The funk players, who were not readers and had long ago learned their parts by rote, were stressing all evening about what we newbies 'knew' and 'didn't know'. We just said 'assume we don't know anything but that it doesn't matter'. They couldn't process it at all and looked nervous as fcuk when we got on stage :lol: When we picked up out instruments, I didn't actually 'know' any of the tunes at all, although I had heard some of them somewhere in the past, and the chord charts were just the usual Am, G7 type things with no detail of grooves etc.

By the end of the night, the band were called 'Gods of Music' by the people who had booked them :lol: We just ripped s*** out of the grooves, nailed the details by a mixture of musicality, vague/subconcious familiarity with songs we knew of, hard-listening, reading signals, bluffing and our innate familiarity with idiomatic cliches. Mostly, familiarity with the role of your instrument and knowing the damn thing inside out.

In short, you just gotta be ready to play. 'Knowing' the tunes is great (although, in my experience, no two musicians 'know' something the same way :lol:) but, without that, you just need to be match fit and ready to blow. Some of the best music I have ever played has been under these circumstances; it can bring out the best in you.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367230002' post='2062724']
...nailed the details by a mixture of musicality, vague/subconcious familiarity with songs we knew of, hard-listening, reading signals, bluffing and our innate familiarity with idiomatic cliches. Mostly, familiarity with the role of your instrument and knowing the damn thing inside out.
[/quote]

...otherwise known as being a "real" musician. A state we should all aspire to, but not all of us manage to reach, or reach consistently.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1367230002' post='2062724']
In short, you just gotta be ready to play. 'Knowing' the tunes is great (although, in my experience, no two musicians 'know' something the same way :lol:) but, without that, you just need to be match fit and ready to blow. Some of the best music I have ever played has been under these circumstances; it can bring out the best in you.
[/quote]

Truer than a true thing on national truth day.

Ohh bugger now im flapping....

No one mentioned i had to be a real musician when i agreed to to this....now i'm getting worried.....i thought the concencus was i had to spontaneously combust before anyone would notice the bass player!

Many thanks for the advice gentlemen, much apphreciated

......no mention of hats?

Edited by iconic

Ignore all this "real musician" stuff.

I'm assuming the guitarist you play with is the guy who's asked you to dep in his band?

If he's as good as you say, trust his judgement. You can do it.

Get a set list, keys, Youtube's and mp3's.

Start at the top and work your way through it. If you need to make charts do so.

Have fun, don't freeze, don't worry and it'll be fine.

I've depped a few times for bands, and have learned a lot...

Most important things are:
1) Find out out what songs are in the set list and what key they are in. Make up your own chord charts to get you through the gig.
2) If you've got the opportunity of any rehearsals beforehand, it's a plus. Gives you a chance to meet the band in a less pressurised situation.
3) On the gig, just play what's appropriate for the songs.
4) Be polite and friendly - this is a real deal maker or breaker as your attitude can be the difference between getting more work, or not getting anything.

Let us know how you get on :).

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1367302421' post='2063795']
Ohh bugger now im flapping....

No one mentioned i had to be a real musician when i agreed to to this....now i'm getting worried.....i thought the concencus was i had to spontaneously combust before anyone would notice the bass player!

Many thanks for the advice gentlemen, much apphreciated

......no mention of hats?
[/quote]

Relax...if you can't do a Bilbo, a good hat [b]will[/b] get you through. :)

Last time I depped I was sent a set of over 40 songs and slogged through as many as I could in the time available and at least it was with someone I'd jammed with before. On the night we played about 5 of them, rest were just thrown at me out of the blue (2x1hr sets). Most of the time I had a spotlight in my face so difficult to look over at the guitarist to actually see what he was playing.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1367310050' post='2063885']
Last time I depped I was sent a set of over 40 songs and slogged through as many as I could in the time available and at least it was with someone I'd jammed with before. On the night we played about 5 of them, rest were just thrown at me out of the blue (2x1hr sets). Most of the time I had a spotlight in my face so difficult to look over at the guitarist to actually see what he was playing.
[/quote]

Way to make the guy feel relaxed Kev ;-)

You've been picked. They want you. You're over half way there already.

Fewer notes played right will beat any number of cleaver bass lines that don't quite fit.

Don't dwell on the cock-up's or over analyse. It's only rock and roll and you'll be fine.

If you play the verse when everyone else is playing the middle 8 just tell them it's jazz.